Terry Stops

billyS

Reign of Terror
Like any other job cops get performance evaluations. Cops who make more arrests are considered to be active and get promotions. It also leads to more overtime. They try to make an arrest at the end of their tour so they get 4 or 5 hours of overtime while they process the case.
4 or 5 hours?
Try the whole next shift.

But agree on the promotions. That's how they get noticed. A young go getter who has high expectations of moving up in the force will hustle for arrests so he can get out of patrol and on to bigger and better things.

Like any other job cops get performance evaluations. Cops who make more arrests are considered to be active and get promotions. It also leads to more overtime. They try to make an arrest at the end of their tour so they get 4 or 5 hours of overtime while they process the case.
In order to move up within the ranks, tests have to be taken - its not just about arrests..
I would think given budget constants ( as in any “business”), overtime is closely watched and there are “ unwritten guidelines” as to what will prompt an officer to be proactive and make an arrest
Ie. Violation, misdemeanor, felony

just imho

4 or 5 hours?
Try the whole next shift.

But agree on the promotions. That's how they get noticed. A young go getter who has high expectations of moving up in the force will hustle for arrests so he can get out of patrol and on to bigger and better things.
I always thought outside of detective all promotions were civil service tests.

I always thought outside of detective all promotions were civil service tests.
For SCPD, municipalities (towns, villages, etc)
Promotions by ranks are either civil service exams
Sgt, Lt, Cpt,

Promotions to senior and speciality positions are by appointment/Selection, etc
Commissioner's, Chief's, Deputy's, ESM, Air, COPE

To become a PO, is also a civil service exam

For Suffolk County Sheriff's it's an elected position, and the Deputy's are through civil service exam and promotion exams and appointments, by the Sheriff.

In general, a sheriff has more clout than a police officer. With that being said, they don't “outrank” them since a police officer isn't in a sheriff's chain of command. A Sheriff is generally (but not always) the highest, usually elected, law-enforcement officer of a county, whose allegiance is generally to the citizens of the jurisdiction that elected him. Chiefs of Police usually are municipal employees who owe their allegiance to a city or the elected 'executive' that appointed him, not to the citizens of the jurisdiction that they work in. This is usually why Sheriff's are perceived to be better overall with regards to law enforcement, they are actually accountable to their jurisdiction through the election process. Also notable is that PA also has elected Constables (which operates similar to Sheriff's, with additional voting location security and bail enforcement actions)

I know sheriff's in Suffolk just got police officer status about 25 years ago. They only had peace officer status before that. Maybe the actual elected sheriff has more clout than a regular PO, but I wouldn't say he has more clout than the PD commit, especially in downstate NY.