Snow blowers

billyS

Reign of Terror
It might be too late, they might all be sold out but I'm thinking of buying a snow blower this year.

I've had it with shoveling and not ready to become a snow bird yet.

I started doing some research but I figured I'd see if anyone here has suggestions.
Or warnings from past experiences.

I'm mostly interested in something that can handle the apron once the plows fill it up.

It might be too late, they might all be sold out but I'm thinking of buying a snow blower this year.

I started doing some research but I figured I'd see if anyone here has suggestions.

I'm mostly interested in something that can handle the apron once the plows fill it up.
HD/Lowe’s should start offering a decent selection of machines within the next few weeks. A gas engine ( opposed to electric) would be best best for clearing sidewalks, plowed in aprons and the like.
For more personalized service, try Long Island Power Equipment. They have storefronts in several locations across Nassau. You may spend slightly more, but IMO they can service, pick up machine if needed and answer your questions. I’ve used them in the past to service my 20 yo Craftsman 5.5 hp machine which is adequate for a 2 car driveway and typical frontage.
I think current prices should range from 600 to 1200, depending on features
( hand warmers, canopies to shield wind, size etc)

( and considering supply chain issues, best best I think would be to consider buying sooner then later)

Based on supply issues the big box places will be best bet. HD sells Ariens which is a great brand. Lowe’s sells YTD and sometimes Toro. Briggs and Stratton engines are most reliable.

Having done this twice, spend the extra $150 or so for bigger model. Usually 27 inch opening,7-8 up, joystick to move the chute. Makes life easier.

anything 27 and up will clear the end of driveway plow build up. Maybe 2 or 3 passes.

if you live in commack, Smithtown, st James or close surrounding area Their is a local
Guy who picks up, maintains and delivers machines back.

Go to Chief on OCR. It’s a JD dealer but the all ways have Ariens in stock

Gasoline and two stage are the options you should be looking for. One stage is auger pulls and throws snow with 2 stage auger pulls and a blower throws it.
I found the lights/shelters more than needed i plow during the day 99% of time and wear appropriate clothing. Get some goggles and good gloves as the vibrations on the handles after a while can get annoying

Any machine over 26 inches is going to be on the heavy side and harder to Maneuver.
Especially as you get older.

Your only going to use it 1-3 times a year and will need to store it the rest of the time.

Buying an electric model is a waste of money IMHO

Last year my 12 year old sears model gave me the finger ... AGAIN - for like the 5th time ... these gas engines are kind of finicky. Granted it gave me 10 year flawless service but the last few years have not gone so well in the reliability department. Nothing like a gas snowblower screwing me and my 56 year old back. I went out and bought an EGO electric 2 stage 24 inch snowblower. I think I paid $1200. It comes with two batteries you can simultaneously charge. Now I just charge batteries. I got it too late last year to try it out but it has great reviews. Now I don't have to worry about anything. Just charge the batteries and go.

There are several considerations:
The size of your area to be plowed
the amount of $ you want to spend
your physical condition, i.e. whether you need the plow to pull itself.
where you can store the device both just before a predicted snow storm and when snow is not predicted or off season.

There have been years where I don't take the unit out of storage. If there is just a couple of inches of snow I don't bother and just use a push shovel to move the snow to the sides of the driveway and walk. Although I'm in my 70's I'm fit and healthy and have no problem with either method.

I have a two car wide driveway maybe 80 ft long and a front walkway.
I have a single stage electric start gas unit. The electric start costs a small premium but allows me to start the unit (plug it in an outlet at end of the garage for literally the couple of seconds it takes to set the choke, push the primer button and push the start button. When the unit is hot I don't bother with the electric start as a single pull starts it back up).

The advantage of a single stage unit is that it is less expensive to buy, easier to store when not needed, easier to position at the end of the garage with vehicles there. Since it's smaller than a 2 stage it is easier maneuver.

Downsides: If you have a monster snowfall you will need to plow for every 10 inches of snow — thus you can't wait until snow stops or can be a problem during middle of the night. This only happens every couple of years. I have plowed much more than 10 inches but it it can't be done in one smooth pass. Also the pile of hard packed snow from the municipal plows where the driveway meets the street are a challenge (I nibble away at them with a 4 inch swath at a time.)

Finally the single stage has a shorter throw than a 2 stage. I never had a problem with this as I throw the right half of driveway to the rigt and the left half to the left. This could be a problem if you have an obstruction (say a solid fence) along side your driveway.

Brand to buy: It's more of what not to buy — don't buy anything made in China.

BTW, last winter when we had the monster snows my neighbor waited for the enterprising young men walking down the street with shovels to clear his snow while he watched them while sipping his morning coffee.

I have always never minded shoveling. I finally bit the bullet and bought an Ariens, a couple years back. Its the delux 28 sho. The machine is a beast. Its super heavy but does a great job.
I never buy this stuff from the depot. I found a dealer in WI online that had a great price and delivered for free.

I have a Cub Cadet purchased at Home depot. 24" 2 stage. Clears everything and is easy to maneuver. No complaints about this snowblower.

I'd recommend gas, and at a minimum the following must haves...

I have an old craftsmen with over 10 snow seasons - so some of the features i would want in the future model for when I replace (based solely on my experiences of wish I had or already enjoy)

(have and love)
  1. Electric starter, the convenience of not pulling multiple times is worth every penny (especially if you are all gloved and bundled up.
  2. Variable speed controls - go slower when heavier apron, or hard packed down snow and faster when light/fluffy snow
(want and need)
  1. "joystick" chute controls, so much nicer than the manual cover-adjuster, with turn-crank to adjust the snow-throw
  2. 3-Stage (I have the 2-stage), very helpful with "larger snow accumulations"
  3. Single-handed operation (I have 2 handed one side-auger the other engages the wheel), causing multiple stops along the way to adjust the chute direction.... meaning I am outside longer clearing snow. Being able to run the snowblower and change the chute at the same-time would be awesome.
  4. Easy-Turn capability - on big snowblowers having to do less muscle effort to turn would be nice as I get older.
  5. Wider impeller; if you can upgrade from the standard 12 inch in heavy snow this larger size will speed things up.
(before the season)
Have ski goggles and neoprene face mask, invariably you will eventually get a full of snowblower "facial" when the wind changes direction on you. i wear my ski/snowboard set-up
https://thestratosfair.com/products/winter-sport-goggles-with-mask?variant=35459213623450

Before the season, purchase extra shearing pins (they will fail as they are designed to do when you find the buried newspaper in your driveway), and at the most inopportune moment, and you'll be stuck with snow shoveling your way to the store to replace. A six-pack will cost less then $10

Also ensure you have a sturdy stick (free), or spend the $20 to get a Deflector/Clean-Out stick for if/when the chute gets clogged; no reason to lose any fingers/limbs....
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Snow-Deflector/1158031

If you're prone to losing "keys", get a set of replacement keys ($10) to have or if you buy used from someone else and they don't have the keys any more.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...now-blower-parts-and-accessories/7214265?x429

Especially if you use the winter formulated gas from a gas station. I use the gas from Lowes w/o any alcohol in it. Yeah it's like $18/gal but it's not like I'm using it to drive cross country.
If you prefer to fill up at a gas station, and don't want the ethanol problems (its more expensive) but especially in yard equipment the reduced costs of equipment problems because of ethanol its worth every penny. (chainsaws, back-pack blower, lawn mower, snow blower,e tc,)

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY

Gasoline and two stage are the options you should be looking for. One stage is auger pulls and throws snow with 2 stage auger pulls and a blower throws it.
I found the lights/shelters more than needed i plow during the day 99% of time and wear appropriate clothing. Get some goggles and good gloves as the vibrations on the handles after a while can get annoying
When I got rid of my 30 year old snapper and saw all of the amenities like electric start and heated grips I was I love