What Prepaid cellphone/carrier is the best?

Only problem.

To get the phone number assigned to you by Cingular you had to fill out a card and show ID that forever connects that phone number to your real identity.

One of the reasons for getting such a phone is NOT to have the number showing up in all those providers phone logs to be connected to YOU in real life.

Than you can call all those ads that say *82 in them with out a care.
I got my cingular go phone with a fake name. They never asked for ID.

Thorn said:
Only problem.

To get the phone number assigned to you by Cingular you had to fill out a card and show ID that forever connects that phone number to your real identity.

One of the reasons for getting such a phone is NOT to have the number showing up in all those providers phone logs to be connected to YOU in real life.

Than you can call all those ads that say *82 in them with out a care.
I didn't have to fill out anything or show any id at all when I bought (with cash) my cingular go phone. I've had no issues for over a year now. (The guy at the store activated it, and I was using it 3 minutes later.)

Last edited:
To get the phone number assigned to you by Cingular you had to fill out a card and show ID that forever connects that phone number to your real identity
Lemme jump in here for a sec. Bought my phone from an independent retailer. Paid cash and was never asked for any ID, nor asked to fill out anything. He assigned a phone number, even asked me which prefix I preferred.

So the other day, I stopped into a Cingular Store (corporate) to P/U some minutes. The guy pulls up my number on the computer and asked me if I was ____ _____. I have no idea where that name came from. Maybe it belonged to the last owner of the number OR maybe the retailer assigned a fictitious name to the acct. Anyway I said no, that's not my name. He shrugged and put the minutes on the phone w/o caring about any corrections.

But let me reiterate. I never showed any ID nor supplied my name with the phone. It's completely untraceable to me.

But for me its OK because the SO will never see any statement because they don't exist--I paid in cash for the phone and the prepaid minutes card. (And I chose the "Pay As You Go" option NOT I REPEAT NOT the automatic payment through the credit card option--that is vital).....And I received the ***** confirmation regarding activation and set up an online account which she will never see.
Also, and this cannot be overlooked, I will keep the ringer off at all times---that what voic***** is for!
Not the issue, I am sorry to say.

What you want to avoid is some smart forensic fellow, hired by your wife's divorce attorney [if it comes to that], getting the LUD's of the cellphone and connecting the numbers called and received on it to a series of prostitutes. Which said lawyer will than use in the proceedings to prove what a bastard you have been and why your soon to be ex is entitled to everything you own.

Of course, we play the game with the intention that it never comes to the point where our wives, which I am sure most of us love, might divorce us. Still and all, "Plan B" is a must in this stupidity we involve ourselves in. :)

I got my cingular go phone with a fake name. They never asked for ID.
Than they must have activated it for you at the store. Otherwise you deal with what PB had to do; the online activation.

And as I said, this is getting harder and harder to do as more people get fined under new HLS laws and policies for issuing cellphones without asking for proper ID.

Last edited:
You have to also find out when the minutes expire. For example Cingular sells a $15. card that expires in 30 days. If you don't add more minutes by the expiration date, you forfeit all unused dollars. They charge 25cents a minute of air time. If you add more money before they expire, the amount is piggybacked on top of any unused dollars and your expiration date changes.

I believe a $25 card is good for 90 days. Maybe 60 not sure.
The Cingular go phone (now AT&T) $100 addition lasts for 180 days.

I'm about to buy a pre-paid cell phone per the suggestions of some of the mongers on here. Just want to check which ones work best. I've done a little research and I'm leaning towards either a T-Mobile one (thanks to Waynezee in another thread) or a Verizon Wireless one.

My two main questions are:

1) Which phone has the most features for a decent price

2) Which carrier gives you the most minutes for the lowest prices

Thanks guys I'm curious to hear your opinions.
Easy! Just get the same one Tony Soprano uses when he has to make “private calls”.

I'm about to buy a pre-paid cell phone per the suggestions of some of the mongers on here. Just want to check which ones work best. I've done a little research and I'm leaning towards either a T-Mobile one (thanks to Waynezee in another thread) or a Verizon Wireless one.

My two main questions are:

1) Which phone has the most features for a decent price

2) Which carrier gives you the most minutes for the lowest prices

Thanks guys I'm curious to hear your opinions.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. I do not have a prepaid but did purchase one for someone. Net 10. No problems of any kind with it and the calls are 10 cents per minute. I believe the other carriers are more expensive per minute. However, i just saw one at Walmart...5 cents per minute and the phone was about $40. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of it. First time i had seen this one though.