Taking On ***?

I've recently noticed (or, at least, paid closer attention to) expanded offerings on both Eros and Cityvibes.

Eros now offers a free logged in experience in which users can conduct more detailed searches and create a favorites library. They also have a branded dating site (although, it may just be a reskinned version of an existing dating site—I haven't bothered to do much snooping around the site to find out). And, they've announced that they will soon offer user reviews.

Cityvibes has had some sort of user review functionality for some time by linking to another service. There are also discussion forums on this other site.

In the case of Eros, I wonder if this expansion of their offerings is in part a smart business move (since they are the predominant digital display advertising site in the category and thus have established brand equity in the market as well as a large amount of traffic to their site), or a defensive move to protect their market share. With the introduction of several new competing sties, such as Slixa, they must be concerned.

All of that said, *** doesn't seem to be doing much to change their basic business model. Either they have no reason for concern, or no one's really minding the store over there.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I have not really been paying much attention so i can not say for sure but if i had to take a guess, when the head honcho at *** went to jail, they had to move away from their main business model of bribery and extortion to create their revenue stream.