Spitzer will walk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/1/06/AR2008110602176.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7714547.stm

N.Y. Prosecutors Will Not Charge Eliot Spitzer

By Carrie Johnson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 6, 2008; 3:52 PM

Former New York Gov. Eliot M. Spitzer (D) will not face criminal charges for his role in the prostitution scandal that drove him from office this year, prosecutors announced this afternoon.

Spitzer, a hard-driving scion of a Manhattan real estate family, was exposed in March as a customer of the Emperors Club VIP, a pricey call girl ring busted by federal authorities. He used the ring's services repeatedly, sometimes traveling to Washington's Mayflower Hotel and other locations for liaisons with women that cost as much as $4,000.

The uproar over the payments prompted a crisis in New York state government that ultimately chased Spitzer out of the governor's seat. While Spitzer retired from public life, joining his father's real estate investment company, the investigation by the FBI, the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York continued.

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Michael J. Garcia said today that his office had uncovered no evidence that Spitzer used public or campaign funds in a series of payments to a shell company, QAT Consulting.

"We have determined that there is insufficient evidence to bring charges against Mr. Spitzer for any offense relating to the withdrawal of funds for, and his payments to, the Emperors Club VIP," Garcia said in a prepared statement.

Justice Department policy generally discourages bringing criminal charges against customers who purchase the services of prostitutes or transport them across state lines. Lawyers for Spitzer had argued that prosecutors would need to indict all of the services' clients, not just Spitzer, to prove they were not singling out the controversial New York Democrat.

Spitzer released a statement saying that "I understand the Office of the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York has decided that it will not bring criminal charges against me. I appreciate the impartiality and thoroughness of the investigation by the U.S. Attorney's Office and I acknowledge and accept responsibility for the conduct it disclosed.

"I resigned my position as Governor because I recognized that conduct was unworthy of an elected official. I once again apologize for my actions, and for the pain and disappointment those actions caused my family and the many people who supported me during my career in public life."

Last edited:
Wouldn't you want to walk if you were in his shoes?
I would deserve it if I had done what he did and tried to do to everyone who was involved in this business. I have no mercy for the moralistic scumbags who get caught doing what they had been preaching against in their daily lives, without anyone asking them to.

Last edited:
I would deserve it if I had done what he did and tried to do to everyone who was involved in this business. I have no mercy for the moralistic scumbags who get caught doing what they had been preaching against in their daily lives, without anyone asking them to.
Who are you to judge? Is what you or any of us do so much better than he was? Really, guys, lift your chins to the curb and move on.

My chin is where it should be. I am a fellow monger and I take personal offense if someone of my flock tries to go out of his way to harm people like me and you, when he has more important things to do.

Spitzer, or as someone called him, "our nation’s personal Batman in the fight against prostitution" was not a regular politician who was caught doing what we all do.

This is from another bloggist: "...he personally destroyed the lives of countless people involved in sex work. It would be manifestly unjust if he were spared the punishment that he so consensually inflicted on others."

I am sorry, but I don't have it in me to forgive a jerk like him. Please don't try to compare him with the rest of us.

He stole money from the taxpayer. I could care less about where he sticks his wang.
You sure about that?

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Michael J. Garcia said today that his office had uncovered no evidence that Spitzer used public or campaign funds in a series of payments to a shell company, QAT Consulting.

"We have determined that there is insufficient evidence to bring charges against Mr. Spitzer for any offense relating to the withdrawal of funds for, and his payments to, the Emperors Club VIP," Garcia said in a prepared statement.

It doesn't seem like he stole. Never say never though. Nothing would surprise me, especially with a guy who was actively cracking down on crime that he partook in.

He stole money from the taxpayer. I could care less about where he sticks his wang.
He didn't. Everything he did was with his own post-tax money. The issue that prosecutors were looking into was whether he used campaign funds to see hookers. He didn't.

But, FWIW, as a technical matter, every time you see a provider, if you want to adhere to your duty to the taxpayers, you should be getting a social-security number and filing a 1099 for her employment as an independent contractor. You do that, right Puffin?

Hey, this is good news for all of us. The Feds don't prosecute mongers. Hip hip hooray.

The real lesson from the Spitzer saga is: be discreet out there, and don't use agencies or ladies with high public profiles.

MY thoughts,

Chels

No, the real lesson from the Spitzer saga is don't see prostitutes if you're a crusading AG who became governor.

I'd say this has like zero to do with the rest of us.

Let me be clearer: they ONLY investigated him because they saw he was an officeholder and so wanted to be sure he wasn't using public funds. As far as we know, NO other customer of the agency was even looked at.

Elliot Spitzer is a coward.

Bad enough he is a monger like us. He was going out of his way to be self righteous about it. You want a woman to lick your ass with your church socks on than get a mistress like Billy Clinton did. You reach a level of power in politics you can have any woman you want. That is what I don't understand. Gov Paterson had 4 5 hos and homey is blind as a bat.

Gov Paterson blind but manage to have fine ass black and latin women. Not to mention is wife is hot too. Yet Elliot Spitzer spends 80 gs on a NJ ho that was getting fucked in Newark NJ and other places ( I saw her before years back).

The moral of the story when your a powerful man get a mistress that will lick your ass with your church socks on.

God Bless Gov Paterson he bring his hos to the Motel 8. LOL

I still can't get over that.

I understand the hatred for the guy because he prosecuted mongers while he was at it himself. That does change the flavor of what he did. Because of that it's hard to have any sympathy for the guy, but somehow I still do.

OTOH, my problem with him is that I think he should get 90 days in jail just for being a moron. Apparently, a Harvard and Princeton education dont mean shit. There is NO WAY the chief executive of a state can transfer money the way he did and not expect to get caught. Even if he didnt officially have a security clearance (I'd bet he did), there is a constant concern over blackmail with elected officials and they're going to be watched. It's just a fact of life.

He should have known better.

Last edited: