QQ early, double up or go home?

Live $300 buy-in tourney with about 40 players. I'm new to the game. The competition seems very good, but I haven't got any real reads on anyone yet.

10 handed table, third hand of the tourney... everyone has about 2500 chips, blinds are 25/50. There's one early position limper (EP)... I get two red Queens in middle position and raise it up to 250. Everyone folds except EP calls for 200 more.

Flop is all undercards: 2 9 T two hearts.

EP checks, I bet 500. EP calls.

Turn is a 5 (no flush).

EP checks. I know that if I check, EP could bet and take down the pot with a worse hand. I think he's got a good flush draw, maybe a pair with a good kicker, or maybe a smaller pair than me. I bet 700. EP calls.

River is 4 (no flush).

EP checks. I think he's missed his flush or straight or he went too far with top pair top kicker. I push the rest of the way in (he has me slightly covered). He calls me with 22 and beats me with a set of deuces.

Is this just one of those hands where you're going broke... what should I have done differently?

My strategy going in, because of the competition, was trying to accumulate chips early.... sort of a double up early or go home mentality, so as not to be an 'intimidated short stack' against good players.

(1) what do you think of my play? what should I have done differently, if anything?

(2) what do you think of my 'double up or go home' strategy against opponents that are likely better than I?

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
I would have done a few things differently.

1. 5x pre-flop is a pretty big bet. I prefer a standard 3 or 4x bet. Go for small pot poker. It makes it easier to get away from one pair like this.

2. The bet on the turn is useless. Less than half the pot with both a flush and straight draw on board? I can't think of a hand that I would call 500 on the flop, but fold to 700 on the turn. The flop was dangerous and when he smooth called your bet it might have been a draw, but it might have been a sign you were already behind. In this case I worry about 9T for 2 pair, or a flopped set, or a straight and flush draw. At this point, it's early in the tourney. I check and plan on calling a small river bet, or folding to a big one.

3. There was no reason for a river bet at all. The only hands he calls with have you beat. If he missed his draw, he doesn't call. I really don't put him on top pair top kicker. Calling 5x preflop out of position with A T is very weak. And you only have 1 pair, so why not just showdown and hope to take the pot?

There are cases when double-up early or go home makes sense. Online in a turbo, or if you only get 1000 in starting chips. But with 2500, there is no reason to go broke in the 3rd hand.

Had you just checked the river you would still have had about 1000 chips. 20 big blinds isn't great, but it's certainly playable.

The strategy recommended for playing against better players is not "double up or go home." It's push all in pre flop, which forces them to make the hard decision and prevents them from outplaying you after the flop.

Last edited:

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Let's start after the flop (because there's 2 ways to play pre-flop, the way you did, and limp and hope he catches top pair and then you bury him). So, he calls 5x the BB. I think I would have checked it down: the way the hand went down I think I would have put him on pockets, hooks or above.

I disagree with "The strategy recommended for playing against better players is not "double up or go home." It's push all in pre flop, which forces them to make the hard decision and prevents them from outplaying you after the flop." for that eary in the tournement, because i think it's a loser in that if you get called, ther's agood chance you're beat, and if they fold you don't pick up enough chips that it was worth the risk. I actually know a good player who early on will fold anything to high bets (even pocket cowboys, but probably not rockets).

What would I have done differently? After the flop, you bet less than the pot. Raqther than 500 flop and 700 turn, I think I would have bet 700 on the flop. If he smooth calls that, you have to worry, so I don't think I would have put any more money into the pot.

Also, I think the all-in on the river was a really bad play: he only calls if he has you beat and is slow playing you (which he was: frankly, I think he read you stone cold all the way: he knew you had a pp hooks or better, or AT or 2 hearts, possibly QJ, and you missed your 2 draws ). I would have checked the river because if you have him beat, I don't think he calls any bet, and if he calls he has you beat, so it's a no win bet, even if you win the pot. (i.e. I agree with WC on this, but even take it a little further)

Also, I think your double up or go home works in a single table, but not in 40 players. There are 100,000 chips out; so 5,000 doesn't guarantee you anything, while losing guarantees you go home.