Where to invest $

If you've been allocating for your clients for the pass 25 years based on that logic they are underperforming a naive buy and hold strategy by wide margins.Buy and hold the S&P that is.
Also, understanding “Alpha” is more important. Alpha is the return a manager gets above and beyond hat of a benchmark. That tells you if tor Advisor’s decisions are making you money. If you pick mutual funds, look at the portfolio managers Alpha. If it’s positive, they earn their fee. If not, bye bye.

I am debating doing that exactly..I ask prior to the meltdown to reduce risk a little so we cut back equities 5 percent and moved into more large blue chip dividend players.. I was reminded that I have a long term plan in place which I agreed to, but my bone of contention is should there have been more adjustment or reallocation from let’s say one sector to another- ?? ( I was clear from January that I did not want to increase equity exposure)
Sector rotation is at the core of one of my client strategies. Using index ETFs, you can rotate between sectors and over/under weight based on market perspective. That’s how an Advisor can add value. Doing nothing and owning one index like the S&P 500 means you own the good and bad parts of the market.

And if you want to see the value of an Advisor, look up the Vanguard study on Advisor value. Vanguard, who tells you to do it on your own, conducted a study and found that investors that use a Financial Advisor outperform this that don’t by 3-4% per year on average. So don’t believe me, believe the guys that have told you to do it on your own for decades. Even they realize how valuable an Advisor is. Of course, the Advisor you choose makes a difference.

pokler

Power Bottom
You’re basing this on the desire to beat “the market” which doesn’t take into account risk. It doesn’t take into account utility of ones money. So while I agree that if you have a pile of money that you don’t need for a specific amount of time and wish to match the return of one index, buy and hold and close your eyes. But that’s not reality. If it was, Warren Buffet wouldn’t be holding $130+billion in cash. Goals focused planning is founded in the basis that people invest to reach specific goals in life. Therefore, a risk adjusted approach is far more appropriate. He only index my clients need to beat is the one that determines if they can buy the second home, the classic car, pay for education, and retire with the lifestyle they desire. So through planning each client has their own index. And as I was institutional for many years, as a retail Advisor now, on a risk adjusted basis, my clients do very well.
No one is suggesting having all your money in the market at all times. One person may have 80% of his assets in the market and the next guys 20%. My comments of stay invested of course pertain to just the funds he has own stocks and bonds etc. If you are assessing Warren Buffets performance as a stock picker you would not include that pile of cash since the cash has its own utility such as a buffer to his other businesses and as a source to bail out others such as OXY for a huge divided

Also my favorite saying is " you cant eat risk adjusted returns" . The highest Sharpe ratio of any asset class is T BILLS even tho it pays very little. The reason is that the risk is so low thus making every unit of return ( as small as it may be) king size relative to almost non existent risk.

No one is suggesting having all your money in the market at all times. One person may have 80% of his assets in the market and the next guys 20%. My comments of stay invested of course pertain to just the funds he has own stocks and bonds etc. If you are assessing Warren Buffets performance as a stock picker you would not include that pile of cash since the cash has its own utility such as a buffer to his other businesses and as a source to bail out others such as OXY for a huge divided

Also my favorite saying is " you cant eat risk adjusted returns" . The highest Sharpe ratio of any asset class is T BILLS even tho it pays very little. The reason is that the risk is so low thus making every unit of return ( as small as it may be) king size relative to almost non existent risk.
Don’t disagree. But if I can make all your wildest dreams come true, and in order to do that, based on your financial plan, all we need is a 7% return, then why shoot for 10% and take on the additional risk? Because no one can tell when the bad year will happen, so if it’s the year you retire you’re screwed.
Listen, every client is different, with different desires and emotional and needs. My overall point it, if you’re paying anFinancial Advisor and they don’t do anything, and don’t understand you (based on what trader1 is saying) then fire him/her. But I don’t believe you just sit and do nothing, and there’s Nobel prize winning research (Modern Portfolio Theory) that would support that.

And if you want to see the value of an Advisor, look up the Vanguard study on Advisor value. Vanguard, who tells you to do it on your own, conducted a study and found that investors that use a Financial Advisor outperform this that don’t by 3-4% per year on average. So don’t believe me, believe the guys that have told you to do it on your own for decades. Even they realize how valuable an Advisor is. Of course, the Advisor you choose makes a difference.
Ty for insight-
Going to read up on this..
Is there a current guideline on sector allocation that is available to the public?

pokler

Power Bottom
Also, understanding “Alpha” is more important. Alpha is the return a manager gets above and beyond hat of a benchmark. That tells you if tor Advisor’s decisions are making you money. If you pick mutual funds, look at the portfolio managers Alpha. If it’s positive, they earn their fee. If not, bye bye.
Alpha needs to be adjusted for Beta risk. If the benchmark does 10% and I do 12% my alpha is not necessarily 2%.
If my beta ( how responsive my portfolio is relative to benchmark ) is .80 then I would be expected to return 80% of benchmark which is 8%. So if I actually do 12% my alpha is 4%.
Technically the return metric for alpha is excess return ( the return over t-bills). But since t-bills are pretty much zero return and excess return are vitally the same.