Snow blowers

I passed on a recently offered supposedly almost new snow blower for a few bucks because I actually crave the joy of shoveling snow especially in the middle of a blizzard.(better than skiing)

This one was no exception. The exhilaration of the cold and the arm and leg work, and the breathing of frosty cold air delights me as much as mongering itself, and maybe moreso, when the shoveling sessions extend into a two to three hour encounter.

I had my snow shoveling uniform on, of knee-length shorts, great springy knee compression copper knee sleeves, no socks and good sneakers. On the top, a cotton t shirt, with a cotton sweater, and a thin waterproof jacket, and Thinsulate gloves.(clothes chosen for basic warmth, but more importantly, easy movement, and good warm gloves with a good grip are the key)

My weapons of choice, two snow shovels. One being a heavy plastic blade-scoop, with a straight wood shaft with a rubber grip. My second shovel for the heavy plowing, an angled crooked bent hollow tubular steel shaft shovel with an extra-large scoop blade (donated to me by a U.S. Marine and 911 fireman who recently passed on of natural causes)

Had a pre-shoveling lunch of black coffee, toasted whole grain breads and lavash, humus, smothered with raw onions and raw garlic to fuel up to battle the frost.

My neighbor was working a Toro and we exchanged words and met in front of the adjoining houses to discuss sidewalk clearing duties.

Never felt so alive!!!
So did you go for some massages afterwards

So did you go for some massages afterwards
No, @Bricktop!!! (LMAO) (You’re a funny guy)

You know how it goes. A little hard work never killed anyone, especially if you are exercising regularly and working around the house, anyway.

You wake up a little stiff and sore from contorting your body in awkward positions and falling on your ass a few times, landing on soft snow. You take a hot shower, drink a cup of coffee and you are as good as new.

Strange and ironic as it might sound, “massage” is usually never for soothing tight and sore muscles, anymore. Especially when stretching and yoga, hot epson salt baths, and a steamy hot shower are more than adequate for relief in most cases.

“Massage” in today’s parlance is the new alternate word for “sex,” or so it seems, at least amongst “our types.”

But, Thank God, my SO still goes by the old Webster’s Dictionary outdated definition of the term. After a hard day she actually tells me I should take care of myself and get a massage, and who the hell am I to argue with the lady?!!!!!!

So, @Bricktop, if your question (and don’t think I missed your sly insinuation in the question; in fact, I even felt you smirk and snicker) is, “Did the snow shoveling require me to go to the nearest AMP for immediate sensual pleasures?”

The answer is “no, I thought about it, but the AMP’s were probably all closed, due to the snow storm. And, being forewarned of the snowstorm the day before, and knowing I would be boxed in for a few days, I wisely went for an “ahem, massage.”

Had to give a bigger tip than usual because of Chinese New Year, “Year of The Water Tiger.”

The girl also asked me for the traditional Chinese “red envelope” given on this holiday, with an undisclosed amount of money inside. I told her that I am fresh out of red envelopes and she told me that she can provide me with a courtesy red envelope free of charge, as long as I stuff it with money. Realizing it comes but once a year, I reached back into my pocket for another twenty.

I thought it was mandated to have ethanol now in tristate
Yes and no.. the law requires it, but there are also small engine and racing engine applications that are exempt. So they make you pay for the opt-out, by doing nothing to the gas by not processing and adding the MTBE (which they eventually banned), Ethanol instead of paying for 85% gas and 15% ethanol for anywhere between $3.50-$4/gallon with multiple grade octane options (87, 89, 91+), they also have this opt-out gas for anywhere between $12-$15/gallon.

Home power tools work best on 87 octane. The race gas isn’t advised for such uses as these are low compression engines. Fresh fuel is more important and stabilize at end of season

No snow blower for me, yet. It takes me a while to act on things. I did suffer some awful tennis elbow from overdoing it shoveling in prior years.
One trick is to spray your shovel with WD-40, or car wax to prevent the snow sticking.

You can get race gas at SK speed in 5 gal cans
Yes. S&K sells VP race fuel, you do need to do some research though...some of the fuels VP produces do in fact contain ethanol

And 5 gallons of a race fuel will last a really long time...only being used in small engines...

One of my track cars gets around 6 mpg

Buying from Lowes Ace, Home Depot gives you fuel in manageable quantities....and you don't have to get a transfer pump etc...

I ave a place in Vermont...and there is a Stewarts on Rt 22 in Cambridge, NY that sells non ethanol premium... A few timrs a year I fill up a 2-1/2 gal jug on my way home..

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I got an EGO battery powered 2 stage snowblower at the end of last year. I used it a month or so ago the last time it snowed and it worked great. This snow storm it worked great too. Handled my driveway and walkway fine. I have 2 kids with cars and one of them parks on the street so I had to clear out some of the street in front of my house. I had to make a couple of passes and at the end of the job I wanted to do a little more in front of the house but the batteries were all used up! Granted it was an unusually big snowstorm and I had to make a couple of passes ... but that caught me by surprise. Still got the job done and quite frankly I could have charged the batteries for 30 minutes or an hour and gone back outside and finished what I wanted to do anyway. Just a cautionary tale. If you have a long 2 car wide driveway - a battery powered snowblower may not be for you. That being said - all you do is push a button and you are off! It worked great.
I was curious about these. The battery tech is getting better and better.

In my small gas machines I use ethanol free gas I buy at Lowes (same price at HD but Lowes has 5% off if you use their card — more money for mongering) Comes out to about $17/gal and I use maybe a gal over the season. Last use of any gas machine I have (with snow blower or generator where I drain reg gas and replace with pint of ethanol free gas) I add stabilizer and run until dry.
Ethanol is murder on flexible fuel lines, gaskets etc. so best, if you use it, not to leave during storage.
If I have a lot of hours on an engine I change the oil at end of season. Takes all of 10 minutes and less than a qt of oil. Manuals (everyone reads them right?) says do not use multi-weight, high detergent or synthetic oil so I use decent brand name single weight oil.

Ps. Gotta love UG! Where else can you get info on correct lube for machines and hookers on one site!
The reason for no synthetic believe it or not it’s to slick for the started gear to grab.

Thanks for the tip on the ethanol free gas. Never noticed they sell it.

Aviation fuel is the best. The smaller air ports will sell it to you if you have good gas cans. That stuff is so clean if you spill it on yourself it drys almost instantly. Super high octane as well and small motors love high octane it helps them run cooler. I also put some in my quad and snowmobile, you don’t get the best gas on the trails.

Love the info from this site. It’s just a great place all the way around.

They have 1 Qt cans and larger cans for straightgas, 40:1 gas/oil, 50:1 gas/oil. I forget where in the store but I think by the small gas engine machine are (chin saws, leaf blowrs, etc)
Since I use so little of it (gal or 2) not worth me hunting for a gas station near N/S border that carries it. Plus when you buy the cans you get correctly labelled and color coded cans for your garage.
I have been using canned fuel for over 4 years on all my stuff 50 to 1 and straight fuel...drain at the end of the year then put canned fuel in and run it through the carburetor turn off the supply if it had it and let it stay in the carburetor to keep everything lubricated...I keep canned fuel in the generator all the time until I lose power which has not happened in a number of years...the guy at the repair shop said I only have to start it twice a year and have done that without any problems

Moved to LI from MA 10 years ago. Brought 10hp Cub Cadet that I bought in 2000. Worked great in deep snow.
2 years ago I ran an Ariens SHO at family in CT and it blew away the Cub in slush. That's 90% of what we deal with on island.
Sold Cub next day and bought Ariens SHO 30" . SUPER happy.
Was away for weekend storm up in mountains and Ariens cleaned right to cement on Monday.

I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I got an EGO battery powered 2 stage snowblower at the end of last year. I used it a month or so ago the last time it snowed and it worked great. This snow storm it worked great too. Handled my driveway and walkway fine. I have 2 kids with cars and one of them parks on the street so I had to clear out some of the street in front of my house. I had to make a couple of passes and at the end of the job I wanted to do a little more in front of the house but the batteries were all used up! Granted it was an unusually big snowstorm and I had to make a couple of passes ... but that caught me by surprise. Still got the job done and quite frankly I could have charged the batteries for 30 minutes or an hour and gone back outside and finished what I wanted to do anyway. Just a cautionary tale. If you have a long 2 car wide driveway - a battery powered snowblower may not be for you. That being said - all you do is push a button and you are off! It worked great.
At the end of last year, due to a sale and because I had a lot of Home Depot gift cards that I had gotten for Xmas, I bought the Ryobi equivalent. First time I used it was this past weekend with that crazy snowstorm and I thought it was great but yeah, got about 30-35 minutes of battery. Fortunately that was enough to do my driveway including the snow piled in front by street plows and a path in my backyard. Just feel it should run as advertised by Ryobi which claimed 45 mins. So not perfect but interested to see what EGO and Ryobi continue to do in the future in terms of electric snowblowers.

At the end of last year, due to a sale and because I had a lot of Home Depot gift cards that I had gotten for Xmas, I bought the Ryobi equivalent. First time I used it was this past weekend with that crazy snowstorm and I thought it was great but yeah, got about 30-35 minutes of battery. Fortunately that was enough to do my driveway including the snow piled in front by street plows and a path in my backyard. Just feel it should run as advertised by Ryobi which claimed 45 mins. So not perfect but interested to see what EGO and Ryobi continue to do in the future in terms of electric snowblowers.
Similar to EV (electric vehicles) the manufacturers claims that state ‘X’ amount of hours or miles on a fully charged battery represent usage in optimum conditions. Extreme heat or cold, will affect output by 10-20%

justme

homo economicus
Similar to EV (electric vehicles) the manufacturers claims that state ‘X’ amount of hours or miles on a fully charged battery represent usage in optimum conditions. Extreme heat or cold, will affect output by 10-20%
Not their fault that you wait to clear snow when it’s below 40…

Yeah - I knew that claims of the manufacturer were likely to be excessive. But I have to say - we had a reported 16 inches and it handled it all - I had already done part of the street in front of my house - it's only when I tried to do more that I ran out of battery. Overall I am thrilled with it. If the thing crapped out on me while doing the driveway I would have been pissed. THis is only the second time I have used it so I guess more time is needed to make a real judgment on its performance.

Yeah - I knew that claims of the manufacturer were likely to be excessive. But I have to say - we had a reported 16 inches and it handled it all - I had already done part of the street in front of my house - it's only when I tried to do more that I ran out of battery. Overall I am thrilled with it. If the thing crapped out on me while doing the driveway I would have been pissed. THis is only the second time I have used it so I guess more time is needed to make a real judgment on its performance.
Yeah, I had the same problem with my gas unit — it ran out of gas when almost done (I only fill half tank as I don't like a lot of gas left in the tank when done.) I had to get my gas can, pour in some gas, and start it again to finish. Didn't bother with the electric start as when the unit is hot, a couple of pushes with my thumb on the fuel primer bulb, single pull w/o choke and off and running again.

Don't get me wrong — I believe in using batteries but only for specific purposes, e.g.my electric tooth brush, wireless mouse, smoke & CO2 alarms, cell phone, battery to start my car's gas engine.:rolleyes: