STD issues and discussion

I would've wanted to get the vaccine when I was younger, but the approved age limit for it was 27. I was just a few years older back then. Well, looks like they've recently upped the age limit to 45, so I can _again_ not get it. I guess I'll check back again when I turn 70.
Yeah, never occurred to me that there would be an age limit.

The age limit is there to try and get the "virgins", they do not recommend after sexual activity begins.. by then you've most likely been exposed to some strains of HPV already, and the vaccines only prevent cancer from some of the strains not all the strains

It's not an age limit per se; it is more of an age statistic where the probability of being sexually active, and thus already being infected, is so high for the over 26 cohort that the vaccine (and hence the cost to the health care system) would be wasted. It is estimated that 80% of the population has population has been exposed to HPV.

It's not an age limit per se; it is more of an age statistic where the probability of being sexually active, and thus already being infected, is so high for the over 26 cohort that the vaccine (and hence the cost to the health care system) would be wasted. It is estimated that 80% of the population has population has been exposed to HPV.
Yeah, I know the exposure figure is high (hence the offhand joke in another thread somewhere) but exposure doesn't equal contagion, necessarily. My own experience points to one of three things. Either I didn't get it, or I got it and I'm not a vector, or I got it and nobody ever said anything (seems improbable since I've always been vocal about it).
That said, I'm way past the age limit too. But never really considered if it was an option, as I'd been exposed already. Of course, very unlike me, I did not have this conversation with my doctor. With an upcoming physical, perhaps I will.