Tipping Uber/Lyft drivers

It’s the people that don’t tip Uber Eats drivers that bothers me I would be concerned if I had poor reviews because I tipped poorly those people handle your food. I tip all people in service jobs because I know that’s how they make most of their money in general.

Always in the habit of tipping Uber-/Lyft etc— The rare exception will be when I enter the car, the driver is yapping on the phone and does not even bother to say hello — I’ve encountered a couple of situations like this and have not tipped and left a less than 5 star review -

I’ll also tip a little more generously if the driver will help me with luggage if traveling to airport- most of the time their effort without physically helping is worth more of a tip

Fwiw
An article is yesterday WSJ talks about tipping and the “ new expectations “ that are growing more common—

I took a lyft the other day and it reeked like weed, driving almost the whole time on the phone yea with his ear buds in but still yapping and annoying. I gave the dude 0$ in tip and I usually always tip decent.
There is no excuse for marijuana or strong tobacco smell in car -Personally, I find it revolting

I took a lyft the other day and it reeked like weed, driving almost the whole time on the phone yea with his ear buds in but still yapping and annoying. I gave the dude 0$ in tip and I usually always tip decent.
Why did you even get in the car.
Report the reason why you would not and book another car.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
There was recently a news segment on TV where they spoke about apps which let the delivery workers see the tip and choose what orders to deliver. I'll start with my opinion that overall I think there are way too many deliveries and it's bad thing. Our roads/streets are being congested with excess traffic, and many of the workers are unsafe. Not just running red lights and endangering pedestrians, but the vastly increased risks for battery fires. It astonishes me that all these ultra health conscious individuals can't walk a little bit to pick stuff up.

But this last addition rubs me the wrong way. It's like holding your dinner hostage. Of course you should tip, but now the apps are telling you that if you don't overtip (as opposed to them paying their workers a decent wage) you may never get your order even though they have taken it and charged you for it. This also divorces the tip from actual service because you must make the decision on how much to tip before service is rendered.

Personally if they got rid of all the deliveries I would be perfectly happy.

I've treated uber/lyft somewhere between yellow cab and the black car service. Black car when going to/from airports and like cabs in town. I've tipped according to service and attitude/professionalism. If the driver helps with my luggage, smooth driving, clean car, and water upto 20%. If standard drive around drive around a dollar or two of not too much - which ends up around 10-15%

I've treated uber/lyft somewhere between yellow cab and the black car service. Black car when going to/from airports and like cabs in town. I've tipped according to service and attitude/professionalism. If the driver helps with my luggage, smooth driving, clean car, and water upto 20%. If standard drive around drive around a dollar or two of not too much - which ends up around 10-15%
I hear the new pay increase starts this month for Uber deliveries has anyone noticed the rate increase yet in their food deliveries lately?

I used to work at a restaurant when i was a wee lad so I always appreciated tips but I also always had high level of work ethic and gave top notch service, which typically garnered more tips. So that shaped my view on tipping, I tip generously for great service and also (begrudgingly) tip less for shitty service but dont think i ever not tipped for certain things. I rarely tip for take out tho but sometimes will if the girl is cute/hot and friendly/helpful.
For ubers, typical 10-20%