Was A-Rod a great Yankee? Steroid users in HOF

I loved Reggie too.

I am going to surprise many of you ... BUT ... I DISLIKE Jeter. He never volunteered to move off of short or down in the lineup when it was obvious that he was slipping. Let's also talk about his last contract and how he was so demanding of getting paid MORE than what he was worth. He was NEVER underpaid. Why did he have a chip on his shoulder for? He held the Yankees up and he got them for a bigger contract than he deserved. He was also a little disingenuous with his attitude. He always seemed a bit aloof. He was always hiding his feelings. When he retired I just knew that would be the last time I would see Jeter at Yankee stadium. He was there for Derek Jeter day and that was it. He is gone. I don't like him. He was a very good player - I am waiting for a book to come out telling it the way it was.

Sorry The guy was a super star. Answer me this how do "the owners pay these contracts ? And make a profit. Super stars in any sport are the elite . Super stars in any profession are elite .

I loved Reggie too.

I am going to surprise many of you ... BUT ... I DISLIKE Jeter. He never volunteered to move off of short or down in the lineup when it was obvious that he was slipping. Let's also talk about his last contract and how he was so demanding of getting paid MORE than what he was worth. He was NEVER underpaid. Why did he have a chip on his shoulder for? He held the Yankees up and he got them for a bigger contract than he deserved. He was also a little disingenuous with his attitude. He always seemed a bit aloof. He was always hiding his feelings. When he retired I just knew that would be the last time I would see Jeter at Yankee stadium. He was there for Derek Jeter day and that was it. He is gone. I don't like him. He was a very good player - I am waiting for a book to come out telling it the way it was.
First ballot HOF. So I guess not everyone agrees with you.

He also gave credibility and class to a team that was trying to erase the shitty 80s and early 90s memories. Whatever he did at the end of his career doesn’t matter to me or what they paid him. He earned it.

just because he wasn’t a quote machine doesn’t mean he was a dick.
He once said, if you want a quote ask A Rod. He talks enough for everyone.

ive never heard any player say anything bad about him from any team.

he may not have been the best ss in baseball but he was just what they needed at that time along with Bernie,Andy , Paul, Tino and the great Mo.
Just my opinion..

I did not say he was not a 1st ballot HOF player.

I said I did not like him.

I meant personally.

And by 95 the Yankees were a class operation at that point. The Yankees were bad in 91 but I don't think they lacked class.

I want to make sure everybody is clear.

I think he was a HOF player who was real clutch and I was happy he was on my team.

MY POINT IS that he was no angel and in a lot of ways was a bit of a dick. And make no mistake - he has pretty much shed his Yankee identity. He retired Sept 25, 2014. In 6.5 years he has been to Yankee stadium once for Derek Jeter day. That's it. So while some of you may love him - He has moved on and he does not care about you.

Expect some obligatory BS platitudes from him in his HOF speech - but I bet you still won't see him at Yankee stadium anytime soon.

I meant personally.

And by 95 the Yankees were a class operation at that point. The Yankees were bad in 91 but I don't think they lacked class.

I think he was a HOF player who was real clutch and I was happy he was on my team.

MY POINT IS that he was no angel and in a lot of ways was a bit of a dick. And make no mistake - he has pretty much shed his Yankee identity. He retired Sept 25, 2014. In 6.5 years he has been to Yankee stadium once for Derek Jeter day. That's it. So while some of you may love him - He has moved on and he does not care about you.

Expect some obligatory BS platitudes from him in his HOF speech - but I bet you still won't see him at Yankee stadium anytime soon.
Your probably right about him not coming back to the stadium.
Especially since he owes another team.
But you never know.

I meant personally.

I know what you are saying, obviously he is a Hall of famer, but the contract you mentioned as all of them, is going forward. You knew he wouldnt earn that contract. Plus, there was a book written somewhere, don't remember, but it said, about Jeter, that he wasnt the greatest guy, and that he didnt treat the lower level employees, that well. Fair post Steve.

He's a fraud who should be forgotten. Cheated his way to hundreds of millions in dollars and debatable statistics enriched by steroids.
So what he was BIG in 2009, all the money he got, and all the 'roids he was ingesting, he should have come through at some point. How much do you have to cheat to finally be clutch? Ask A-Rod.

2 recent/current Yankees I DON"T WANT UP IN A CRUCIAL SITUATION: Arod and Stanton - Both spit the bit constantly.

I know someone will say but "Stanton had a great post season last year!" except for his Carlos Beltran like last at bat against the Rays, three pitches and he was out. He gets NO respect until he comes through.

Oh and FUCK A-ROD and his big goofy ears.
The real “Man” in 09, was Matsui Hideki. A-rod contributed, but ‘Godzilla’ was the reason we won.
and A-Roid is a cheater and a douche...

I loved Reggie too.

The manager/GM should be telling him to move on from short. You can't blame him for playing the position he was penciled into. The manager would be responsible for pushing him further down in the order. The player doesn't dictate to the team where he hits, and we have no evidence that Jeter was oppositional to moving down in the order. Even if he was, it's still on management to make that decision.

His last contract was fair. Off the top of my head, he became a free agent for the first time in his career and took his time before agreeing to a 3 year, $45M deal. I'm not crying for the Yankees for signing him to that deal. You can argue he wasn't worth that from a production standpoint by that point in his career, but again, it was a contract he negotiated in a free and open market. He didn't hold the Yankees hostage or refuse to show up to training camp. Realistically, Jeter lived up to the contract in merchandise sales for the Yankees alone. He was the most popular Yankee in decades winding down his career and the Yankees cashed in on all things #2 related. That was his real value to the team at that point, and I'm sure the Yankees were satisfied with how much money they made off him.

Jeter was smart to treat the media at arms length. To have a 20 year career in NY with no controversy is a testament to his intelligence, his character and his savvy. The NY media will do anything to turn a quote around and turn something against you for a headline. Boo hoo the media didn't get the real Jeter; he saved his energy and focus for more important endeavors.

As for not coming back to the Stadium more, why? He retired and wanted to move on in a new role, which is what he did with the Marlins gig. Has Mariano come back a lot more than Jeter? He's not with the team and doing something else with his life. I'm sure he'll be back for the 30 year anniversary of the 96 championship team in 5 years.

The manager/GM should be telling him to move on from short. You can't blame him for playing the position he was penciled into. The manager would be responsible for pushing him further down in the order. The player doesn't dictate to the team where he hits, and we have no evidence that Jeter was oppositional to moving down in the order. Even if he was, it's still on management to make that decision.

His last contract was fair. Off the top of my head, he became a free agent for the first time in his career and took his time before agreeing to a 3 year, $45M deal. I'm not crying for the Yankees for signing him to that deal. You can argue he wasn't worth that from a production standpoint by that point in his career, but again, it was a contract he negotiated in a free and open market. He didn't hold the Yankees hostage or refuse to show up to training camp. Realistically, Jeter lived up to the contract in merchandise sales for the Yankees alone. He was the most popular Yankee in decades winding down his career and the Yankees cashed in on all things #2 related. That was his real value to the team at that point, and I'm sure the Yankees were satisfied with how much money they made off him.

Jeter was smart to treat the media at arms length. To have a 20 year career in NY with no controversy is a testament to his intelligence, his character and his savvy. The NY media will do anything to turn a quote around and turn something against you for a headline. Boo hoo the media didn't get the real Jeter; he saved his energy and focus for more important endeavors.

As for not coming back to the Stadium more, why? He retired and wanted to move on in a new role, which is what he did with the Marlins gig. Has Mariano come back a lot more than Jeter? He's not with the team and doing something else with his life. I'm sure he'll be back for the 30 year anniversary of the 96 championship team in 5 years.

I remember these days well .. AND ... I remember the quotes and EXACTLY what happened. Jeter was slipping and reporters often asked hoom about moving down in the lineup and moving off of shortstop. This went on for the last few years of his career. Jeter's response was always that the manager (Girardi) never asked. Girardi did in fact NEVER asked Jeter to move down in the lineup or move off short. That is one of Girardi's problems and why I was not so sad to see him go. HE SHOULD HAVE. HE DID NOT. THAT BEING SAID ..... It was obvious to everyone on the planet that Jeter was not the same player ... and now reporters were asking him fairly often about VOLUNTEERING to move off short and down in the order. JETER SAID THAT WASN"T UP TO HIM.

OK ... This is you and I will probably differ on opinion. I say if you are a team player and you know you could help the team by moving off of short and down in the order ... then you shoudl do it. Now the press is bringing it up all the time .... Jeter chose to say it wasn't his call and that he was staying right where he was. OK ...to me ... that speaks volumes.

His last contract of three years covering 2011, 12 and 13 was for $51 mill. That was a huge contract at the time. Especially for a 36/37 year old shortstop paying him through age 40. He was absolutely holding up the Yankees. He was just coming off a huge 10 year contract that paid him $189 million. That was still huge money when it expired in 2010. What was Cashman going to do? the fans would have killed him if he let Jeter get away. However ... NOBODY was going to give him anywhere near that money. I think Cashman and the Yankees did very well by Jeter. You are right ... nobody was holding a gun to the Yankees head. But let's make one thing perfectly clear .... Jeter was NEVER underpaid and was probably overpaid as a Yankee. Let's not paint him an angel.

THIS ..... THIS ... is the whole point. People LOVE To blow Derek Jeter. I am just saying that he was treated great by the Yankees and he was a bit of a dick at times through his time here in NY and people tend to give him a free pass. This guy is no Mickey Mantle or Joe Dimaggio, Scooter, Yogi .. or for that matter ... David Cone, Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams or Mo Rivera. He is gone. He has shed his Yankee persona and will only USE it when it meets his agenda and lines his pockets. You won't see him passing out turkeys at Yankee stadium this Thanksgiving. Nor am I saying that he should ... but let's not make him out to be a perfect Yankee legend.

I am not Bashing him .. I am merely accurately assessing his character and how he should be viewed. I despise when people place him in the same category as other Yankee greats. He is in teh HOF, He has his plaque in monument park and his number is retired. That's enough.

I remember these days well .. AND ... I remember the quotes and EXACTLY what happened. Jeter was slipping and reporters often asked hoom about moving down in the lineup and moving off of shortstop. This went on for the last few years of his career. Jeter's response was always that the manager (Girardi) never asked. Girardi did in fact NEVER asked Jeter to move down in the lineup or move off short. That is one of Girardi's problems and why I was not so sad to see him go. HE SHOULD HAVE. HE DID NOT. THAT BEING SAID ..... It was obvious to everyone on the planet that Jeter was not the same player ... and now reporters were asking him fairly often about VOLUNTEERING to move off short and down in the order. JETER SAID THAT WASN"T UP TO HIM.

OK ... This is you and I will probably differ on opinion. I say if you are a team player and you know you could help the team by moving off of short and down in the order ... then you shoudl do it. Now the press is bringing it up all the time .... Jeter chose to say it wasn't his call and that he was staying right where he was. OK ...to me ... that speaks volumes.

His last contract of three years covering 2011, 12 and 13 was for $51 mill. That was a huge contract at the time. Especially for a 36/37 year old shortstop paying him through age 40. He was absolutely holding up the Yankees. He was just coming off a huge 10 year contract that paid him $189 million. That was still huge money when it expired in 2010. What was Cashman going to do? the fans would have killed him if he let Jeter get away. However ... NOBODY was going to give him anywhere near that money. I think Cashman and the Yankees did very well by Jeter. You are right ... nobody was holding a gun to the Yankees head. But let's make one thing perfectly clear .... Jeter was NEVER underpaid and was probably overpaid as a Yankee. Let's not paint him an angel.

THIS ..... THIS ... is the whole point. People LOVE To blow Derek Jeter. I am just saying that he was treated great by the Yankees and he was a bit of a dick at times through his time here in NY and people tend to give him a free pass. This guy is no Mickey Mantle or Joe Dimaggio, Scooter, Yogi .. or for that matter ... David Cone, Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams or Mo Rivera. He is gone. He has shed his Yankee persona and will only USE it when it meets his agenda and lines his pockets. You won't see him passing out turkeys at Yankee stadium this Thanksgiving. Nor am I saying that he should ... but let's not make him out to be a perfect Yankee legend.

I am not Bashing him .. I am merely accurately assessing his character and how he should be viewed. I despise when people place him in the same category as other Yankee greats. He is in teh HOF, He has his plaque in monument park and his number is retired. That's enough.
I love your passion.
Even though I may not always agree with you.

@ LISteve

I get what your saying with his aloofness and distancing himself from the franchise post retirement. But he gave them more then 25 years (including minors) of his life. He was a good company man, towing the line, kept his nose out of the BS and was all business. Now he has moved onto the next chapter in his life. Some guys hang on and around for too long, not the case with Jeter.

I was not the biggest Jeter fan (my top 3 for that era are Bernie, Petitte, and Mo), but for 15 years he was at the top of that lineup and at the top of his game. Played almost every game, played hurt, and led by example, not with cute quotes in the media. He played with a bunch of swag, and caught heat for it from lots of opposing teams and fans, but at the end of the day he was a role model and a model Yankee for that time period.

Some say he was overrated, I say maybe in a sense that he didn't have the power numbers, but 3,465 hits isn't overrated, its #6 ALL TIME!

Girardi should have grown some balls if he wanted to move him down in the order, its not on the player to volunteer and say move me down, thats the manager's call.

Players move on, Yankee fans were lucky to have him.

@ LISteve

I get what your saying with his aloofness and distancing himself from the franchise post retirement. But he gave them more then 25 years (including minors) of his life. He was a good company man, towing the line, kept his nose out of the BS and was all business. Now he has moved onto the next chapter in his life. Some guys hang on and around for too long, not the case with Jeter.

I was not the biggest Jeter fan (my top 3 for that era are Bernie, Petitte, and Mo), but for 15 years he was at the top of that lineup and at the top of his game. Played almost every game, played hurt, and led by example, not with cute quotes in the media. He played with a bunch of swag, and caught heat for it from lots of opposing teams and fans, but at the end of the day he was a role model and a model Yankee for that time period.

Some say he was overrated, I say maybe in a sense that he didn't have the power numbers, but 3,465 hits isn't overrated, its #6 ALL TIME!

Girardi should have grown some balls if he wanted to move him down in the order, its not on the player to volunteer and say move me down, thats the manager's call.

Players move on, Yankee fans were lucky to have him.
I don't disagree with anything here. This is absolutely one of the reasons I was not in love with Girardi. I was AMAZED that he was afraid to ask Jeter to make a WEENSIE ITSY BITSY sacrifice. Girardi blew it here. For crying out loud - Mantle moved to 1B. Yogi played the outfield. Jeter can't move? Was it really that big a deal to ask him??? Listen - I didn't think Girardi was a BAD manager but he blew how he handled Jeter. He also blew how he handled Posada and Bernie too.

I don't disagree with anything here. This is absolutely one of the reasons I was not in love with Girardi. I was AMAZED that he was afraid to ask Jeter to make a WEENSIE ITSY BITSY sacrifice. Girardi blew it here. For crying out loud - Mantle moved to 1B. Yogi played the outfield. Jeter can't move? Was it really that big a deal to ask him??? Listen - I didn't think Girardi was a BAD manager but he blew how he handled Jeter. He also blew how he handled Posada and Bernie too.
Didnt Mantle have to move to first because of his knees?

Girardi wasn't a bad manager.
He won alot of games including a world series.
His problem was his loyalty to the core 4.
You guys were loving him when he ripped that extra base hit off Maddox in the ws.:)