VPN testing

I thought this was common knowledge but it seems to not be. Not all VPN services are the same I won't go into the logging of info because that's hard to confirm.
If you are using a VPN client on your phone, a lot of them do not work in the data network. They don't seem to advertise it as wifi only. If you really want to cover your tracks be sure to check if it works.
The easiest way to check is turn on the VPN then go to a site that checks your IP address. Turn off the VPN and check your IP address again. If it's the same you're NOT protected.
I don't want to break any rules so I won't point to any specific products.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I thought this was common knowledge but it seems to not be. Not all VPN services are the same I won't go into the logging of info because that's hard to confirm.
If you are using a VPN client on your phone, a lot of them do not work in the data network. They don't seem to advertise it as wifi only. If you really want to cover your tracks be sure to check if it works.
The easiest way to check is turn on the VPN then go to a site that checks your IP address. Turn off the VPN and check your IP address again. If it's the same you're NOT protected.
I don't want to break any rules so I won't point to any specific products.
You wouldn't be breaking any rules so name the products.

I use frootvpn. Been using them since 2015. Foreign based (Sweden I think), no logs, servers all over the world, supports torrents, and very affordable. I pay $36/year for unlimited service across up to 5 connections. Works on your phone too. I would post a referral link but i think that's against the rules.

I use 1,1,1,1 occassionally but this is a good start for info: Torrentfreak article on no logging 2020. (Don't remember the rule re: posting article links).

That's what I have. Servers across the country and the world.Someone told me to get it so that I could watch blacked out MLB games which was false. So I'm still married to Optimum for YES. I believe the cost is around $60 annually.
Do you use NordVPN in your cell phone on data? I haven't tested it in a few years but it wasn't working on Verizon's IPv6 network. They might have upgraded it since then.

I've had a few, including ExpressVPN, and Private Internet Access, and have settled on SurfShark. It's critical that the VPN encrypts traffic both ways, and it's also critical that the VPN is based in a country outside the 5. 9, and 14 eyes alliance (primer here). SurfShark is based in Panama, outside the alliance, offers unlimited client use, and is by far the best deal at $48 when you sign on for two years. <https://surfshark.com/>

Yea, i wouldn't trust those vpn's explicitly. For a variety of reasons that a good google search will tell you. Not that hard to roll your own vpn. There are guides out there.

For small time OBFUSCATION, these aren't bad though. The free ones can do a good job. You can set firewall rules to block traffic outside of the tunnel, if the "app" were to fail. In effect, setting your own killswitch. Why pay, when you can do it for free.

I'm an IT professional, so this is kind of what i do. Happy hunting.

So I’m not an IP professional and basically clueless about this stuff. Why would one need a VPN? Who are we trying to hide from? What can we do using a VPN that we can’t do without one? Obviously I’ll need to research but interested to hear it from a mongers POV.

So I’m not an IP professional and basically clueless about this stuff. Why would one need a VPN? Who are we trying to hide from? What can we do using a VPN that we can’t do without one? Obviously I’ll need to research but interested to hear it from a mongers POV.
You don't have to be an IP professional to understand it or why you may need one (Note: Genius is not an IP professional)
A VPN (Virtual Private network) creates an encrypted channel between you and a remote server operated by the particular VPN service you are using. All your internet traffic is routed through this channel in encrypted form. When your data exits the VPN server amount other stuff your true IP address is hidden, thus your identity and location.

All of this is important if you do not want anyone looking at what you are doing on the internet. Of course a VPN won't keep you private if some figures out who you are from, for example, what you post on some site.

A VPN is particularly important if you are on a "free" network, say in a busy Star Bucks or perhaps at an airport.

So if I am not using a VPN, and I log into my bank account securely ( using my Internet Carrier WI-Fi),away from home, can this be hacked?

Can a VPN be set up only on an I phone?

So if I am not using a VPN, and I log into my bank account securely ( using my Internet Carrier WI-Fi),away from home, can this be hacked?

Can a VPN be set up only on an I phone?
From what I understand about VPN is it can not be hacked at the place where you are logging in e.g., Starbucks.
That said I have two factor authentication on all my accounts that matter e.g. brokerage, banks, credit cards. I suggest you get it and use it (and if the vendor, e.g. brokerage, banks, credit cards doesn't offer it (I would think they all do) I suggest you find one that does.
The way it works is you enter your ID and password (or ID and thumbprint) and they send you a time sensitive code to your phone that you enter.
It adds a few seconds to my logging — no big inconvenience.

I always do financial stuff from a computer and at my home with the 2nd factor to my phone. Since I don't have a VPN right now that's the only place I do financial stuff.

BTW, most hacking is done from people who simply hand over their info to the hacker by logging onto a fake site or clinking on a phishing link.

Ps. I welcome any IT guys here to add constructive criticism to my post.

Finally going to set up a VPN. Are there any new recommendations or changes to what’s been recommended before? It’s been over a year so I figured I’d check before going with one of the services listed above. Thanks!