Why are there no great brothels any more?

There still are some high class brothels operating in NY. The real good ones have such a large client base, that they no longer need to advertise. There are others. Look and you will find.
Then the premise of the original poster(s) is wrong...unless what they want are great, CHEAP, brothels. Right, guys?

Then the premise of the original poster(s) is wrong...unless what they want are great, CHEAP, brothels. Right, guys?
Look, there's no question that, in this country (and in this city) you can get just about anything you want if you're willing to spend a lot of money. It seems to me that the goal of most hobbyists is to get what they want without spending a lot. But that could just be me.

There was a kind of place that used to be around that is difficult/impossible to find these days:

--Mid-range in price i.e. a good bit more than street action, quickie joints, or NJ dive bars, but less than the mainstream extras experience as described above, or most of the more expensive independents. It seems like the low end and high end have survived at the expense of the middle, in pricing terms.

--An incall with a good selection, with some variety and generally much better quality than the low-end options. Incall with a selection is just a different experience than outcall, just as a brothel is a different scene than a UG club.

--Fairly easy to find and get into, with standard prices. The sex business is a lot more paranoid than it used to be.

These places used to advertise in the back of the Voice, NY Press, and Screw...you could call up and get in if you sounded reasonable...you could ask who was working and there would be some options; you could call a few places until you found someone to your liking. While there was variation in quality, you pretty much got to do what you were expecting to do, and didn't have to know anyone to get in, or worry about being ripped off.

I guess Julie's was the last of this kind of place, but there used to be a lot of them; people still ask about them in the "Remember When?" threads here.

You may drop thousands and get nothing more then an intense LD. Who do you complain to?
Not if you know what you are doing.

Experienced VIP mongers have the deal sealed and know the amount BEFORE they enter the room.

You NEVER negotiate terms with a dancer who has her hands on your zipper. Its too late at that point. How do you think straight when you have already payed out something like $400+ for the VIP for the hour and all the blood is racing to your dick?

Its like being short stacked in Texas Hold'em if you got 2/3's of your chips in the pot already and a guy goes all in on you committing your final 1/3 on the turn. You are going to call. At that point you have to. She'll likely get anything she asks for, even if it is unreasonable.

In S-C's with high end VIP's you get to know the management, at the very least the bartenders, take care of them well, let them know your tastes and steer you to the dancer, make the deal before you go into the room, than enjoy yourself.

Look, there's no question that, in this country (and in this city) you can get just about anything you want if you're willing to spend a lot of money. It seems to me that the goal of most hobbyists is to get what they want without spending a lot. But that could just be me.
It isnt just you. I'm something of a cheapskate myself.

But the title of this thread is NOT: "Why are there no great, cheap, brothels anymore?"

Last edited:
Not if you know what you are doing.

Experienced VIP mongers have the deal sealed and know the amount BEFORE they enter the room.

You NEVER negotiate terms with a dancer who has her hands on your zipper. Its too late at that point. How do you think straight when you have already payed out something like $400+ for the VIP for the hour and all the blood is racing to your dick?

Its like being short stacked in Texas Hold'em if you got 2/3's of your chips in the pot already and a guy goes all in on you committing your final 1/3 on the turn. You are going to call. At that point you have to. She'll likely get anything she asks for, even if it is unreasonable.

In S-C's with high end VIP's you get to know the management, at the very least the bartenders, take care of them well, let them know your tastes and steer you to the dancer, make the deal before you go into the room, than enjoy yourself.
I'd say something slightly different.

At high-end NYC clubs, you do this through the management. You don't "negotiate" AT ALL with the dancer. You don't discuss services AT ALL. Management is responsible for getting you what you want. Management has to make it up to you if somehow they don't.

When it gets too expensive to run an operation with low prices the service doesnt go away, it just goes upscale. Or, rather, all that remains is upscale...
IMHO this explains why there are no great, cheap, brothels anymore; but let me expand on this.

Whenever there is LE pressure (or economic pressure, for that matter) on illegal businesses, the first thing to go will be the cheap stuff. Throw in the changing demographics in the large US cities (specifically, the large proportion of non-english speaking providers at the low end of the cost scale) and that puts the last nail in the coffin as far as people like you and I are concerned.

At high-end NYC clubs, you do this through the management. You don't "negotiate" AT ALL with the dancer. You don't discuss services AT ALL. Management is responsible for getting you what you want. Management has to make it up to you if somehow they don't.
At that point, what's the difference between pimping and running a brothel?

(Maybe the distinction was always subtle and I'm just splitting hairs here. But, with most of the brothels I've been to, you make an appointment, there's a choice of girls, you negotiate a price with the Madam, pay her, and then, all too often, get hussled by the girl for more money. With a pimp, you usually tell him/her what you're looking for and he/she takes care of everything.)

(Maybe the distinction was always subtle and I'm just splitting hairs here. But, with most of the brothels I've been to, you make an appointment, there's a choice of girls, you negotiate a price with the Madam, pay her, and then, all too often, get hussled by the girl for more money. With a pimp, you usually tell him/her what you're looking for and he/she takes care of everything.)
I'm not sure I understand the question. What IS the difference?

(Although by your definition, it's more like a brothel than a pimp.)

(And note, in case it isn't clear [I'm not sure], when I say "management", I mean club management.)

On the exchange between Monk and Axe, I think the point is that the places Eddy is talking about are now so exclusive that, unless you already have entry, they're as good as nonexistent.

The point about brothels used to be that you could go to them.

You know, at underground clubs there are often guys lurking about who aren't affiliated with the venue but who run certain girls there.
I was approached by a girl at asscon who tried to recruite me to work with/for her pimp. He was standing nearby eyeballing me. I was like, "huh?! why in the world would I want to do that?" (well, I didn't literally say that.... but, ya know.) I don't understand the benefits of a pimp/ho relationship for a woman at all.

EB, you're among friends here. Specifically, which places are you talking about?
Monk - You have know a steady client to get in, also they protect there clients, if you are waiting for a girl, and a client comes up, they give you something to cover your face.

The spots are not cheap. Have you checked New York Mag, or the New Yorker?

Exactly. Totally agreed.

Now, when you are dealing in the lower rent area like GGR, VIP's, and others, management will point you at the gal but most of the time you are going to be doing the negotiating yourself. Other than that, same rules apply.

Theoretically the difference between a strip-club and a pimp is that pimps set the standards for the product. Usually by coercion. Management acts as agents for sub-contractors who set their own standards of comportment. The "agents" match the client to the provider, and take an agent's cut for facilitating the deal.

That is the theory. In practicality it totally depends on the place and there may be little difference at all.