Rapid HIV testing in NYC.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Say this post on a Tantra blog...

http://sexyspirits.com/blog/articles/current-posts/free-rapid-hiv-and-syphilis-testing

FREE Rapid (20 minute) HIV test, including a copy of your results
FREE Syphilis screening
FREE Condoms and lube
FREE Individual counseling
FREE nicotine patches/lozenges for quitting smoking
Low-cost sexual health services (STD testing and treatment)
Primary care clinic for HIV+

Office is conveniently located by Canal x Broadway near the NRQW, ACE, 6, and JMZ. Clean, professional, non-profit health clinic, and you won’t have to wait for hours.
Open Monday through Friday, with later hours on Wednesday. Our clinic name is APICHA—services are *confidential* and available to everyone regardless of insurance, citizenship, race, age, gender, etc. (you don’t have to be Asian!)

http://www.apicha.org/resources/press/ProjectConnect.html

J

jojohorntoad

If you suspect that you may have been exposed how long do you have to wait before you take a test? Incubation period and all?

THE EIA/ELISA HIV1 and HIV2 tests rely on detecting your bodies antibodies to the given virus. The rule of thumb for EIA ELISA HIV tests is 95% confidence level at 6 months from exposure. Many ID folks believe that average seroconversion time is about 90 days however. I would note that there have been cases where much longer seroconversion times have been suspected.

PCR HIV TESTS are the one's that your doctor can order for you. Pricing varies by country/hospital/insurance in the 150-350 range in general. PCR HIV tests look for the actually RNA of the virus and not the bodies response to the virus.

Usually for screening purposes, you woud just order the qualitative PCR HIV if you had a short term patient paranoid about exposure. A wide variety of precision levels (viral load sensitivities) are availabe under the heading of quantitative PCR HIV studies.

As such PCR HIV testing is thought to be around 95% confidence level at 28 DAYS. Expect the PCR HIV to take from 3 to 7 days to come back depending upon the institution you order it from.

For Hepatitic C testing, one can also use the EIA/ELISA method versus ordering the PCR Hep-C. The PCR method is a more complicated laboratory procedure which takes longer and again, expecting pricing to be significantly higher. That being said, I've heard ID folks quote the figure of only a 5% chance of sexually transferred Hep-C but obviously some practices will drastically change the risk levels.

You can also use a variety of online laboratory consult sites that can order the blood work and send Porta-Med out to you somewhere as anonymous patient I and then you just pay cash and never find that labwork in the laboratory companies computer system where you results may have a lesser extent of privacy.

If you're paranoid, I would suggest

HIV1/2 EIA Combo -- general has reflex to western blot on positive
VDRL - check for syphilis while you at it -- easy to treat
HIV1 PCR Qualitative---
Hep- C EIA - Just run the AB -- just running probabilities-

THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE MEDICAL ADVICE - ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES

Last edited: