Rooting For ALL Your City's Teams

I hear this argument all the time on the Kay show and wanted to get your opinion about this.
Kay and Legrecca are always screaming at callers who say they like to root for Jets/Giants, Yankees/Mets etc.

I don't have a problem with that, I root for my city. I'm a huge Yankee fan, but I don't root against the Mets, except when they play each other.
Huge Jets fan, but I don't root against the Giants. I root for the home city !

I don't see a problem with rooting for your home city, or see it as breaking an allegiance with your preferred team.

Anyone want to weigh in and give their opinion?

I’m not much of a sports fan but I am for any NY team. Always equated people who acted like that over a team an un-evolved child. Like they have some stock in them outside cheering drunkly from a bar stool or couch. Its all escapism.

the best ways to learn that someones a square peg, NPC, mouth breather with a low IQ is them trying to start conversation with - what do you do? Where are you from? Yankees or mets? I try to scare these people away from me faster than they came

I hear this argument all the time on the Kay show and wanted to get your opinion about this.
Kay and Legrecca are always screaming at callers who say they like to root for Jets/Giants, Yankees/Mets etc.

I don't have a problem with that, I root for my city. I'm a huge Yankee fan, but I don't root against the Mets, except when they play each other.

I don't see a problem with rooting for your home city, or see it as breaking an allegiance with your preferred team.

I feel the same way.
I don't have any Mets or Jets shirts or hats or watch any met games but I do watch the Jets play and hope they do well.

The only teams I root against is the teams that affect mine.
But I do hate the Red Sox, Philly and the Cowboys along with their fans.
I do respect Phillys fans though. Same with Boston.
Real passionate fans, That ride and die with their local teams

I don't understand how people root for teams that are across the country, unless they are transplants from that area.

The comments here have mostly been I root for x and I don't root against y. I think LaGreca rails on the guys who hop on and off the bandwagon depending on who has the better chance to win.

As a Mets fan, I hate the Yankees (mainly because I'm jealous, but lets see how Yanks fans feel after Cohen outspends them. Mets had horrible ownership) and as a Rangers fans, I hate the Islanders but they've always been in the same division and they're actually a rival.

If Satan himself had a baseball team, Id want them to lose every single game they ever played, except for against the Yankees. LGM. If that makes some poor bastard think that I have a low IQ, I won’t be losing sleep over it

I'm a Yankee fan and I hate the Mets and root against them.

Call me whenever the fuck you want.
I was that way since 1969. But since Buck took over the Mets, I hope they get to the World Series and lose to the Yankees assuming they get there. I would certainly root for the Mets versus Houston, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Cleveland or Seattle.

I always rooted for the Yankees in the post-season, dating back to the early 60's when the Series was played in the day and we watched the games in elementary school. Of course, that wasn't the case in 2000 and the damn Yankees did not pay me back in kindness. You can bet I'll be seeking revenge this year, sitting in a bar somewhere with Lightweight chanting LFGM.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I always rooted for the Yankees in the post-season, dating back to the early 60's when the Series was played in the day and we watched the games in elementary school. Of course, that wasn't the case in 2000 and the damn Yankees did not pay me back in kindness. You can bet I'll be seeking revenge this year, sitting in a bar somewhere with Lightweight chanting LFGM.
I'll make sure @lightweight invites me.

I will never Yankee and Mets fans hating each other's teams.

Take this from someone who is not a fan of either team. And not really a fan of baseball. But I follow it and also grew up in a divided house (Brooklyn/Yankee)

There really is no rivalry, The Mets are a replacement team for two teams that left that had real rivalries with the Yankees. The Mets will always be the little brother, there is no way to change it. They are the younger team, they will forever be playing catch-up.

I also don't get Yankee fans shitting on met fans for the owner spending a shit ton of money to get better players. The Yankees have done that for years.

The players come and go only care about money. They will swap NY teams in a second for a paycheck.

There is no rivalry except the ones the fans wished really existed.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I also don't get Yankee fans shitting on met fans for the owner spending a shit ton of money to get better players. The Yankees have done that for years.
That's just a little bit a good natured chop busting for all the years of Mets fans saying the Yankees bought the Championships. A little pay back.

Because in fact the great dynasty teams of the 1996-2001 era were built from the farm system. The core four plus one (Jeter, Mo, Posada, Pettitte and Bernie). O'Neill, Martinez, Giradi , Justice and Cone were all aquired via trade using players developed from the system. Very few players on those teams were outright free agents.

But as an outsider to the nonsense I enjoyed your perspective.

I think that, other than a Fan of one team hating another team in their City (That is not in DIRECT Competition ie. head to head/same division)
the only thing more irrational and somewhat ignorant is :
Questioning &/or criticizing the logic behind someone else's fandom.

Huh ...What??? LOL
Said it once & I'll say it again. The word Fan is short for FANATIC....
"a person who is extremely interested in something, to a degree that some people find unreasonable:"

So what ever could come of unreasonably trying to reason with someone who is unreasonable??

@billyS .. I'll call you tomorrow

Last game I went to was at Ebbets Field. I was only a kid but I remember getting all excited when Pee Wee Reese came up to bat. I was a fan and had all kinds of memorabilia in my room.

And shorty there after the Dodgers left for LA. All the fans were literally stunned.

I was heartbroken but then my father explained it to me "Its just a business and they are making a business decision that's in their best interest and not yours"

So I find a lot of the comments in this threads rather amusing.

I think that, other than a Fan of one team hating another team in their City (That is not in DIRECT Competition ie. head to head/same division)
the only thing more irrational and somewhat ignorant is :
Questioning &/or criticizing the logic behind someone else's fandom.

Huh ...What??? LOL
Said it once & I'll say it again. The word Fan is short for FANATIC....
"a person who is extremely interested in something, to a degree that some people find unreasonable:"

So what ever could come of unreasonably trying to reason with someone who is unreasonable??

@billyS .. I'll call you tomorrow
I do not think hating the Yankees (as a Met fan) is irrational. I think it comes with the territory. I don’t hate them as much as I hate the NY Rangers, but I hate them nonetheless… In fact, the only time I would even consider rooting for the Yankees is if they were in a no holds barred death match with the NY Rangers.

But even then I’d feel dirtier than what’s being picked up in the Street action thread.

Last game I went to was at Ebbets Field. I was only a kid but I remember getting all excited when Pee Wee Reese came up to bat. I was a fan and had all kinds of memorabilia in my room.

And shorty there after the Dodgers left for LA. All the fans were literally stunned.

I was heartbroken but then my father explained it to me "Its just a business and they are making a business decision that's in their best interest and not yours"

So I find a lot of the comments in this threads rather amusing.
Like in Bronx Tale.