Parking

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
With the building boom anywhere near NYC, you've got 2 things happening at the same time:

1) more people with more cars are being crammed into the same area,
2) a lot of former parking lots are becoming building lots (and then buildings filled with people and their cars).

What's going to happen to parking lots, prices of parking, onstreet parking, etc.?

eventually, some kind of peak-time pricing will have to come into play and they'll have to extend it to the nabes just outside manhattan. i've had a store in wmsburg for the past 6 years, lived there my whole life. just since i've opened, parking went from anywhere i wanted to for-fucking-getaboutit!!! spots in lots are 100 to 200 a month and hundreds of new condos are still going up. shit, they may have to issue permits to park on the street soon.

slinkybender said:
With the building boom anywhere near NYC, you've got 2 things happening at the same time:

1) more people with more cars are being crammed into the same area,
2) a lot of former parking lots are becoming building lots (and then buildings filled with people and their cars).

What's going to happen to parking lots, prices of parking, onstreet parking, etc.?
The solution to this problem is to make the sale of parking space competitive with the sale of business and residential rental space.The only way I know of to get more parking spaces is to build up. This will cost.

Last edited:
almost every above ground parking lot around 6th ave and 27-31st , is now a high rise or in progress. Ive go into this are quite frequently, and parking has become a fucking nightmare.
Any lot, for 2 hours is 21-24 bucks with tax. Add the tolls of what, 7-9 bucks, and now Gasoline, with an average car, it cost close to 50 bucks for someone from the burbs to just drive in and park for an hour and a half.

What needs to be done, is they have to start building a couple of mega garages, 40 stories tall, 70 stories tall. Putting small lots under the buildings arent going to cut it, not to mention grid lock.
I guess as long as they can get millions for one bedroom condos, they arent going to put up parking lots any time in the next 1000 years.

justme

homo economicus
BMM's right. From what you describe it seems like it's a no brainer to tear down lots from a game theoretic marketplace POV.

Probably will need a regulatory scheme to fix.

(All new buildings must have an associated garage that accomodates %125 of the building's parking needs, etc.)

Any thought or hope for improved parking in Manhattan and parts of the boros is a futile and wasted effort. In more than the past 50 years, there has never been any serious effort on the part of the city fathers to improve parking either from an availabiliy or cost point of view.

The politicians in power have their parking priveleges and really don't care about others and even after they leave power will maintain some residue of that privelege. Residents of Manhattan (certainly almost all those that live below 96th street) either live in a building that has parking (for a steep price) or learn to live without a car. The real estate developers are only interested in maximizing their profits and are more than ready to help fill a politicians re-election coffers and the first sight of that politicians open palm. Finally, income from parking violations is a significant part of the city's income. The city really wants to maximize that income not lose income by making parking more available. Also, parking violators and non-violators alike, are not and never will be a vocal political voice. When was the last time there was a rally at city hall by people demanding better parking in the city?

the real hidden cost is when the monkeys who park your car in the $600/mo garage chip and scratch up your painted bumpers. my bentley needs to have the bumpers repainted every 12 months. needless to say this gets deducted from my hooing budget.

Parking is one thing, you are going to have trouble finding a gas station in Manhattan. They keep tearing them down and building high risers. Case in point Houston Street and the Bowery. You'd better know where the gas stations are located before you run out of gas.

BigMadM said:
...Any lot, for 2 hours is 21-24 bucks with tax....
I see another use for undocumented aliens - hire them, have them drive your car to some place in town where they can hang out and come back later when you need your car back.

genius said:
I see another use for undocumented aliens - hire them, have them drive your car to some place in town where they can hang out and come back later when you need your car back.
Yea, that'll work

Now we know how you got your handle.

How many people here think that if you handed your car over to an illegal an undocumented alien, a car that is worth more that he can earn in 2 or 3 years of hard, unpleasant labor, that you would ever see that automobile again? It's likely that car will wind-up parked in Honduras, El Salvadore or perhaps Equador.

Last edited:
daengman said:
Yea, that'll work

Now we know how you got your handle.

How many people here think that if you handed your car over to an illegal an undocumented alien, a car that is worth more that he can earn in 2 or 3 years of hard, unpleasant labor, that you would ever see that automobile again? It's likely that car will wind-up parked in Honduras, El Salvadore or perhaps Equador.
IT WAS A JOKE!

I find it odd that people in who visit NYC pay 17-22 dollars an hour for parking and think nothing of parking there for 4-5 hours even longer but go crying like a raped ape over 3 dollar gas.

Daddycool said:
I find it odd that people in who visit NYC pay 17-22 dollars an hour for parking and think nothing of parking there for 4-5 hours even longer but go crying like a raped ape over 3 dollar gas.
Its all psychological (IMHO). If they paid 8-10 dollars last year and this year it went up to 17-22 there might also be a cry to the local pols to do something. Maybe there would then be some sort of price regulation; that would just about guarantee the conversion of the remaining lots into buildings or other more profitable uses.

the government will want to get in on this even further...
In addition to already heavily taxing parking.... Congestion charges?

Nobody thought it would work in London either.

genius said:

youre idea is not as far fetched or a joke as you intended.

In my buisiness life, I deal with many small jobbers, wholesalers etc.

Im hearing more and more tell me that they now have drivers.
Im not saying undocumented aliens, but 8-10 dollar an hour drivers, cause if they have to see 10-15 accounts a day, the cost of parking, mainly in manhattan is ridiculous.
Meters in busy areas, are 50cent to 1 dollar an hour and then, you first have to drive around to find one. Try finding a parking space in Williamsburg, Forest hills, and get to your accounts. IMpossible. with a driver, you can let him sit at a pump for 30 minutes, move on to next account.
Its becoming something alot of salespeople are doing, or at least when they visit manhattan, if then need their vehicle.

Last edited: