Pistol permit

I wont answer your Q as rule against making this thread political.
Who said anything about having it loaded in nightstands ?
I can slide in a magazine stored nearby a lot faster than I can get to one of my long guns and as these are not loaded via a detachable magazine, to singularly load a couple of rounds into a fixed magazine.
Plus IMHO, there is nothing like the sounds of a clip being inserted and a round chambered to have an intruder decide to leave my premises (perhaps to change his underwear that he just crapped into).
I disagree with unloaded guns, let's just say you don't see / hear the intruder till they are at your bedroom door. You better be a speed loader or I hope your bedroom is 25 yards long. They will be on top of you before you even look at the night stand. An unloaded gun is a paperweight. IMHO

I can slide in a magazine stored nearby a lot faster than I can get to one of my long guns and as these are not loaded via a detachable magazine, to singularly load a couple of rounds into a fixed magazine.
Plus IMHO, there is nothing like the sounds of a clip being inserted and a round chambered to have an intruder decide to leave my premises (perhaps to change his underwear that he just crapped into).
they have a lot of snazzy products out there now with quick release safes using biometric locks that are slim enough to sit in a nightstand.

Same goes for safes that can be attached to your car.

def worth your time to file an application.

Under the radar social media accounts don’t count as long as you didn’t use your real name. Even then I doubt they would be digging unless there was a reason. The whole permit process is a very slow one. And sometimes the people you’re dealing with make you feel like shit in the process. This is not uncommon so don’t take it personally. And people I’ve spoken to in the know don’t seem to know 100% what’s what just yet. The personal in the Permit division are pissed off and stressed. They have to do three times the amount of work now. Definitely get your permit though if you can. I don’t walk out of my home without carrying my gun ever. Of course it helps that I have a full carry.

Proceeding with the application, PD detectives will run your NYSID (New York State identification number) to see if you’ve ever been collared or EDP’d (sent to the hospital unwillingly for psych evaluation. Along with checking your client ID (drivers license number). Hopefully you’ve never been a 511 (had your drivers license suspended). If you did then you’ll have some “splaining” to do.

You’ll need three people to use as good conduct references. Obviously make sure you trust them.

Basically, they’re looking to weed out crazy people, perps and applicants that have perp and/or EDP family members who live with them in the household that might have access to your firearm. When they run your NYSID, they can see any history you’ve had with the police department, including radio runs and 911 calls. Any DV (domestic violence) calls would flag you.

Back in the day, the running joke with my buddies would be: “ Hey, I heard you did so-and-so. You used protection, right?” My answer: I sure did like I always do had my gun right on the nightstand.

The best home defense weapon is a pump action shot gun. There is no better deterrent then the sound of you chambering a round in a shotgun.
Add the fact that it’s easier for the novice or unpracticed shooter to hit their target.
I stack my rounds first round is a slug since you will typically have time to aim, followed by buckshot.
A shot gun also has a lower penetration compared to a large pistol round.
I have the shot gun mounted via magnet plates with a combination trigger lock.
I also keep a 9mm or 45 in my nightstand in a custom biometric locked hidden compartment.
If you have kids or visitors in your house, please be smart and have all firearms protected with a legit firearm safe. I seen kids as young as 5 years old load and cock a gun.
They all learn how via video games and nerf guns at a very early age.
I believe in teaching them gun safety extremely young don’t make it forbidden fruit.
My kids always know to never touch nor talk about them to anyone. They understand how real and dangerous they can be.
As for the license go for full carry, don’t settle for to and from target range or hunting that is an old dead way to limit citizens from carrying.
They are not digging deep via social media and I agree most of the current laws will be adjusted shortly and even more after law suits are filed.
NYS is a difficult state with No Guns zones, (sensitive locations) etc..
The safe course with live fire training is probably the only good idea.
Firing a fire arm is a regression skill, you need to practice often. Use it or loss it is true for accuracy and safety.

Correction my dear Genius there’s nothing like the sound of a shotgun pumping. And you won’t have to worry about rotating your clips from sitting loaded all the time.

..I believe in teaching them gun safety extremely young don’t make it forbidden fruit.
My kids always know to never touch nor talk about them to anyone. They understand how real and dangerous they can be....
My father was a NYC cop and he taught us very young about gun safety since he had a gun in the house.
I think teaching about gun safety is probably one of the better ideas for a gun permit because of what I've seen (not personally) how even a hunter killed his friend accidentally. A lot of people who never owned a gun probably have no idea of the basics even if it seems like common sense.

The best home defense weapon is a pump action shot gun. There is no better deterrent then the sound of you chambering a round in a shotgun.
But the shotgun I have is in the closet. It doesn't fit in the drawer in my nightstand even though it has a short barrel.
the long rifle is not applicable to home defense as the bullet would go thru anything aimed at in the house, exiting the walls and perhaps affecting my neighbors.
Add the fact that it’s easier for the novice or unpracticed shooter to hit their target..
I am not a novice at aiming a weapon while under stress and I have no lack of experience at using weapon at an animal or (although very long ago) a human target.
I stack my rounds first round is a slug since you will typically have time to aim, followed by buckshot.........
Great minds think exactly alike. You left out that the buckshot should be OO — unless of course you are aiming at birds in which case forget the slug and size 4 is applicable.

But we aren't talking about birds are we.

billyS

Reign of Terror
But the shotgun I have is in the closet. It doesn't fit in the drawer in my nightstand even though it has a short barrel.
the long rifle is not applicable to home defense as the bullet would go thru anything aimed at in the house, exiting the walls and perhaps affecting my neighbors.
I am not a novice at aiming a weapon while under stress and I have no lack of experience at using weapon at an animal or (although very long ago) a human target.
Great minds think exactly alike. You left out that the buckshot should be OO — unless of course you are aiming at birds in which case forget the slug and size 4 is applicable.

But we aren't talking about birds are we.
Tactical shotgun gun under the bed?
One in the chamber, four in the magazine?

Have you considered a safe room or armored bedroom door? The best defense is a good offense.
I would consider armored doors and safe rooms defense, not offense. Offense is moving forward taking the fight to them. IMHO. But also depends on the persons age and personality, sitting safely could be more beneficial than being on the move.

@genius, I completely agree on the purchase of a hand gun.
Getting a License (It’s not a permit but a license.) is getting more difficult and expensive every year.
Unfortunately like everything else it’s who you know not what you know.
I am friends with a few P.O. that work in the pistol division. They are told to discourage and delay all license request.
A friend recently went on his own and was told he would have to wait 5 months for his finger printing and anywhere from 6 to 12 months to receive his license.
A phone call was made and he was finger printed the same day, and his license a few months later.
Granted he has a lifelong spotless record.
I would tell every American citizen that is mentally sane and meets all the mental and physical requirements to own a weapon, and to obtain a carry license.
You need 4 references but none can work for or be related to law enforcement.
I highly recommend getting at lease 3 of those reference from gun owners.
Once you become someone’s reference you are linked to them for life, so be strict regarding giving your recommendation.
I would then recommend a revolver along with a 9mm and larger either 40 or 45
My daily carry is a Sig P365 or Glock 19 but I own a few dozen handguns and practice shooting them regularly.
It is always better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6.
Good luck and be SAFE.

@genius, I completely agree on the purchase of a hand gun.
Getting a License (It’s not a permit but a license.) is getting more difficult and expensive every year.
Unfortunately like everything else it’s who you know not what you know.
I am friends with a few P.O. that work in the pistol division. They are told to discourage and delay all license request.
A friend recently went on his own and was told he would have to wait 5 months for his finger printing and anywhere from 6 to 12 months to receive his license.
A phone call was made and he was finger printed the same day, and his license a few months later.
Granted he has a lifelong spotless record.
I would tell every American citizen that is mentally sane and meets all the mental and physical requirements to own a weapon, and to obtain a carry license.
You need 4 references but none can work for or be related to law enforcement.
I highly recommend getting at lease 3 of those reference from gun owners.
Once you become someone’s reference you are linked to them for life, so be strict regarding giving your recommendation.
I would then recommend a revolver along with a 9mm and larger either 40 or 45
My daily carry is a Sig P365 or Glock 19 but I own a few dozen handguns and practice shooting them regularly.
It is always better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6.
Good luck and be SAFE.
So when you monger are you packing?

Tactical shotgun gun under the bed?
One in the chamber, four in the magazine?
My SO would not be happy with that idea and I actually dont blame her. There may be an instance when I am not home and she would need to have access to a weapon and a shotgun doesnt do it for her but she would be perfectly happy with a pistol within reach. The magazine can be easily hidden nearby and easy to slide into the pistol.

I see no need for a license as I don't intend to have the pistol with me outside my home except when I am on my way to or from a 24hr range to practice (year right, that's why I would have it with me at some weird hour.:rolleyes:.

@billyS I do not think it is a good idea to have a loaded and chambered weapon in the house.

@TheRicker I have no problem with being on the offense.

My SO would not be happy with that idea and I actually dont blame her. There may be an instance when I am not home and she would need to have access to a weapon and a shotgun doesnt do it for her but she would be perfectly happy with a pistol within reach. The magazine can be easily hidden nearby and easy to slide into the pistol.

I see no need for a license as I don't intend to have the pistol with me outside my home except when I am on my way to or from a 24hr range to practice (year right, that's why I would have it with me at some weird hour.:rolleyes:.

@billyS I do not think it is a good idea to have a loaded and chambered weapon in the house.

you need a license just to hold a pistol in NYS, not just to own it or even carry it. By law you couldn’t be at a range with me and shoot my handgun without a license

If you don't have young kids in the house regularly and you plan on keeping the gun unloaded, you are already on the defense.

Also you need a minimum of a target license/ permit to purchase a handgun.

I keep seeing that scene in Goodfellas when Henry wakes up and Karen is on top. You guys With wives are brave to keep a gun in your house. Good luck

The application process is tedious but well worth it. If you are in Nassau the time to get a fingerprint date is 8 months out from time of submittal. Suffolk forget about it, it's two years out..NYC not sure how the process works. I've helped many w their Nassau county permits doing the paper work for my friends. I'm here to answer whatever questions you have.

The social media accounts are just to see if you are plotting a jihad against the world or something. They won't know accounts like this unless you give them up. They mostly check for big accounts like Instagram or Facebook. Though they can't ask for passwords.

As for the pistol by the nightstand I use a Fas1safe which is mounted to my bedframe. It has no markings for a combination but either you know how to open it or use a key. If someone comes into my house, it will take less than 10 seconds for me to open this safe and go. It's a well built safe but pricey.

The application process is tedious but well worth it. If you are in Nassau the time to get a fingerprint date is 8 months out from time of submittal. Suffolk forget about it, it's two years out..NYC not sure how the process works. I've helped many w their Nassau county permits doing the paper work for my friends. I'm here to answer whatever questions you have.

The social media accounts are just to see if you are plotting a jihad against the world or something. They won't know accounts like this unless you give them up. They mostly check for big accounts like Instagram or Facebook. Though they can't ask for passwords.

As for the pistol by the nightstand I use a Fas1safe which is mounted to my bedframe. It has no markings for a combination but either you know how to open it or use a key. If someone comes into my house, it will take less than 10 seconds for me to open this safe and go. It's a well built safe but pricey.
If you're not pressure testing yourself, you don't really know how quickly you can do things.