Snow blowers

I'd recommend gas, and at a minimum the following must haves...

I have an old craftsmen with over 10 snow seasons - so some of the features i would want in the future model for when I replace (based solely on my experiences of wish I had or already enjoy)

(have and love)
  1. Electric starter, the convenience of not pulling multiple times is worth every penny (especially if you are all gloved and bundled up.
  2. Variable speed controls - go slower when heavier apron, or hard packed down snow and faster when light/fluffy snow
(want and need)
  1. "joystick" chute controls, so much nicer than the manual cover-adjuster, with turn-crank to adjust the snow-throw
  2. 3-Stage (I have the 2-stage), very helpful with "larger snow accumulations"
  3. Single-handed operation (I have 2 handed one side-auger the other engages the wheel), causing multiple stops along the way to adjust the chute direction.... meaning I am outside longer clearing snow. Being able to run the snowblower and change the chute at the same-time would be awesome.
  4. Easy-Turn capability - on big snowblowers having to do less muscle effort to turn would be nice as I get older.
  5. Wider impeller; if you can upgrade from the standard 12 inch in heavy snow this larger size will speed things up.
(before the season)
Have ski goggles and neoprene face mask, invariably you will eventually get a full of snowblower "facial" when the wind changes direction on you. i wear my ski/snowboard set-up
https://thestratosfair.com/products/winter-sport-goggles-with-mask?variant=35459213623450

Before the season, purchase extra shearing pins (they will fail as they are designed to do when you find the buried newspaper in your driveway), and at the most inopportune moment, and you'll be stuck with snow shoveling your way to the store to replace. A six-pack will cost less then $10

Also ensure you have a sturdy stick (free), or spend the $20 to get a Deflector/Clean-Out stick for if/when the chute gets clogged; no reason to lose any fingers/limbs....
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Snow-Deflector/1158031

If you're prone to losing "keys", get a set of replacement keys ($10) to have or if you buy used from someone else and they don't have the keys any more.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...now-blower-parts-and-accessories/7214265?x429
I have a three stage. I hate it.
The shear pins are always breaking and the belt slips in heavy wet snow where my old two stage would cut through like butter. Once the belt slips it has to be replaced. Pain in the ass especially in a cold garage.

I found that if I keep the Auger spinning the whole time I have better luck with it.
It’s also very heavy.

It would work better in dry deep snow like they get upstate.

Long Island snow storms frequently bring the heavy, wet snow. So you need something with good throwing power. Consumer Reports does good comparisons. I'd stay with a gas powered, two stage model. Always use a gas stabilizer and premium gas for the blower. A 24 - 26" wide model should be satisfactory for average house. I was happy with my Toro Power Max 824oe 24" 252 cc two stage gas snow blower. 0C9FC808-BF07-41CE-81F9-2CCC574D6066.jpeg
0C9FC808-BF07-41CE-81F9-2CCC574D6066.jpeg

If you prefer to fill up at a gas station, and don't want the ethanol problems (its more expensive) but especially in yard equipment the reduced costs of equipment problems because of ethanol its worth every penny. (chainsaws, back-pack blower, lawn mower, snow blower,e tc,)

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY
The ethanol is very hard on feed tubes and is hygroscopic (pulls water out of the air - not good)

The only 3 stations I could find using that link were Huntington (now closed), Lake Grove (details says does not sell ethanol free) and Water Mill $4.98/gal.

Looks like I'm going to continue to buy it at Lowes $20/gal.

I'd recommend gas, and at a minimum the following must haves...

I have an old craftsmen with over 10 snow seasons - so some of the features i would want in the future model for when I replace (based solely on my experiences of wish I had or already enjoy)

(have and love)
  1. Electric starter, the convenience of not pulling multiple times is worth every penny (especially if you are all gloved and bundled up.
  2. Variable speed controls - go slower when heavier apron, or hard packed down snow and faster when light/fluffy snow
(want and need)
  1. "joystick" chute controls, so much nicer than the manual cover-adjuster, with turn-crank to adjust the snow-throw
  2. 3-Stage (I have the 2-stage), very helpful with "larger snow accumulations"
  3. Single-handed operation (I have 2 handed one side-auger the other engages the wheel), causing multiple stops along the way to adjust the chute direction.... meaning I am outside longer clearing snow. Being able to run the snowblower and change the chute at the same-time would be awesome.
  4. Easy-Turn capability - on big snowblowers having to do less muscle effort to turn would be nice as I get older.
  5. Wider impeller; if you can upgrade from the standard 12 inch in heavy snow this larger size will speed things up.
(before the season)
Have ski goggles and neoprene face mask, invariably you will eventually get a full of snowblower "facial" when the wind changes direction on you. i wear my ski/snowboard set-up
https://thestratosfair.com/products/winter-sport-goggles-with-mask?variant=35459213623450

Before the season, purchase extra shearing pins (they will fail as they are designed to do when you find the buried newspaper in your driveway), and at the most inopportune moment, and you'll be stuck with snow shoveling your way to the store to replace. A six-pack will cost less then $10

Also ensure you have a sturdy stick (free), or spend the $20 to get a Deflector/Clean-Out stick for if/when the chute gets clogged; no reason to lose any fingers/limbs....
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Snow-Deflector/1158031

If you're prone to losing "keys", get a set of replacement keys ($10) to have or if you buy used from someone else and they don't have the keys any more.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...now-blower-parts-and-accessories/7214265?x429

MONTY! Great suggestion - the face mask and goggles! I just ordered a set up! I hate that blast in the face of snow! This will make a big difference! Thanks!

Long Island snow storms frequently bring the heavy, wet snow. So you need something with good throwing power. Consumer Reports does good comparisons. I'd stay with a gas powered, two stage model. Always use a gas stabilizer and premium gas for the blower. A 24 - 26" wide model should be satisfactory for average house. I was happy with my Toro Power Max 824oe 24" 252 cc two stage gas snow blower. View attachment 9975 View attachment 9975
I used my snow blower maybe 3 time in past couple of years. I'm sure that unit shown will work great but for me it doesn't make sense to find some place to store and maneuver it around.

If I was maintenance guy for apartment building, school, etc I'm sure I would get one that size, but for my driveway and walk doesn't seem practical.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I used my snow blower maybe 3 time in past couple of years. I'm sure that unit shown will work great but for me it doesn't make sense to find some place to store and maneuver it around.

If I was maintenance guy for apartment building, school, etc I'm sure I would get one that size, but for my driveway and walk doesn't seem practical.
I cleaned out a spot in my garage right by the door in case I find one I like.

It might be too late, they might all be sold out but I'm thinking of buying a snow blower this year.

I've had it with shoveling and not ready to become a snow bird yet.

I started doing some research but I figured I'd see if anyone here has suggestions.
Or warnings from past experiences.

I'm mostly interested in something that can handle the apron once the plows fill it up.
When are you going to be ready to become a snow bird??? Buying a $1000 machine is the equivalent of paying someone $100 for shoveling 10 snowstorms that you wouldn't want to shovel yourself. Around here that $1000 could last you 10 yrs, even more if you can pay less than 100.

........ Buying a $1000 machine is the equivalent of paying someone $100 for shoveling 10 snowstorms that you wouldn't want to shovel yourself. Around here that $1000 could last you 10 yrs, even more if you can pay less than 100.
You left out: and fueling it, and unfueling it at end of season, and maintaining it and storing it, and hauling your ass out of bed heading out to the cold instead of watching the guy shoveling while you're sitting in a nice comfy house sipping a cup of coffee.

The ethanol is very hard on feed tubes and is hygroscopic (pulls water out of the air - not good)

The only 3 stations I could find using that link were Huntington (now closed), Lake Grove (details says does not sell ethanol free) and Water Mill $4.98/gal.

Looks like I'm going to continue to buy it at Lowes $20/gal.
The stations are updated periodically - all based upon users being kind (like a Utopia Guide for gas mongers, lol) and putting in the information.

I purchased 20 gallons for my generator (just before the last hurricane scare I think it was Henri) at the Lake Grove one; it is the closest for me. It is more expensive though than the ethanol crap (corn subsidies make the gas 15% cheaper by volume but you also suffer the 15% less gas mileage and more engine/gas problems.

You get it as heart attack and bad back insurance

You get it as heart attack and bad back insurance
If I were to get a heart attack I would think I would get it during one of my 5K runs I do 3X a week (or treadmill in bad weather or running trail is not usable) and not by pushing my light, single stage snowblower for half an hour. Also pulling a heavy 2 stage snowblower out of storage from my shed I would think is more likely to throw my back out than pulling a much lighter single stage unit out.

This is not about not wanting to spend money on equipment — I spent much more on my treadmill (that I and my SO each use maybe 15X a year) than what a good 2 stage snowblower cost (that I would statistically need such a unit 1X every couple of years); its just about practical considerations.

That said I would think if I was a person that concerned about heart attack and bad back (and maybe frost bite) I would pay someone to shovel my walk. After every major snowstorm enterprising young men with shovels walk down my street inquiring to home owners if they want their walk shoveled (I guess there is not much roof work to be done that day and landscaping/lawn mowing season is over, so they otherwise have no other employment.) Or I could contract with someone to do it.

If I lived in Buffalo, like my someone I know, I would have a major heavy duty 2 stage snowblower as he gets more snow a year than we get in a decade on LI. But I live on Long Island where sometimes for years in a row I don't use my snowblower at all and when a major snow storm does occur, as it did recently, 18-24 inches is considered a big deal. Last "big" snowfall I plowed 2X: once during the storm when the snow was around 10 inches and the municipal pile at the end of my driveway was fresh and manageable and then after the storm ended when I also cleared off drifts on my my covered porch and cleared enough snow away from my back door so I could open it in an emergency.

To be truthful, my biggest concern after a big snowfall is not plowing snow but getting into Flushing so I can do another type of plowing.

I use a cheap set of waterproof gloves from Harbor freight
https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/gloves/cold-resistant-pvc-gloves-in-orange-large-99691.html

For the older Sears machine I recommend adding some gear lube to the gearbox that drives the auger. There is a small plug you can remove to squirt it into the box. Mine went dry and a slushy snowfall tore up the worm gear drive. I had to tear down the whole front drive mechanism. (Probably a good thing because I found that the augers had rusted on to the drive shaft so the shear pins were no longer working. It was a real PITA to get the augers off and clean up the shaft though )

I also added a rubber set that goes on to the impeller and takes up the space between it and the housing. It made an amazing difference - very few chute clogs and the snow is thrown about twice as far ! It handles slush wel. More power - argh, argh, argh, argh, argh !

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Im...cphy=9004554&hvtargid=pla-1212267155468&psc=1

Billy,

Ariens or Honda with dual stage. 27” or bigger. Any smaller you will have a hard time clearing the wing row from the townies. What ever you do get something with a jap motor. They are 100 times better then a briggs and stratton motor. Carbs seem to never go bad. Storage is key as well. Change the oil and adjust the belts in the spring. Drain all the fuel. Run it till it stalls. Put the choke on and run it again till it stalls. Then pull or use the electric start to push any left over fuel out. Then I shut the fuel put some startron and stabilizer in it. Get some carb board and spray the unit down with WD-40 in the in spring sun. Once it all drips off put it in the corner of the shed and store for the warmer months. A day before the storm pull it out add super only, small motors work best on super and if you can find ethanol free fuel grab that and start it up. Will smoke a bit with the two stabilizers but should run smoothly. I’ve done that for years since I’ve had it since new and never had a problem.
Please keep in mind that it is not a cake walk with a blower. Save a bit of your back but your still wrestling with it. Once your neighbors see it you will have all kinds of people being your bud!
Also I can’t remember where I found it but I bought a blade for mine as well for pushing wet slot. I push all the slip to the bottom of the driveway then take the blade off and use it at full throttle and eight out of ten times it will trow it over the curb to the grass. The wet shit is the worst!
Also WD-40 the shoot before you blow anytime. Help to keep the snow from sticking.
Hope this helps and good luck.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I really appreciate everyone's contributions.

A lot of really great information here, as well as some good opinions.

But taking it all in I'm leaning towards just continuing to shovel myself.

I'm not a handy car guy type. I mean I used to change my own oil and do some small projects like replacing water pumps and tune ups but it wasn't something I enjoyed. It sounds like these things require more maintenance than it's worth if your not the type who doesn't mind giving up a few hours on your day off.

I'm still in good enough shape to shovel out those times the town builds a 24" ridge on my apron five feet from the curb.
In fact some of my younger neighbors can't keep up with me.
But I'm just getting sick of doing it and thought a snow blower would be easier.

I really don't get people coming around looking to make money shoveling.
The kids on my block are too young right now to shovel. No teenagers.

I'm not a handy car guy type. I mean I used to change my own oil and do some small projects like replacing water pumps and tune ups but it wasn't something I enjoyed. It sounds like these things require more maintenance than it's worth if your not the type who doesn't mind giving up a few hours on your day off.

I'm still in good enough shape to shovel out those times the town builds a 24" ridge on my apron five feet from the curb.
But I'm just getting sick of doing it and thought a snow blower would be easier.

Yes,some great advice here.., but don’t be discouraged with maintenance and upkeep. It does sound worse then it is.

From a return on investment, it would take quite a number of storms for the machine to payoff, but ( and I speak for myself ) if you are not in great shape a gas engine beats manual labor anytime :)

So billy, did you ever get a snowblower? If you didn't, you lucked out with this storm as snow is not wet and heavy.

I took my single stage out of my shed and moved it to garage on Friday. Couple pumps on gas bulb, set choke, plugged it in press start, and it was running.

The snow, especially at the end of driveway piled up by the Village really needed a monster blower. Since I started at the garage where the wind kept snow only a couple of inches deep I could get started. As I got into deeper snow (easily 2ft ) I had to take smaller bites than the full width of the feed opening., maybe 6" at a time. So my 80ft driveway took 160 passes instead of with a 12 inch snow where it would take 50-60 passes. All things considered (as discussed in this thread —storage, weight, cost, maintenance) IMHO, the single stage is the way to go on LI.

Snow was light and the single stage had no problem throwing it with the wind but only couple of feet against the wind. If the snow was wet and heavy, I would have had to do a clearing last night during the storm to reduce the amount of snow there today as the single stage would not handle it. A couple of guys rang my doorbell last night and asked if I wanted my snow cleared — as snow was easy to throw I said no thanks. I saw them this am doing my neighbors. They had a single stage like mine and were having hard time starting at the packed snow(from the Village plow) at the end of the driveway.

Put on my flannel lined Dickie jeans, my army helmet liner, down coat and heavy gloves, lined boots and away I went. Biggest problem which caused me to warm up inside a bit was my fingers got too cold.

BTW, putting on my flannel jeans (rolled up at the bottom so plaid flannel makes like a cuff) reminded me when I met up with Dr Judy on a really cold winter day.

i remember meeting her in the office building lobby. She had on fur collared tailored coat, and knee high leather boots and a fur hat. She looked absolutely spectacular — like Tanya out of Dr Zhivago. She looked at my rolled up flannel cuffs, smiled and said "Very fashionable " and led me up to her office for our appointment. She had a absolutely perfect body.

I wonder where she is now?

I have an 18 year old Toro single stage … I don’t think I’ve had to do any service on it over that time. It’s been great and usually starts up within a couple of pulls. Used it yesterday and seems like it may be on its way out. I think I’m gonna pick up a 2 stage one after this season, for next year. Something that is self propelled… nothing too big. I’d recommend getting one if you have room to store it. They don’t need too much maintenance at all. I just used to make sure to empty the gas tank at the end of every season.