• 1301 to 1400

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • 1401 to1500

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • 1501 to 1600

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Wwanderer
It was a joke. It is a Catch-22; SB deducts points if you explicitly identify jokes, and the medium makes it impossible to implicitly identify them with tone or body language.

-Ww
Gee, and I thought you were being explicit, and I was being ironic.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Beyond SATs

Originally posted by justme
Let me also state that subjective, although inherently unfair, is not necessarily more fair than objective.
Agreed, of course. Moreover, I feel confident that there are school systems in the country which treat minorities more fairly than the SATs do, so to speak. There are also ones which unquestionably treat them less fairly, in my opinion. If you grew up in, and only have direct experience with, one of the former, you may have trouble imagining how bad it can be in the latter.

What is really needed, again imo, is not so much to get rid of the SATs as to replace them with (or improve them until they become) much better objective, standardized tests. ETS is such a monopoly, unfortunately, that this is not easy to do. But even if one had a really superb standardized test, I think it should still only be one of many factors considered in the admission process.

People are too complicated and the goals of the admission process too diverse (it is not just to maximize the probability of successful completion of a degree) to rely on any single measure or system.

-Ww

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Does anyone besides me find it ironic that Wwanderer has made about half the posts in a thread entitled "What was Wwanderer's SAT score?"

Wwanderer

Originally posted by pjorourke
Does anyone besides me find it ironic that Wwanderer has made about half the posts in a thread entitled "What was Wwanderer's SAT score?"
No.

-Ww

PS - 16 is about what fraction of 84?
A - about half
B - about 1%
C - nearly all
D - there is a remainder, damn it!
E - some of the above

Last edited:

Wwanderer

I knew you would count them!
No (human) counting needed; have you ever tried clicking on the link listed as a number in the Replies column (just to the right of the column that gives the name of the participant who started the thread) in the list of threads for a given UG forum? As a former accountant and geneal numbers guy, you'll love it!

-Ww

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Hey, thats neat. I didn't know that was there.

BTW, watch it with calling me a former accountant. I never had that little personality (God, I'm gonna hear it know!).

You are right, I am a numbers guy -- but more big picture though. I arely count or add columns of numbers. And I round a lot. An early boss once taught me that anything past 3 significant digits was bullshit anyways.

Wwanderer

BTW, watch it with calling me a former accountant. I never had that little personality
There are a lot of things I might say or imply about you, but not having much personality is not among them.

-Ww

Last edited:
Originally posted by Wwanderer
No (human) counting needed; have you ever tried clicking on the link listed as a number in the Replies column (just to the right of the column that gives the name of the participant who started the thread) in the list of threads for a given UG forum? As a former accountant and geneal numbers guy, you'll love it!

-Ww
Wow - you really must be smart. How did you figure out to do that?

What was this thread doing up it doesn't look like anyone but me has posted on it recently? (I don't want you to think I was researching your SAT scores.)

Last edited:
The whole college admissions process is a scam, though. Years ago NYU Law School made the stupid mistake of allowing a reporter to witness their entire admissions process. The article (I think it was in New York Magazine) told of two students, one with a 4.0 college average and top LSAT scores, the other with a 3.9 average and slightly lower scores. The 4.0 kid was a shoe in until one of the admissions officers noticed that the 3.9 kid played the violin. His musical acumen placed him above the scholar.

I didn't know playing the violin was such an important skill for an attorney.

You know the old saying

If you have the facts but not the law, argue the facts
If you have the law but not the facts, argue the law.
If you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table.
If you don't have the facts, the law or the table, play a concerto.

Say, what was Wwanderer's score?
I'm embarrassed to admit that, after giving it much thought, I can't even remember my own SAT scores. Amazingly, however, I did discover that I still remember all the words to "Big Yellow Taxi" -- a great song, to be sure, but now I can't get it out of my head, and I'm going slightly insane, LOL...

justme

homo economicus
I never could remember my PSAT scores in high school. Throughout my application process for scholorships I kept having to call a friend of mine who's got a photographic memory w/ numbers. He got pretty irritated after awhile.