Rap and Hip Hop Music....

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
These lines stay with me for days after I hear it...

Hail Mary, full of grace, smack the bitch in the face...
...take her Gucci bag and her Northface...

and

There's gonna be a lot of slow singin' and flower bringin' if my burglar alarm starts ringin'...

The inimitable Notorious B.I.G.

Gavy

Strangest thing is, I really dig EMINM for the same reasons as Kimmie. My 18 yr. old thinks I'm crazy to expose my 11 yr. old to it but I don't play the cursing all that much. Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But there has to be something artistic to it. I can't stand notorious b.i.g. either gavy. Any time I hear someone my age disparage current artists for being vulgar I just play the "Lemon Song" in my head and chuckle. The only difference is that sex & violence in the music , today,(which should be there, because it IS part of life) seems to be, more pervasive. Or maybe prolific is a better word for it.

Last edited:
Now this is a thread i can get with as former DJ/producer.

My top 5 MC's would be:

1.Nas
2.Rakim
3.AZ
4.LL Cool J
5.Slick Rick

My top 5 groups:

1.Main Source
2.Tribe called Quest
3.Nice n Smooth
4.EPMD
5.Pete Rock CL Smooth

JayP-

1.Illmatic-Nas
2.Paid in Full- Rakim
3.Slick Rick-The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
4.A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
5.Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Links
6.Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
7.KRS-One - Criminal Minded
8.EPMD-Strictly Business
9.Kool G Rap - Road To The Riches
10.Mobb Deep- Infamous

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
OK...what song features the line "Got ya' head bobbin' like a Hunts Point hooker"? I haven't heard that in years...not even in the clubs (well, it's been a while) and it's driving me crazy right now.

Thanks,
Gavy

Rap and Hip Hop Music

Hmm... Ive noticed that there arent too many people on BA here who listen to hip-hop, rap, R&B etc. I can count the ones Ive seen on one hand actually.

So... I wanna know. Do you listen to such music? What are your opinions on it and reasons as to why you like & listen to it or hate it and dont?

Im curious to find out how many ppl here listen to that stuff once and for all.

Just my 2 cents,
Kenpachi TZ

Rap and hip hop sucks - rare few are good. The rest need eye candy for what they lack in lyrics, talent and the ability to make their lyrics understood. Total crap - it's way overrated and over compensated. Will be gone soon just like FUBU legacy - and that's a total joke oxymoron. Who's going to buy it if it's FUBU. HA!

I agree most of the current stuff sucks and I dont listen to it but the truly good old school rap (maybe 1980 to the early, mid-90s) is legit and I'll match it up against anything. For the most part I think any rap from the last decade pretty much sucks with rare exception.

New York New York, big city of dreams
And everything in New York ain't always what it seems
You might get fooled if you come from out of town
But I'm down by law and I know my way around

Too much, too many people, too much (aha-ha)
Too much, too many people, too much, Raaah!
GMF