The Carousel in the West Village.

I don't know if this has been addressed before or not (to the best of my knowledge it hasn't).

Last night, I was taking a cab home and the driver turned onto Clarkson Street from the West Side Highway. We passed something called "the Carousel", right on the corner. It advertised "Live Live Live Girls".

What is this place?

Thanks!

Me too. Noticed it last night on the way back from a Chinatown MP. That used to be a gay club called Westworld I believe. That whole area has changed. Used to be thousands of gay men along that waterfront on a summer night. Now there are maybe 50, and most of those are tourists. A moment of silence for those struck down by AIDS.... Just found out that a friend my age has brain cancer and am feeling very sad about people dying before their time.

[Edited by NYCBoy on 07-05-2001 at 01:02 PM]

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Carousel is a strip club. It is attached to a peep show place. There are still plenty of gay men crusing around on Christopher all the way West, but with the "greenway" established the attraction of the piers for clandestine rendezvous has somewhat diminished ( privacy is way down, "shooing" by LE way up ). The reason why the way West Village became popular for certain activities to begin with was because of how out of the way and desolate it was. Now, as the center of attention, it doesn't provide the same attraction as it use to for certain activities. Not only that, with all the hoi polloi making it their playground, not to mention the sales of $ million apartments, the neighborhood has altered it's tolerance for activities which have taken place since long before most of the current inhabitants ever set foot there.

I think it's funny when people move from the Upper East Side ( and elsewhere ) to this area, having little or no concept of the history of the area, and then complain that Rudy's crackdown on 42nd Street has "driven this element into their neighborhood". The fact is, the "bad element" from the West Village/Meat Packing district was there first, considered it their neighborhood, and is being forced out by a group who has no clue as to the "true character" of the area.

Slinky, I couldn't agree with you more. As a longtime West Village resident, I've always liked the combination of quaint, tree-lined streets and charming brownstones mixed with the seedier elements.

I knew the neighborhood was going downhill after 2 things: landlords started offering tenants huge amounts of money to buy out the rent-stabilized leases on what were essentially tenements, and 2) I noticed a lot of stockbroker types wandering around in chinos and garishly-colored polo shirts.

That said, what, exactly, is the 411 on Carousel? Any extras or anything cool like that? I know that the dancers at Privilege on 23rd Street have been known to go home with patrons on ocassion, but apparently it's an expensive proposition and almost as likely to get you thrown out as laid.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
The three places in Manhatan which have some similar "quality of experience" are Carousel Club, Privilege, and Paradise Club ( and possibly VIP ). In other words, it's really a strip club, not something else with a strip club facade over it. If you are really looking for "extras" rather tha a "strip club experience", you'll definitively do better in every respect going directly for the product you seek ( i.e. elsewhere ). If, OTOH, you've got a wallet which is uncomfortably full................

OTOH, if all you are seeking to get serviced for the lowest $ possible, the peeps there may be a good bet.....

[Edited by slinkybender on 07-05-2001 at 02:51 PM]

I've been to Carousel several times, although not since March. It was a good place for a multicultural encounter, as the dancers come from a variety of backgrounds. I've had some great friction lap dances there, (and a few where the only friction was her reaching for my wallet) but it varies by dancer. I have received an HR there, from a girl who's best friend was darkness.

Most of the dancers are 6s, a few 7s. It's nude, so no alochol. Carousel is a step up from the late, lamented Billy's Topless and fun if you're in the mood for non-Scores, non-Flashdancers seediness (it _is_ close to Two Potato). I've got no idea about the store next door.

And be prepared for a hike when you're tracking down a cab.

Bdraggled

NYCBoy: What Chinatown MP were you visiting?

NYCBoy: What Chinatown MP were you visiting?

The one next to the 6 train, that 30 guys on TBD were demanding the address of a few months ago. Not too many white guys, though there were a few Orthodox jews on Wednesday. The later you go, the easier it is to get in. They still send me home sometimes if the girl at the door doesn't know me. Place is crowded at times.