Privacy Concern with Mozilla Firefox Crash Reporter

For all you techies out there:

I was in one of my Hotmail accounts and Firefox crashed and absentmindedly I sent in the report and had the url inclusion checked. Yes, I am an idiot.

Concern: What personal info if any is included in that crash report to Mozilla? What level of concern should I have about my acct being infiltrated?

I know that Hotmail url is a generic one even though I am in my personal account. So when I copy and paste that url that I was in to another user id, it does not login automatically.

As well, I perused the crash report on crash-stats.mozilla and I did not see the url or any personal info there but just wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

For all you techies out there:

I was in one of my Hotmail accounts and Firefox crashed and absentmindedly I sent in the report and had the url inclusion checked. Yes, I am an idiot.

Concern: What personal info if any is included in that crash report to Mozilla? What level of concern should I have about my acct being infiltrated?

I know that Hotmail url is a generic one even though I am in my personal account. So when I copy and paste that url that I was in to another user id, it does not login automatically.

As well, I perused the crash report on crash-stats.mozilla and I did not see the url or any personal info there but just wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
My attitude is that there are enough crash reports sent by others that will be similar to my crash that will allow Mozilla to improve their product without the need for my particular report. There simply is no upside to me in sending out a report and there may be a downside.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Re the IP, I don't have any hard information, but I think it very unlikely that you have a problem in this case. If Modzilla wanted to steal personal info that passes through your browser, there are many many ways they could do it more effectively and with greater stealth than by sneaking it into crash reports.

-Ww

+1

You said it..

Stop being an idiot...

Who knows how much data mining goes on.. I never allow those bug reports to be sent...
I was being sarcastic. Truth is, I am worried enough about it to have posted here. Whats done is done.

I googled enough about the Crash Reporter and have not seen anything related to invasion of privacy concerns due to the crash reports. According to eveything I have read and heard today, they only spit out the stack overflows, exceptions, calls etc... and no content.

That was a rather harsh response
When I read a post and respond, I try to help someone out, not make them feel worse. I fully admitted that the submission of the crash report was not in my best interest as it was a mistake.

Dont need someone throwing salt on my blood wounds.

Re the IP, I don't have any hard information, but I think it very unlikely that you have a problem in this case. If Modzilla wanted to steal personal info that passes through your browser, there are many many ways they could do it more effectively and with greater stealth than by sneaking it into crash reports.

-Ww
My concern would be that they would probably get (I'm guessing) my IP address and the IP of the site that I was on when the crash happened. Not all that serious as you point out and not worse than the fact that UG has my IP (I'm not guessing) - but I see no reason that benefits me to send it out, and possible (even though remote) reasons where I can get hurt.

Last edited:
My concern would be that they would probably get (I'm guessing) my IP address and the IP of the site that I was on when the crash happened. Not all that serious as you point out and not worse than the fact that UG has my IP (I'm not guessing) - but I see no reason that benefits me to send it out, and possible (even though remote) reasons where I can get hurt.
Well, I was not on UG when it crashed, I was on my Hotmail account. Hotmail is generic enough to not be a worry but more worried about my content then anything else.

In any case, regards to IP logging, the govt would be able to trace you regardless, lets not have any illusions unless you are a world class hacker who knows how to redirect behind several false blinds preferably overseas.