Parmesan Cheese - not always Parmesan, not even always cheese (and other gourmet gossip)

Go with the unsalted Mizzarella.
You can always ask them for a taste.
I purchased unsalted by mistake once. Adding salt later just wasn't as good (for me anyway) as having a properly salted cheese.
I've never had an overly salted mozzarella so I don't bother with asking for a taste.

Fairway Market has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in an effort to stay afloat in a very competitive upscale food segment. Several very interesting articles from WSJ and Motley Fool, among others, about this market segment if you search on 'Fairway bankruptcy.'

Rao's was on sale again this week at Stew's. Tried it one time when my uncle made sauce for us. Real good but not sure it's worth six times what you can get some others like Francesco Rinaldi for. I've been loyal to FR ever since I won a camera for my dad in one of their contests.

Rao's was on sale again this week at Stew's. Tried it one time when my uncle made sauce for us. Real good but not sure it's worth six times what you can get some others like Francesco Rinaldi for. I've been loyal to FR ever since I won a camera for my dad in one of their contests.
Rao's ingredients:
Imported italian tomatoes, imported olive oil, fresh onions, fresh basil, salt, fresh garlic, black pepper and oregano.

Francesco Rinaldi ingredients:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste, Citric Acid), Sugar, Soybean Oil, Salt, Dried Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Imported Pecorino Romano Cheese (Sheep'S Milk Rennet, Salt), Spices, Dried Garlic.

When I used to make my own sauce from my Italian grandmother's recipe I never used Citric Acid, Sugar, Soybean Oil, dried onion, dried garlic and spices (a.k.a. MSG). Rao's is pretty close to what I used to make - the $2 jarred stuff isn't. To each his own I guess.

Gravy. Your granny would've called it gravy, like every other older generation Italian did.
Not every one did as mine did not call it gravy and although my grandfather got his US citizenship after fighting in WWI, she kept her Italian citizenship.
Anyway, I think sauce is a more accurate term as it derives from the Italian word “salsa” — meaning a topping.

Gravy. Your granny would've called it gravy, like every other older generation Italian did.
My grandparents were off the boat from naples. Never called it gravy. He (grandfather) always said that was a Sicilian thing. But I've heard non Sicilians use it. They always used sauce also.

My grandparents were born in Italy from around the Naples area, lived in the Bronx during early to mid 1900's and used the term sauce to describe the tomato based stuff we ladled onto spaghetti, ziti or ravioli and topped off with freshly grated cheese. A special treat was when the sauce was cooking to dump in squid stuffed with an egg stuffing or crabs or if those were out of season, meatballs and sausage.

This week on UG is the 1st time in my life I ever heard of tomato sauce referred to as gravy.

The expression for "gravy" in Italian is sugo d'arrosto, which is literally "juice of a roast"
This is consistent with the American dictionary meanings I just looked up. It is also consistent with the gravy made from the drippings of the turkey at Thanksgiving.

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gravy
Merriam‑Webster
1 : a sauce made from the thickened and seasoned juices of cooked meat.

www.dictionary.com/browse/gravy

the fat and juices that drip from cooking meat, often thickened, seasoned, flavored, etc., and used as a sauce for meat, potatoes, rice, etc.