Technologies of the past

The name of that language will come to me. I'm thinking it was an acronym but then the acronym spelled out a male name.

@genius - the last time I used assembler, we had a project at the Bank to get the securities information onto a File Server so it could be used for what was then a new Client Server system. This was before there was FTP to automatically convert data types so we wrote assembler programs to do byte by byte conversions. That was the power of BAL, you could manipulate date at the bit level.
We mostly used NDM, instead of sFTP/FTP to move data between servers. I also created multiple programs that used COBOL/JCL and CICS to originally back in the day to send messages to my pager about job status so I could go eat lunch and watch my jobs progress. We then created an email template for our front office staff to kick off emails from CICS to customers and clients. We never had to deal with servers clogged issues (from our side) we could send over 40 million emails in batch job at night and have no performance issues (even handling Out of Office and e-failures (no domain, no user accounts, etc) and process them back as Print jobs (sent via letter and snail mail) back in the 1990's and early 2000's - the jobs still run and are used (Still talk with my old boss there as occasionally if they need guidance on the programs I wrote for them need to be updated or altered)

billyS

Reign of Terror
We mostly used NDM, instead of sFTP/FTP to move data between servers. I also created multiple programs that used COBOL/JCL and CICS to originally back in the day to send messages to my pager about job status so I could go eat lunch and watch my jobs progress. We then created an email template for our front office staff to kick off emails from CICS to customers and clients. We never had to deal with servers clogged issues (from our side) we could send over 40 million emails in batch job at night and have no performance issues (even handling Out of Office and e-failures (no domain, no user accounts, etc) and process them back as Print jobs (sent via letter and snail mail) back in the 1990's and early 2000's - the jobs still run and are used (Still talk with my old boss there as occasionally if they need guidance on the programs I wrote for them need to be updated or altered)
Mainframes are much more reliable than servers.

Late 60’s, early 70’s.. One of the holidays and my grandmother invited the extended family over for dinner and a surprise…
The surprise was a brand new Zenith 19 inch TV in one of those fancy wooden cabinets. It even came with a “record player” as we used to call them with not one, but TWO speakers..
Dozens of us crammed around this TV to watch a movie… great memory

billyS

Reign of Terror
Late 60’s, early 70’s.. One of the holidays and my grandmother invited the extended family over for dinner and a surprise…
The surprise was a brand new Zenith 19 inch TV in one of those fancy wooden cabinets. It even came with a “record player” as we used to call them with not one, but TWO speakers..
Dozens of us crammed around this TV to watch a movie… great memory
I remember when one of my friends got a color TV. The first on the block. They invited a bunch of us over to watch a show and the thing I remember most was his mother constantly repeating "Isn't it a thrill watching it in color?".

You guys realize I'm sure that machines run on machine code. An assembler is just a program that converts instructions written using mnemonics to computer-readable machine code. They also kept track of addresses using mnemonics. The assembler program can be native to the target machine, i.e. it runs on the target machine — or not. So you can have an assembler for a PDP-8 that ran on a PC or visa versa.

I used to do a lot of assembler programing for various non Intel (and Intel) microprocessors and the assemblers (non-native or native) ran on PC's. Also there are software emulators that ran on various machines that allow checkout (although not in real time) of the software. There were also hardware emulators, that could run in real time in the target hardware and they were not native to the target processors.

Back in the early days of microprocessors (70'S) there weren't even emulators and you had to debug software using a logic analyzer. Displays on the logic analyzer were in binary (or octal or hex but binary was easier). Because of this you spent a lot of time prior to burning the code to make sure it was as correct as possible as finding errors using a logic analyzer was so difficult. In those days you spent a lot of time flowcharting before a single line of code was generated.

Back in the 70's I went to a job interview where the company was all RF engineering and they were being dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age. There were 700 employees and not a single one could ask me technical questions. They bid the job they got at fixed price w/o knowing what they were doing digitally wise and I had the task of telling them that their code (and resultant memory hardware) estimate was off by a factor of 50X. Memory back then wasn't cheap (nor was I)

With assembler you can do really great things with almost no computing power. For example the Apollo Guidance Computer was 64Kb, 16 bits and 1 Mhz.

Also you can use higher level languages to do the time insensitive stuff and do he bottle neck routines in assembler.
Do you recall what projects in LILCO that they wanted you for? Substations related perhaps.
Crazy thing I just found out that one of the games I used to love playing on my PC, was written in Assembler.

https://www.pcgamer.com/age-of-empi...raft-even-though-we-had-twice-as-many-pixels/

Crazy thing I just found out that one of the games I used to love playing on my PC, was written in Assembler.

https://www.pcgamer.com/age-of-empi...raft-even-though-we-had-twice-as-many-pixels/
Here is exactly why they did that "
low-level Assembly code because 'we could scroll the screen and fill it with sprites as fast or faster' than competitors like Starcraft 'even though we had twice as many pixels
although I don't know what the difference is between "low level assembly code" and just "assembly code" what they most certainly did was (as I posted prior) "use higher level languages to do the time insensitive stuff and do he bottle neck routines in assembler."
In Starcraft case the bottle neck routines were the screen refresh routines.