UG search function

I may just be too much of a Luddite but is there a way to search for new posts other than clicking on "New Posts" above? I tried the advance search but doesn't seem to work. Every once in a while the new posts link at the top of the page doesn't bring up any new posts even when I haven't logged in in a while. Not sure why this happens....

Every once in a while the 'new posts' link doesn't return any results, but for the most part it works fine. I'm not sure what causes that glitch, but considering how infrequently it happens (for me anyway), I don't sweat it.

AFAIK, there is no other way to search for new posts without entering a keyword or user name in the 'advanced search'.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
There is something else I noticed, there seems to be a reset timer of some kind. I know I'll log on and scroll through the whole site and see that there are new posts in different forums. I may get up from the computer or finish reading a post and come back out to the main page to find that all the new posts are no longer highlighted. I notice this seems to happen every 6 hours. I am wondering if this is a function in the software...

I may get up from the computer or finish reading a post and come back out to the main page to find that all the new posts are no longer highlighted. I notice this seems to happen every 6 hours. I am wondering if this is a function in the software...
Are you sure none else is using the computer when you are away from it?

billyS

Reign of Terror
That's why if I know I'm going to be away from the computer for any length of time I log out of UG otherwise if you get timed out and there were new posts in between the last time you hit 'New Posts' and the time you get logged out you won't see them as 'New Posts' the next time you log in.

That's why if I know I'm going to be away from the computer for any length of time I log out of UG otherwise if you get timed out and there were new posts in between the last time you hit 'New Posts' and the time you get logged out you won't see them as 'New Posts' the next time you log in.
Good info as I did not know that.

Do you get timed out a lot?

The only reason I asked was that one time, I was asked by the program that the search did not work and if I wanted to specify and different time period for the search for new posts. I only got that message that one time and was never able to recreate it. Computer gremlins I guess....

there is no wild card functionality in the advanced search function, right?

Last edited:

billyS

Reign of Terror
Do you get timed out a lot?
Once in a while. Sometimes I'll get called away and assume it will only be a minute then when I come back I see I timed out or sometimes if I'm making a long post and looking up a quote or finding an old thread I'll hit submit only to find out I've been logged off. Thats why I almost always do reviews in Word first.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
I don't get timed out. What I do see is it seems that the new posts are no longer hilighted after 12Am than 6 am than 12pm and than 6pm. I am stilled logged in and may have been reading or writing a post to find that posts I have not read are no longer hilighted.

Once in a while. Sometimes I'll get called away and assume it will only be a minute then when I come back I see I timed out or sometimes if I'm making a long post and looking up a quote or finding an old thread I'll hit submit only to find out I've been logged off. Thats why I almost always do reviews in Word first.
That used to happen to me a lot, but not so much anymore.

What's the idea behind the "Also search in child forums" check box at the bottom of the different sections to search in? Doesn't make sense to me on this type of board.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
It is a tree type of search. Child is the name given to a thread under a forum where the forum is known as the parent and the thread is known as the child. It is just how the software is writen it doesn't have any idea what topics the forum or threads are. It is meerly word use.