The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)

https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/dmca_2009/RM-2008-8.pdf

Among the game changing issues this common sense rule now makes 100% legal... is jail-breaking (unlocking) your smartphone. You can now follow a few relatively simple steps to unlock those iPhones and Droids to use different carriers and load your own OS. If you like the HTC HD2 from Tmobile but you want to run Android instead of shitty Windows and use Verizon as your carrier.... now you can. Want to run Android on your iPhone4... now you can.

Understand you'll get no supports from any of the hardware/software makers or the carriers. You also risk the chance of bricking your phone (making it worthless) and will probably void any warranties. There's also the chance of your carrier voiding contracts and making YOU pay for the contract violation. Probably whatever the fees are for leaving a contract early.

This is for those who purchased their phone for a premium with no contract. Then the only risk you take is bricking your phone. Btw... the only way you should ever by a smart phone is sans contract. It's not like you'll want an old model for free or cheap like a regular phone w/contract. You're gonna want the latest so you can run the latest apps and software efficiently. So it's worth the extra 100 or 200 bucks buying it outright, plus with some carriers you pay a lower monthly without a contract so you make the money back after a year and you're not tied to a second year. I know T-Mobile does it.

Considering the common sense that what you purchase you own and should be free to do with what you want..... I think it's fucking ludicrous it even had to come to this.

Now how about making practices illegal like Verizons which locks a device you buy and if you attempt to tamper with it it bricks (becomes worthless).. ie the Droid X.

Also Verzon has now locked users out from many apps in the Android Market because they're free and conflict with what Verizon sells. ie... you can no longer download the Google Maps app with the Navigator feature because Verizon wants you to pay $10 for their crappier version called VZ Navigator. The lesson to be learned... Buy a smart phone thru Verizon and you're not getting all you're entitled to.

Considering the common sense that what you purchase you own and should be free to do with what you want..... I think it's fucking ludicrous it even had to come to this.

Now how about making practices illegal like Verizons which locks a device you buy and if you attempt to tamper with it it bricks (becomes worthless).. ie the Droid X.

Also Verzon has now locked users out from many apps in the Android Market because they're free and conflict with what Verizon sells. ie... you can no longer download the Google Maps app with the Navigator feature because Verizon wants you to pay $10 for their crappier version called VZ Navigator. The lesson to be learned... Buy a smart phone thru Verizon and you're not getting all you're entitled to.
I don't where you are getting your info, but yes the droid x is jailbreakable and no Motorola does not turn it into a brick, you can reset the phone back to it default setting by restarting it.
I have google nav running on my phone, not using VZ nat at all. What you a fanboy for apple. Just like Apple trying to say the Droid has antenna issues. Not at all

Me an Apple sycophant?

So Motorola Won't Break The Droid X, They'll Just Make It Unusable

"So Motorola spoke up on the Droid X's eFuse issue: if you install unapproved ROMs on your Droid X, your phone won't break. It'll just go into recovery mode and be unusable until you install Motorola approved software. Gee, thanks Moto.

The official word:

"Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com."
Honestly, this issue will probably go unnoticed to most Droid X users. It's just a damn shame that Motorola won't let you have the Droid X your way because their way is a pile of suck. "

justme

homo economicus
Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats.

Any time someone tries to tell me that it's a feature and not a bug, I start watching my ass.

Lets be very clear this is not a motorola issue since moto phones on other carriers are not locked in this manner. This is a case of verizon telling moto to lock their phones so they can fleece their subscribers. And being I was a long time verizon customer (10 years), I know that practice all to well. But the second I considered a smart phone, as good as their service is, I knew I had to leave verizon to avoid this issue.

Lets be very clear this is not a motorola issue since moto phones on other carriers are not locked in this manner. This is a case of verizon telling moto to lock their phones so they can fleece their subscribers. And being I was a long time verizon customer (10 years), I know that practice all to well. But the second I considered a smart phone, as good as their service is, I knew I had to leave verizon to avoid this issue.

It is Motorola's doing. All their phones are bootloader locked. It is that they started digitally signing the files after the Droid. Even the GSM version of the Droid, the Milestone, the files are digitally signed so you can't load custom ROMs. You can still get root access on the phones though, the Droid X has a one click method too.

HTC also locks their bootloaders but it isn't digitally signed. Even Google's Nexus One, the bootloader comes locked.

AT&T also blocks programs from the Market. Try looking for PDAnet or Where. AT&T even blocks you from loading apps not from the Market, aka sideloading.

By ATT you mean Apple. This was all Apples creation. And not just the iPhone, but this way of doing business. It's what killed Apple the first time, it's what's supposed to kill the iPhone... this Google community concept where everything within reason is open. They all have their little quirks. But not being able to get Where or Pdanet when there's a dozen others out there, doesn't compare to what Verizon is doing. Not all moto's are locked the way a Verizon Droid is. If you try texting a ringtone to another Verizon phone it's gets delivered but badly degraded. Not good enough that you'd want to use it. Degraded enough that is sounds like streaming audio 10 years ago. Sometimes you can slip one thru but more times than not they catch it and mash it.

And I didn't say they couldn't be rooted. I said if you attempted you risked among other things (warranty & service issues), making your phone "worthless". That article said "useless". I'll take those semantics anytime.

And yes... it is Motorolas doing cause they built it. But since all or most of these new "eFuse" phones seem to be coming only to Verizon, it's a safe bet they flexed their massive muscle and persuaded Moto to do it. It's been that way for years. Verizon has always been known for the best service, but at a premium and you get shafted with the locked features that don't regularly occur on other carriers Moto's.

And yes... it is Motorolas doing cause they built it. But since all or most of these new "eFuse" phones seem to be coming only to Verizon, it's a safe bet they flexed their massive muscle and persuaded Moto to do it. It's been that way for years. Verizon has always been known for the best service, but at a premium and you get shafted with the locked features that don't regularly occur on other carriers Moto's.
I think the Droid X is the first one with "eFuse" so we will see but I am pretty sure Motorola will do it to all of their others.

Yes, Motorola does has a tendency make a great phone and then fuck up the rest of the line.

But it's only motorola VERIZON phones. Moto's on T-Mobile, AA&T and Sprint so far haven't been loaded with an efuse. This is nothing new to Verizon... If you had a Razr with any other carrier than Verizon it wasn't locked up to the point where you couldn't load your own ring tones or wallpaper. THIS IS VERIZON.