What percentage of UG members have read the rules?

What percentage of UG members have read the rules? Part 2: and understand the rules?

• Less than 5% read

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • more than 5% but less than 10% read

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • more than 10% but less than 25% read

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • more than 25% but less than 50% read

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • more than 50% but less than 75% read

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • more than 75% read

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Less than 5% understand

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • more than 5% but less than 10% understand

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • more than 10% but less than 25% understand

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • more than 25% but less than 50% understand

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • more than 50% but less than 75% understand

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • more than 75% understand

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Ban 'em all and let Allah sort it out

Originally posted by vermeer
Trust me I KNOW how it feels to have freeloading whore/johns trying to get free ads/publicty. But these shills are soon outed by market forces.
i would almost say that this guy is fat al goldstein, but ag is too busy stuffing cinnamon donuts into his gob to do any work. jordan goldstein maybe?

btw, doc on ag's life at the anthology film archives' underground film festival.

Originally posted by justme
To expound:

In the past, certain potential advertisers avoided paying advertising, but still used the board as a marketing device by culling e.mail addresses.
How do you do that JM. This software doesn't expose the actual e.mail addresses, even if you have e.mail turned on. A regular user could only e.mail "through" the board and only one at a time (very time consuming). You'd need to be an admin to see the actual addresses. So I don't think you could trowl for addresses that easily.

Last edited:
Originally posted by jseah
Also to prevent the proliferation of backchanneling (i.e., if it can't be shared in public, then it shouldn't be mentioned period).
I don't understand the logic in this. You know it goes on anyway, but besides that, why would we each be interested in some other's peoples backchannel discussions. Instead of forcing the backchannel discussions onto the board, it has just eliminated most of the BCD or driven it elsewhere, or driven it to private e.mails.

My son the lawyer

I read somwhere that fat Al sent his son to harvard law, or some other facnypants school and was very proud. Then his son sued him for something or other.

Yet more unsolicited business advice...

Slinky, if your objective is Mo Money + Mo Bitches, i suggest you let people post whatever the fuck they want.
BECAUSE this will create a more dynamic exchange of ideas and communication. In turn you will be able to monetize on this by selling more ads to the hos. Sure the hos will complain when they get bad reviews, etc. but this "freedom of speech" will attract tons of mongers, and will make ug a "must" for ho advertisers.

deadbeats and freeloaders are a cost of doing business. Think of them as loss leaders. (of course EGREGIOUS offenders will be have to be banned). Yes, people will always take advantange. But the net result$$ will be huge. And you will laugh all the way to the bank.

Let's be clear: I only believe in "free speech" when it's profitable. And believe me, the advice I give you comes from my own experiences in running a very similar business to yours.

You have a good thing going - don't let it become irrelevant and die.

Re: My son the lawyer

Originally posted by vermeer
I read somwhere that fat Al sent his son to harvard law, or some other facnypants school and was very proud. Then his son sued him for something or other.
Isn't education great! :D

hvb

whats this hang-up withy ag...you callled me him in a previous post and now you're calling vermeer ag. ag is a legend and you should not take HIS name in vain.

Well, *I* don't understand the poll (LOL)

"What percentage of UG members have read the rules? Part 2: and understand the rules ?"

How would *I* know ?

First of all, some of the board software needs to change. Trust me. I do some of this for a living.

When somebody signs up, and even when existing members "log on", have a "pop up" box come up and say something like "You MUST read the rules before posting (again)" There should be a link within this box to the rules.

They click on the link and get to the rules. At the end of the rules, just like an on-line licensing agreement there is a check box. "I have read the rules and agree to abide by them."

Now, as for the rules themselves. There are WAY too many of them and they are WAY too wordy. People don't like to read what they don't WANT to read. You have to keep them short and simple, otherwise they will go to the end and simply check the "agreement" checkbox.

You repeat a certain rule (I forget which) MANY times. You also have some rules that are written tongue-in-cheek, or at least appear to be (like "Don't pester the APM"). People see that and assume you are joking and they need not take the rules seriously.

If there are 2 or 3 VERY important rules, have those rules, written very briefly, pop up every time someone signs in whether they've agreed to having read the rules or not. It's very easy to close that little pop up box.

Just my $.02 (2 cents (LOL))

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Originally posted by littleguy

When somebody signs up have a "pop up" box come up and say something like "You MUST read the rules before posting "
You know, some day, someone on this board is actually going to look at the current state of facts before stating something, and it's going to give me a heart attack.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by Wwanderer
You could start with some large, bold and brightly colored font stating that the site has some unconventional rules and that members are banned regularly for violating them, maybe even mentioning the average number of bannings per week or month or whatever.
Kind of like when they used to cut peoples heads off and leave them on a pole at the gates of the city as a warning to future malfactors.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
You mean like counting the bannings for a certain offense, and leaving them up as "sign posts"?

Besides, who's banned? (no one pays any attention to anything around here).

PS I think the word is "pike".

NOYL

Poster Child for Birth Control (ironic, no?)
Originally posted by slinkybender
Besides, who's banned? (no one pays any attention to anything around here).

PS I think the word is "pike".
Answer: no one.

You could become Vlad the Impaler.

I see so many questions and answers all over the threads on this website, I must be retarded....for instance I read that Walt637 got banned...why? And also how are members...Bronze or Silver...etc.. The rules are too long, who has the time ..I want hookups not rules and regs. LE has laws, rules and regs...this must be a new model....for LE. How can we complicate things more? Lets infringe upon peoples civil liberties...lets just go get some badges.