Traffic in Flushing

Traffic for the past few days has been horrendous— Was in Bayside, Flushing and neighboring area today - school buses, double parked vehicles, avalanche of schoolchildren meandering around caused a 15 minute ride into one hour.. I consider myself short on patience and a somewhat aggressive driver.
Living and driving mostly in Nassau and Suffolk had me forget about school zone speeds, speed cameras, speed zones etc..
I fear having racked up quite a number of tickets today.. Shitty Day
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Before I drive into flushing during the workweek (other's workweek — I'm retired) I check the traffic on Optimum channel 61 (traffic and weather). The channel could have saved me a lot of listening time by just saying "forgetaboutit" instead of showing all the hotspots as every highway west of N/S line was in red (major delays). I've only seen it this bad on day before Thanksgiving.

I think it's going to be very bad for a while as schools have reopened and LIRR is at 50% precovid capacity — my take is that all those people who used to be taking LIRR are now driving instead.

So for the immediate future I'm going to either keep my mongering local or on Sunday or middle of the night.

Traffic for the past few days has been horrendous— Was in Bayside, Flushing and neighboring area today - school buses, double parked vehicles, avalanche of schoolchildren meandering around caused a 15 minute ride into one hour.. I consider myself short on patience and a somewhat aggressive driver.
Living and driving mostly in Nassau and Suffolk had me forget about school zone speeds, speed cameras, speed zones etc..
I fear having racked up quite a number of tickets today.. Shitty Day
Watch those speed cameras. That’s enough for a fuck in flushing. Tip:they aren’t working on the weekends. Red lights working always. Be careful when they change as many people seem to be running them

Watch those speed cameras....... Tip:they aren’t working on the weekends. ......
Are you just talking about speed cameras in school zone as far as only weekends?

I don't know why the ones not in school zones would be off on weeks — there is one on College Point (I think its a speed camera about 1/2 mile N of LIE on N going lane. also I saw another on Horace Harding Xway (East bound). The cameras are hard to spot until you are past them.

Are you just talking about speed cameras in school zone as far as only weekends?

I don't know why the ones not in school zones would be off on weeks — there is one on College Point (I think its a speed camera about 1/2 mile N of LIE on N going lane. also I saw another on Horace Harding Xway (East bound). The cameras are hard to spot until you are past them.
With respect to THAT speed camera.
It is definitely functional- Nabbed a month or two back.. headed to Spa

Fortunately I was able to explain myself when bill came in the mail — was quite a bit away from where I should have been ( working), but explained a “house call” to a customer was in order

All speed cameras not on on weekends during weekdays not on until 6am

They want to pass a law to have them on 24/7. More traffic fatalities since deblasio visionzero initiAtive

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
They want to pass a law to have them on 24/7. More traffic fatalities since deblasio visionzero initiAtive
Transportation Alternatives mandate has been to cause congestion on purpose (they use euphemistic "traffic calming measures). So now NYC is the most congested city in the United States. Pedestrian and cyclist casualties and deaths both up. Pollution up. Newest talking point is "less than 50% of NYers own cars" so we should stop having cars on streets and give them to bicycles - ignoring that less than 5% of NYers commute by bicycle. These bike lanes are an incredible waste of Real Estate - sit somewhere and take a look at how much bike traffic any of them get as opposed to car traffic on the same street. Plus cyclists use 1,001 excuses why they refuse to use them where they exist, so they aren't really to promote cycling but rather another weapon in the I'll advised war on cars. Check out how quickly Brooklyn residents are feeling the effects of closing a lane on the BQE. Can't wait until NYDOT makes the Avenues in Sunset Park one way and takes away parking.

Transportation Alternatives mandate has been to cause congestion on purpose (they use euphemistic "traffic calming measures). So now NYC is the most congested city in the United States. Pedestrian and cyclist casualties and deaths both up. Pollution up. Newest talking point is "less than 50% of NYers own cars" so we should stop having cars on streets and give them to bicycles - ignoring that less than 5% of NYers commute by bicycle. These bike lanes are an incredible waste of Real Estate - sit somewhere and take a look at how much bike traffic any of them get as opposed to car traffic on the same street. Plus cyclists use 1,001 excuses why they refuse to use them where they exist, so they aren't really to promote cycling but rather another weapon in the I'll advised war on cars. Check out how quickly Brooklyn residents are feeling the effects of closing a lane on the BQE. Can't wait until NYDOT makes the Avenues in Sunset Park one way and takes away parking.
The BQE has one lane closed for cycling/pedestrians? !!! Wow

Watch out for the parked white Ford Escapes. Scouting locations for MORE speed cameras. They are everywhere and move frequently. Usually on corners or open spots. Look like any other suv with a roof rack. Happy year of the Rabbit!
Not a problem if you just set your cruise control to the speed limit. IMHO once you are off the X-ways on the local Flushing streets, speeding just gets you quicker to the next red light.

Do you really want to have to explain to your SO how a camera speeding ticket from Flushing ended up in your mail box?

For example 495 to Roosey along CP is 1.8 miles. At the speed limit of 25 (even with zero red lights) at best it takes 4.3 minutes. At 50 mph at best it is 2.15 minutes. Throw in a couple of red lights and it almost become even.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Do you really want to have to explain to your SO how a camera speeding ticket from Flushing ended up in your mail box?
Nope, luckily when I got the two on the Grand Central parkway service road by Parsons Blvd I was working from home and got the mail.

You can pay them online by credit card or directly from a checking account.

Not a problem if you just set your cruise control to the speed limit. IMHO once you are off the X-ways on the local Flushing streets, speeding just gets you quicker to the next red light.

We all have lapses where we go above the limit regardless of how diligent you are with your cruise control in a metropolitan area. This was a friendly reminder to all those with less than perfect attention spans.

We all have lapses where we go above the limit regardless of how diligent you are with your cruise control in a metropolitan area. This was a friendly reminder to all those with less than perfect attention spans.
Understood.
Note that I've been driving couple times a week in Flushing for past 8 years or so and never got a ticket.
Waze helps with fixed cameras but as you pointed out they have mobile cameras that Waze won't help you .