R.I.P. Tom Seaver

RIP Tom Seaver. Thank you for giving this former 14yr old Mets fan a World Series Championship. Alas, another part of my lost youth is no more.
I was going on nine that year. It got me into baseball. I have such a clear image in my mind of his delivery, dragging that right knee in the dirt. Read an obituary today that only increased my respect for him. When he was in college, Lasorda offered him a $2K signing bonus with the Dodgers. He asked for $50K and Lasorda wished him good luck in his dental career.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Dude deserves his own thread.
One of the greatest pitchers of all time and a class act.
He should have been a Yankee and he could have spent his whole career in New York instead of the cheap Mets bungling it twice.

I saw him pitch live once, against the Cardinals at Mets Old Timers day.

The real game, not the old timers game.
He took a line drive off the shin from some scrub named Luis Melendez and had to leave the game.

Most of my memories of him were working the Pix games with the Scooter. They were hilarious together with Seaver always reminding him how he ruined Phil Rizzuto Day by winning his 300th game.

But Seaver was a very knowledgeable announcer and I remember there was talk of him becoming the Yankees GM.

Dude deserves his own thread.
One of the greatest pitchers of all time and a class act.
He should have been a Yankee and he could have spent his whole career in New York instead of the cheap Mets bungling it twice.

I saw him pitch live once, against the Cardinals at Mets Old Timers day.

The real game, not the old timers game.
He took a line drive off the shin from some scrub named Luis Melendez and had to leave the game.

Most of my memories of him were working the Pix games with the Scooter. They were hilarious together with Seaver always reminding him how he ruined Phil Rizzuto Day by winning his 300th game.

But Seaver was a very knowledgeable announcer and I remember there was talk of him becoming the Yankees GM.
Yes that Pix booth was funny back then...great times.

I had a Tom Seaver Rawlings glove when I was a kid. Brought it to a game in 83-84.. Dave “King Kong” Kingman ripped a foul ball right at me (I was on the 3rd base line). Put my glove up and the ball blew right through the webbing and kept going. I didn’t get the ball. And it was the end of my Tom Seaver glove....

:confused:

I was Watching the yanks blow the lead in Thursdays game. What i thought was strange was that there wasn't an arm band or his number on the Mets players sleeves. Maybe I missed something.