The Flu

From The Sally in BP thread:

Who gets the flu in September?
You can get flu any time of the year. 2X I had it was in August and in December (different years).
Since I've been supplementing with Vitamin D which is over 10 years I haven't been sick once, not even a sniffle. Before that I used to get a cold every winter. I take 2000 iu's May through September, 5000 iu's the rest of the year except for January and February when I take 7000 iu's. It really bolsters the immune system and I highly recommend it.

From The Sally in BP thread:

Since I've been supplementing with Vitamin D which is over 10 years I haven't been sick once, not even a sniffle. Before that I used to get a cold every winter. I take 2000 iu's May through September, 5000 iu's the rest of the year except for January and February when I take 7000 iu's. It really bolsters the immune system and I highly recommend it.
Last time I got the flu was Aug 1975. It was really bad, lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks (I was 160lbs, 5'9 and solid muscle back then - took me 6 months to get back to normal. People underestimate the seriousness of flu. for example the death rate for 1975 ( not a typically high # year) was 43/100,00 - for perspective breast cancer death rates are around 100/100,000.

From that point on I got the flu shot annually, wash my hands a lot during flu season, and I haven't had the flu since. I also do not remember the last time I got a cold - (maybe 8 years ago?). I do not take vitamins.

What conclusions can be drawn from your method vs mine - pretty much none as sample size is too small. However your method has no significant down side. Where did you get your dosage #'s from?

I'm a Life Extension member and I get most of my supplements from them and they recommend 5000 iu's in months when you have most of your clothing on. Your skin makes vitamin d when exposed to sunlight so in the summer u really don't need to supplement with it. January and February being the worst months I take more.

The 1918 flu pandemic infected 500 million worldwide killing 50 to 100 million of them, 3 to 5 % of the world population. The flu is no laughing matter especially for the elderly.

I'm a Life Extension member and I get most of my supplements from them and they recommend 5000 iu's in months when you have most of your clothing on. Your skin makes vitamin d when exposed to sunlight so in the summer u really don't need to supplement with it. January and February being the worst months I take more.
Not too long ago I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer; during the testing I was found to be seriously Vitamin D deficient. Upon the completion of the chemotherapy and radiation treatments, I was prescribed 50,000mg of Vitamin D to be taken once weekly (Yes, it was a big pill). As my levels increased, I was than recommended to take the over the counter supplement D3 Extreme (which was 2000mg daily).

During that time I never got sick, no bronchitis (which I would get from time to time), no runny nose or scratchy throat (even when everyone else in the house was sick), even the debilitating migraines I would get were drastically reduced. I ignorantly rationed that the chemo and radiation treatments must have boosted my immunities, or the chemo was still lingering in my system destroying any germ that dared entered my body. Never once making the Vitamin D connections until NOW!!!!!

Today, I no longer take any Vitamin D supplements and I am still considered Vitamin D deficient, because taking such large amounts of it leads to some very unpleasant side effects; mainly Kidney Stones.

For those of you who have never experienced them, you cannot imagine the pain. Passing them manually can be a long and excruciating ordeal but having the lithotripsy (breaking them up through sound waves) procedure done is 100x worse. It’s like someone kicking you in the balls for two hours straight. I have stopped taken the Vitamin D almost 3 years ago and have not gotten a kidney stone since, so draw your own conclusions.

Be very careful with any supplement you might take, and be even more careful with any drugs your doctor may prescribe. Many of today’s Doctors are nothing more than “Billers” who prescribe drugs for “borderline” ailments just to increase your visits or from kickbacks that drug companies might offer. I know we’re a long way from the dark ages, but listen to the possible side effects to many of these drugs advertised on TV, and ask yourself if your ailment is worse than possibly getting these side effects.

As for the flu, the flu kills 400,000+ people worldwide each year, why be one of them? The flu can be especially dangerous when added with another know (or unknown) ailment, like asthma. I have had the flu twice in my life, and like Genius said, it is not pleasant. When people ask me about chemo, I tell them except for the initial treatment (which I thought was going to kill me), my bouts with the flu were much worse.

Vitamin D puts calcium into your bloodstream that's why they add it to milk to prevent rickets in children. Your kidney stones are from to much calcium. Vitamin K helps the body takes calcium out of your bloodstream and deposits it into your bones. You might also be vitamin K deficient.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
I find it interesting that my Sally comment about the flu that drew criticism from some has now morphed into its own thread. My doctor had told me start taking vitamin d also for deficiency, although as I remember it was maybe 2000 iu per day. Like anything else I got out of the habit but now reading this thread and thinking about how sick I was last Winter I'd better re think the D. Thanks guys for the advice.