Parmesan Cheese - not always Parmesan, not even always cheese (and other gourmet gossip)

While I don't dispute the definitions you cited, they don't account for colloquialisms. Read the article in the link that Slinky posted. It out-geniuses your research.

While I don't dispute the definitions you cited, they don't account for colloquialisms. Read the article in the link that Slinky posted. It out-geniuses your research.
Although I didn't post colloquialisms they were also in the dictionary definitions, e.g., 2 a : something additional or unexpected that is pleasing or valuable <with expenses now paid, future money is pure gravy.
That said, I did read slinky's link (and there are many other similar articles on the web) but that doesn't change that the use of a term defined in standard English "fat and juices that drip from cooking meat" to refer something that is not.

My people in Brooklyn and Staten Island referred to sauce as gravy.
Ah yes, but they are from Brooklyn and Staten Island. Most cultivated people try not to associate with people from Brooklyn and Staten Island ( or people you would meet in bowling alleys).

That said, explains why in my many years on this earth that I have never heard of tomato gravy as I don't know anyone from those places (or perhaps I do but they keep it quiet).;)

Ah yes, but they are from Brooklyn and Staten Island. Most cultivated people try not to associate with people from Brooklyn and Staten Island ( or people you would meet in bowling alleys).

That said, explains why in my many years on this earth that I have never heard of tomato gravy as I don't know anyone from those places (or perhaps I do but they keep it quiet).;)
Because you are from Da Bronx.

Because you are from Da Bronx.
Or if you are in Kansas City and were looking for "NY-style hand-tossed pizzas" (I don't know why anyone would want to be there - but I digress ) you would call it d'bronx.

ps. the NY-style in the same sentence with hand-tossed in "NY-style hand-tossed pizzas" is obviously redundant.

I bought a jar of LI gravy at Stew's today. On sale for $4.99. Can't wait to try it out on Wednesday 'cause that's Prince Spaghetti Day. (And don't go disuputin' that, too.)

I bought a jar of LI gravy at Stew's today. On sale for $4.99. Can't wait to try it out on Wednesday 'cause that's Prince Spaghetti Day. (And don't go disuputin' that, too.)
I forgot to post my review of this sauce/gravy. I tried it and found it satisfactory in taste, but on the thinner-watery side in texture. Not worth the money IMHO and would not try it again.

Proof that it's called gravy 'casue if it's good enough for POTUS, it's good enough for me.:p

https://www.facebook.com/JerseyItalianGravy/

NOTE: Pic was removed from site. I guess they had to pull the Prez endorsement.
Can we get this in Long Island? Italian is my least favorite food no offense to anyone on here but I figure if I find the right type of sauce it can help out the spaghetti and pasta dishes I make I think?

Can we get this in Long Island? Italian is my least favorite food no offense to anyone on here but I figure if I find the right type of sauce it can help out the spaghetti and pasta dishes I make I think?
Why would you think that not liking a certain type of ethnic food would offend anyone? I don't care for raw seal blubber but I'm sure that doesn't affect any of UG mongers who happen to be eskimo.

Anyway, best to get Rao's sauce for a quick and easy pasta dinner instaed of the "thinner watery" stuff. Best to get smallest jar you can and freeze remainder as doesn't keep forever in the fridge.

I used to make my own sauce from scratch , was better than the jarred stuff IMHO, but RAO's is close enough for me for a fast meal.

Just thought certain ethnicity might not like if u don't like their food all this race talk recently just wanted to put the waiver out there did not want to offend but wanted to know if there was anything I could do to spruce up my cooking and dishes.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Not exactly on topic but I think Farmingdale Meat market was mentioned in this thread, so...

The trend of junk fish prices rising because foodie chefs started using them has now passed on to beef. First it was things like Orange Roughy (an extremely ugly fish which became so popular it almost endangered the species), Monk fish, Skate and Peekytoe crab. Today I saw Farmingdale Meat Market was having a sale where Porterhouse and Ribeye were $14.98 per pound and Hanger was $13.98 a pound. The reason for buying Hanger Steak was always that it was a flavorful CHEAP cut. Why would anyone buy a Hanger when Porterhouse or Ribeye were only $1 more? Only because they are trendy now and people who really don't know beef want to feel that way so they they will overpay for a cheap cut.

Anyway, best to get Rao's sauce for a quick and easy pasta dinner instaed of the "thinner watery" stuff. Best to get smallest jar you can and freeze remainder as doesn't keep forever in the fridge.
http://www.stewleonards.com/specials/
WEEKLY SPECIALS
Effective 8/31/16 through 9/6/16
JUMBO 32 OZ.
RAO’S Marinara Sauce - $5.99 ea. SAVE $2
Stew Leonard's opened their first Long Island location on Wednesday, Jan. 20 in Farmingdale.