On the topic of preferred, aka grandfathered, session rates...

pokler

Power Bottom
I am not talking about loyalty though. Come on folks... If it's me and I am not getting what I am actually talking about across I will try harder, but give me a break and meet me halfway.

Again, NOT NOT NOT talking about clients who do give more, thus that is why they get more. That is quid pro quo. I am talking ONLY She those who get a break because they saw a client once on the right side of an arbitrary calendar date.
Ok so maybe the provider likes the guy or he fucks her better than most clients. It makes perfect sense that she may cut him a break.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I am not talking about loyalty though. Come on folks... If it's me and I am not getting what I am actually talking about across I will try harder, but give me a break and meet me halfway.

Again, NOT NOT NOT talking about clients who do give more, thus that is why they get more. That is quid pro quo. I am talking ONLY those who get a break because they saw a client once on the right side of an arbitrary calendar date.
Okay, I think I gotcha.

Here is a hypothetical situation I think you are talking about, and in this situation I'm not billyS, just an average john with no connection to UG.

I see Penelope once in December of 2005 and she charges me $250 hr.
Session is non descrip and I go back to my old haunts for two years.

In January of 2008 Penelope decides with all her good reviews on UG she is worth more so she raises her hour to $275.

I decided I want to see her again and you decide you want to see her for the first time.

We both set up an appointment in early February of 2008.

On the phone I balk at $275 and remind her I saw her once about two years ago and only paid $250. She says okay then since I saw her at $250 then that's what I will pay.

On your booking call a week later after I see her for $250 and review said session, you say you know she only used to charge $250, and in gave that rate to a UG member you want the same $250 rate.

She says no her rates are now $275 as of January first and that's what you as a first time customer must pay.

Did I get it right?

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist

Again, NOT NOT NOT talking about clients who do give more, thus that is why they get more. That is quid pro quo. I am talking ONLY those who get a break because they saw a client once on the right side of an arbitrary calendar date.
Sorry I misunderstood you. Idk the answer to that question. I didn’t realize that was a thing.

Okay, I think I gotcha.

Here is a hypothetical situation I think you are talking about, and in this situation I'm not billyS, just an average john with no connection to UG.

I see Penelope once in December of 2005 and she charges me $250 hr.
Session is non descrip and I go back to my old haunts for two years.

In January of 2008 Penelope decides with all her good reviews on UG she is worth more so she raises her hour to $275.

I decided I want to see her again and you decide you want to see her for the first time.

We both set up an appointment in early February of 2008.

On the phone I balk at $275 and remind her I saw her once about two years ago and only paid $250. She says okay then since I saw her at $250 then that's what I will pay.

On your booking call a week later after I see her for $250 and review said session, you say you know she only used to charge $250, and in gave that rate to a UG member you want the same $250 rate.

She says no her rates are now $275 as of January first and that's what you as a first time customer must pay.

Did I get it right?

Yes, you've got what I was driving at - but you could make it two months instead of two years, same-same. Two clients, both very similar, only difference is one has seen her once before she changed her rate.

I'm not going to balk to the provider about it though. I'd just wish her well but not contract with her if I know she is charging me more than she charges someone else who isn't bringing her anything more than I bring to the table.

I was curious as to if anyone else feels the same [actually, I know they do because I have heard clients tell me as much many, many times over the long period I have been doing this and talking about it on these boards.

I also was curious if providers ever considered the possibility clients sharing information on these boards know about it and it might affect their decision making, and if they didn't would knowing about it cause them to think differently?

So I asked. :cool:

Sorry I misunderstood you. Idk the answer to that question. I didn’t realize that was a thing.
You weren't alone. I don't know why I wasn't getting what I was asking about across, but apparently I wasn't.

Yes, it is a thing. It gets talked about from time to time.

Most of the time clients find out sharing information: Monger #1, "What do you think about [insert provider name]? Monger #2, "She is great. #1, "I went and saw her a couple of days back and I agree. I paid $400 for the hour." #2. Yeah. I saw her last week and paid $300, but that is because I saw her once before she raised her rates and I am grandfathered in at the old rate for now."

Sometimes they find out because the providers themselves advertise it. I have seen it two ways, the second more curious than the first.

1) "I am raising my prices [insert date]. Come see me before the price raise. After the price raise old clients will be grandfathered at old rate. New clients pay new rate.

2) "Come see me and get yourself grandfathered in at the old rate before I raise my prices."

A few were doing it only a bit back when coming out of the pandemic hiatus. Advertising that they were coming back at new rates but would charge the old rate, at least for a time, to clients who had seen them pre-pandemic. It didn't matter if they had seen them once or ten times. {scratching head}

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
You weren't alone. I don't know why I wasn't getting what I was asking about across, but apparently I wasn't.

Yes, it is a thing. It gets talked about from time to time.

Most of the time clients find out sharing information: Monger #1, "What do you think about [insert provider name]? Monger #2, "She is great. #1, "I went and saw her a couple of days back and I agree. I paid $400 for the hour." #2. Yeah. I saw her last week and paid $300, but that is because I saw her once before she raised her rates and I am grandfathered in at the old rate for now."

Sometimes they find out because the providers themselves advertise it. I have seen it two ways, the second more curious than the first.

1) "I am raising my prices [insert date]. Come see me before the price raise. After the price raise old clients will be grandfathered at old rate. New clients pay new rate.

2) "Come see me and get yourself grandfathered in at the old rate before I raise my prices."

A few were doing it only a bit back when coming out of the pandemic hiatus. Advertising that they were coming back at new rates but would charge the old rate, at least for a time, to clients who had seen them pre-pandemic. It didn't matter if they had seen them once or ten times. {scratching head}
I think It would be a little unfair to say… I saw you in December when my rate was 300… but in January I raised my rate to 400… Now it’s February so now you need to pay the new rate… but idk, it’s complicated I suppose. This business allows for a lot of different judgment calls. Sometimes it’s judgment based on time, or personality, or enjoyment… there could be a number of factors. Also, I feel like there’s a lot more girls WITHOUT business smarts than there is with… I always find it helpful to discuss business and business logistics with people so I can make smarter business decisions. Mongers don’t realize how much their guidance can help in situations like this. Rather than wish her well, try to explain your thoughts without seeking for her to discount your rate. She’s likely to raise monger #1’s rates, rather than lower yours. Which in the long run would help her. And it gives her good client perspective. Approaching the situation with respectful dialogue always helps.

Yes, you've got what I was driving at - but you could make it two months instead of two years, same-same. Two clients, both very similar, only difference is one has seen her once before she changed her rate.

I'm not going to balk to the provider about it though. I'd just wish her well but not contract with her if I know she is charging me more than she charges someone else who isn't bringing her anything more than I bring to the table.

I was curious as to if anyone else feels the same [actually, I know they do because I have heard clients tell me as much many, many times over the long period I have been doing this and talking about it on these boards.

I also was curious if providers ever considered the possibility clients sharing information on these boards know about it and it might affect their decision making, and if they didn't would knowing about it cause them to think differently?

So I asked. :cool:
You spend a lot of time worrying about others. That’s a good way to stay unhappy.

I haven't seen Sophia - probably because I won't go through her screening process. That's her process that I respect and my choice. Likewise, as she is a service provider - she gets to choose what she charges. We get to choose if we want to see her at that rate. Like a bartender that chooses to give a buyback, she might have a different arrangement with a client she values. Her choice. If she does not with you, her choice and you get to choose if you want to see her for that price. It just seems that simple.

I haven't seen Sophia - probably because I won't go through her screening process. That's her process that I respect and my choice. Likewise, as she is a service provider - she gets to choose what she charges. We get to choose if we want to see her at that rate. Like a bartender that chooses to give a buyback, she might have a different arrangement with a client she values. Her choice. If she does not with you, her choice and you get to choose if you want to see her for that price. It just seems that simple.
end of thread style post

You spend a lot of time worrying about others. That’s a good way to stay unhappy.
I don't "worry" about "others".

This is a board about "this thing of ours" and how it works. It's well within the scoop of what gets talked about here, and I was curious... so I asked.

I think It would be a little unfair to say… I saw you in December when my rate was 300… but in January I raised my rate to 400… Now it’s February so now you need to pay the new rate… but idk, it’s complicated I suppose. This business allows for a lot of different judgment calls. Sometimes it’s judgment based on time, or personality, or enjoyment… there could be a number of factors. Also, I feel like there’s a lot more girls WITHOUT business smarts than there is with… I always find it helpful to discuss business and business logistics with people so I can make smarter business decisions. Mongers don’t realize how much their guidance can help in situations like this. Rather than wish her well, try to explain your thoughts without seeking for her to discount your rate. She’s likely to raise monger #1’s rates, rather than lower yours. Which in the long run would help her. And it gives her good client perspective. Approaching the situation with respectful dialogue always helps.

I was curious, so I asked, and in the asking figured it might very well do precisely what you are suggesting above.

Anything I delve into around here, or elsewhere on boards like these, has everything to do with either: !) figuring if I am curious about something others might be as well, or 2) a topic that in my practical experience is worth bringing up because it might allow folks to get over hurdles that have tripped up others. [Two ways to learn, and only two ways to learn... The "punch and learn method", where one learns to duck by getting punched in the head until they figure out how to duck, or the "learn by osmosis" method where one learns to duck by watching, or talking to/with, others who got punched in the head. The second way hurts much less. ;)]

wishing well...

Only problem is its back to presuming I don't see it that way, when I have stated I do. I was simply curious as to why folks go this route when, to me, it seems counter productive as a marketing strategy. Given that most purchasers of ANY service aren't apt to want to pay more for the same thing they know someone else is paying less for. That is pretty much a given.

Now what is puzzling me is why folks seem to be getting worked up over the question? :D

You’re a member emeritus here. Figured you would have known the answer to that one.
I don't know everything there is to know. Never claimed I did. Never will.

Always can learn. Always curious. Always will ask as I have gotten even less inhibited about doing so as I have gotten older [and I wasn't that inhibited to start with]. :cool: