The death of any illusions about my sanity

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judge Crater Pierces the Void in an Anti-Matter Expirement: Update

(Rolf wet the bed again, and cried last night until 3 in the morning. I'm a little tired, but am looking forward to another day at the Our Lady of Perpetual Quesiness Gang Bang Fundraiser. My wife is looking forward to it as well. With any luck, she might reach her goal today of having serviced 3,000 men. I am not as hopeful. I will probably only reach 1,000.)

(Goddess Edna and Goddess Marta don't feel the need anymore to travel in cars. They are flying to the football stadium this morning using their wings. They've replaced their lead boots with pink ballet slippers. They look nice with their Catholic Girl School uniforms.)

(The kids were quiet. My 3 year old son has started insisting on hearing my old John Coltrane albums. He has unusual tastes for someone still in diapers. My 8 year old daughter is wearing only a camisole to school. She is starting a trend, she thinks.)

(This morning over pancakes Goddess Edna beat me again like the first time after great sex. Rolf and Marta took turns with my wife.)

(We are growing happier and happier every day.)

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Venal? Malicious? Whatever are you talking about.

I was merely observing that it was possible to rank order many things in terms of "like". Now the fact that I loathe brocolli had absolutely nothing to do with my choice of references.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by occasionalhobbyist
Yes, as a matter of fact. What has this to do with the price of tea in China?
Convolutedly noting that you could like JC's new stuff better than Mrs. Chong while still not liking the new stuff in an absolute sense.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Originally posted by justme
Rather than my usual boring narrative style, let's try it this way:

Although I am currently not in it, in the last year I had the most functional, healthy relationship of my life with a woman that I first met while employing her service as a prostitute.

I will answer any question that I feel isn't inapporpriate.
OK, so it's almost 2 years later:

Have you found anything better in the last 2 years?

justme

homo economicus
Yeah, actually.

After 'Kimmie' left for the last time (well, not really... but more later), I reflected a lot on the nature of our relationship. Specifically, I was fairly surprised at how well it had gone given that we had very little in common. I had always figured that the women I dated (as opposed to simply slept with) should fit some kind of basic profile.

So all of the women I dated fit that profile. For the most part they were all well read, fairly bright, politically aligned with me, and had taste in music, movies, and art that was fairly similar to mine.

And of course all of those relationships ended in failure.

So when 'Kimmie' and I have this remarkably good relationship even though she was so very different from anyone I had ever dated, I really began to examine all my assumptions on dating.

More specifically, I threw them all out.

What I came to realize was that long term success in a relationship was dependant on factors that are far less easy to determine in the short run. More important than superficial likes or dislikes are maturity and the ability to solve problems in a complimentary way to the way I do.

What was really great about 'Kimmie' is that whenever I'd get pissed off about something or other, she knew what to say to diffuse the situation. For the most part I did the same for her. This is in direct contrast to past girlfriends who seemed to always say the absolute worse thing they could say.

In fact, my past experience led me to believe that relationships needed a fair amount of arguing to keep them healthy otherwise issues would just seethe. Those were my two types of experiences.

With 'Kimmie' it was different, though. I began to see that there was an alternative to fighting or seething. And so I htought, "OK, this is what I need to be looking for."

The thing is, that quality is fairly difficult (for me anyway) to determine at first.

The second thought that came to me in analysing this and all my other relationships is that since my set of criteria had been so exhaustive, it took quite a while to find someone that fit them. Looking back I realize that this probably kept me in some relationships a lot longer than I hsould have been. Since I had invested so much in the front end, I was reluctant to declare the loss.

Then I did some napkin calculations. I looked at the average time it took for me to find a girlfriend. Then I looked at the average duration of my relationships. I then considered my age and the oldest age I'd like to be before starting family. I realized that using my old dating strategy, I was effectively limiting the universe of women to less than a dozen.

So I started to reformulate.

I decided that the first thing to go was the exhaustive set of criteria. Narrowing down the commonalities of the people I like (both in romantic and non-romantic relationships), I determined that any women I dated had to have three traits:

1. She had to have a decent sense of humor
2. She had to have a fondness for learning new things
3. She had to be reasonably attractive to me

I decided I'd leave 3 'flexible'.

So now the number of people I would ask out was multiplied by a huge factor.

A lot turned me down.

A lot.

justme

homo economicus
But the thing was it didn't really matter to me. Once I had stopped making this huge search the investment in finding someone to ask out was pretty minimal. Moreover, I knew that they had to be turning me down on superficial grounds which is a lot easier for me to take than personality grounds.

And, I got a lot of people to say yes.

A lot.

The second half of my strategy was to stay free of commitments. I figured that if I was going to give myself the best shot at findinga truly great person, I'd have to conduct the search in parallel. No more serial relationships for me.

For the most part I was surprised at how well women took that. Some decided that without exclusivity there'd be no sex, but that didn't really bother me so much. I was just havinga lot of fun going out on a lot of dates with a lot of different women.

And there was always prostitution.

So about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend and she sensibly moved out. I had known her for quite a long time as she had dated a different friend of mine many years before. I didn't really know her well back then, but I had gotten to know her a little bit better over the last few years. To my surprise, she decided to move into the apartment complex that I lived in. Apparently she had been impressed with the location (it was very close to work for her) and value. Coincidentally, she moved into the unit directly above mine. I was a bit concerned if for no other reason than my friend was taking things poorly and I didn't want him to feel like he couldn't hang out at my place.

But then I didn't really see or talk to her for the first three or four months that she lived there. So I more or less forgot about it. Then, a little more than year ago I decided to go back to school. I was pretty excited the night I made the decision and souldn't locate any of my friends. So I went upstairsm knocked on her door, and started to discuss what I was thinking.

Over the next few months we continued to talk more frequently. She had also decided to go back to school and was in the middle of grad school applications. After a while I realized that I was pretty anxious to ask her out. On the other hand, she had dated two of my friends, lived directly above me, and was going to move away in nine months. So I went back and forth in my head for a month or two.

Finally I decided that none of the reasons that I had come up with for not asking her out were on my short list. Given my strategy, I was compelled to ask her out. So I did. She agreed with the caviat that she was going to graduate school and had no intention of dealing with a long distance relationship. I quickly agreed to that term as it was certainly one I agreed with.

I should admit that I broke my parrallel rule. I figured that since the relationship had an expiration date, it wouldn't kill me to be exclusive for a while. Looking back, I guess it worked out OK, but I still feel conflicted about breaking my own rule.

Anyway, we had a half year long relationship, she left for grad school, and we still keep in touch. It was all very nice.

Since 'Kimmie' I've probably gone out on more than five dates with at least a halk dozen people. This was the only thing that could really be consdiered a 'relationship', though.

Since then I did go back to school. Undergraduates in Austin are amazing. I've had some fun. And to my delight, 'Kimmie' visited me for a week in October.

One of the things I realized after she left was that the pacing of our relationship had always gone on her terms. She gave in enough on the things we did, but her visits from Korea were always things she'd just anounce to me. I had my choice of whether or not to deal with them and I always did.

I have now come to accept that there was a fairly sound reason for that. I needed that relationship a lot more than she did. I think I had let myself get traumatized by my dating failures and that this probably had a lot to do with my spiraling so quickly into commercial sex. Even though I still had non-commercial sexual relationships, I really didn't throw myself into anything for almost half a decade. 'Kimmie' was the first time I did.

It's funny that the first risk I take in years was such a huge one.

It's even funnier that it worked out.

So I think that when I saw things were going to work out I was put in a position where in some senses I needed the relationship. I don't really mean in the sense of dependancy, but more that I could see that there was some kind of transformation happening in me that was coincident with that relationship.

The nice thing is that 'Kimmie' really turned me onto women as more than sex partners or ways to kill some time. Yes... ironic.

More than that the lessons I learned from dating her really fleshed out a change in the way that I approach dating that has been quite a good one for me.

(The rather hilarious thing about all of that is that everything I 'figured out', my father more or less told me about fifteen years ago and then every so often after that. If only that were the only thing)

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......

So about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend and she sensibly moved out. To my surprise, she decided to move into the apartment complex that I lived in.

Hmmmm.....

I've just discovered that one of the units of my apartment complex is being used as a brothel.