Ode to My Cat

You had wandered into an area of limits to strays. Invading man’s space, you looked for food, and shelter. Eluding capture for two weeks until hunger and trust did you in. I remember the first time I saw you. The worker who caught you held up the trap. Your body was elongated, stretching the full length of the trap not designed to hold cats. As I got closer, I could not believe how filthy you were. Fur was matted, and in some was non-existent. Big patches were missing, and closer inspection reveled fleas walking all over. Your white paws were black, and you looked terrified. My first thought was, “That not a cat”. I raised my hand, and extended the index finger between the cage bars. Your head turned toward my finger, and instead of shirking away, you nuzzled the finger tip with your nose, and meowed. I knew right then, you should be saved.

The shelter said you were a “status 3” un-adoptable, and would be put down. You were too old. No one wanted an adult cat. You needed medical attention and the shelter does not treat. I decided to adopt. Took you to a vet, and got treatment for you ailments, and brought you home.

The first few days you found hiding spots and stayed invisible. Nobody would have guessed a cat was living in the apartment. Yes, the clues were there; food was eaten, water was drunk, and waste was deposited in the littler box. You were aloof. One night I was lying on the couch, you came out of hiding. Walking over to the couch, you looked up, and jumped on my lap. You pawed, and circled, finally curling into a ball; you made your-self comfortable on my lap. I started to pet you, and deep, contented purr began to emanate from inside you. I remember thinking, you and I would be buddies for a log time.

That was just over ten years ago. You were my first pet, and no one could have asked for a better one. I will miss your playful demeanor, curious stares, affectionate attitude, and quirky personality. The way you would grab my hand, and curl into ball pulling may hand to your chest. The way you would roll on your back, and want the stomach rubbed. How you would reach out and gently touch my face with your paws to wake me up to eat. I will miss waking up in the middle of the night, and finding you sleeping between my legs, arms or lying on my pillow purring loudly. The way you always slept on my cloths. You would go into a deep sleep and start to snore loudly. You were always happy. I would come home from work and you would greet me at the door. When awaken you would stretch out with your paws, reaching to touch my hand, as if you were saying hello. Everyone who you met instantly liked you. Lastly I will miss petting you, my big, beautiful, tuxedo cat.

Ten years, sounds long when starting, but short in the end. All you ever wanted was some love, attention, food, and warm body to lie next by. I hope I was a good owner.

Madison Found August 19th, adopted, August 21, 1996, past January 15, 2006.

Great ode to the cat who society cast away and nobody wanted. Sometimes the greatest treasures in life are right under our fingers. I'm sure your friend appreciated all you did for him right to the end. And I sure you still hear that familiar meow late at night when the apartment is dark and peaceful and quiet...

My deepest condolences. I have a few former strays and there is nothing greater than giving them a second chance, they are such wonderful, grateful creatures. Please know you gave him a wonderful life he may never have had.

Last edited:
Despite of my screename/handle, I love cats. From one cat owner (almost all of my cats have been strays or from the pound) to another, my heart goes out to you.

On the other hand, I have nothing but disgust for those who either return pets to the over-priced mall pet shop or simply abandon them to the streets just because these pets are no longer small and cute or that they've realized that unlike a stuff animal, you actually need to take care of them (i.e., feed, groom and clean up after them).

*Squeak*

Last edited:
On the other hand, I have nothing but disgust for those who either return pets to the over-priced mall pet shop or simply abandon them to the streets just because these pets are no longer small and cute or that they've realized that unlike a stuff animal, you actually need to take care of them (i.e., feed, groom and clean up after them).
Amen.

Despite of my screename/handle, I love cats. From one cat owner (almost all of my cats have been strays or from the pound) to another, my heart goes out to you.

*Squeak*
I plan on getting another cat. I will give it some time, and I will go to shelter.

Also, everyone thanks for not pointing out my error. I put the year as 2006, it was 2007.

I am so sorry about your cat. We last ours Jan 2004. He passed in his sleep.

I cried like a baby.

They are great friends, even though they only want us when they are hungry,or want to go outside and of course when we are ready for bed they are laying in our spot like they bought the damn thing!!

But seriously. I would wait to get another cat. We finally for our first kitten 3 years after Corey passed and I see myself comparing Fiona ( the kitten) to him, but I have to keep telling myself shes not him, shes her own lil self...

But I guess thats just normal when you loss perfection..

My cat died last September. I have two others, but he was special (he was 15 years old, and when I got him, he was too young to have left his mother (I had to teach him how to go to the bathroom, and bottle feed him for a week)). When I got him, I was working at home, and he spent the first 18 months of his life almost continuously next to me.

I miss him sleeping on my head. He was an incredibly loud purrer (sounded like an Allis Chalmers).

At the time he died, I'd found him on the floor having multiple heart attacks. I lay down next to him, and tried to stroke him and nuzzle him, but he would jerk and scream, and I would instinctively jerk away. I'm having a hard time forgiving myself for jerking away.

I'm not ready for another cat. I don't know if I ever will be. It won't be the same, and I miss him.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
My guy is a loner now. I feel guilty bringing in the Shih Tzu's. But, he is always first to get fed. He is always first to get treats. He is also the one who gets to sleep by my head at night.

He is deaf now, a little blind. I just don't want that day to come where he has to go. I am not prepared...

Gavy

My guy is a loner now. I feel guilty bringing in the Shih Tzu's. But, he is always first to get fed. He is always first to get treats. He is also the one who gets to sleep by my head at night.

He is deaf now, a little blind. I just don't want that day to come where he has to go. I am not prepared...

Gavy
I lost my guy two years ago, he was also blind, deaf in the last few years. I've had him since he was just slightly bigger then my hand. I felt the same way and when his time came and his health was beyond repar it was painful it was also peaceful knowing he wasn't suffering anymore.

I am so sorry about your cat. We last ours Jan 2004. He passed in his sleep.

I cried like a baby.

They are great friends, even though they only want us when they are hungry,or want to go outside and of course when we are ready for bed they are laying in our spot like they bought the damn thing!!

But seriously. I would wait to get another cat. We finally for our first kitten 3 years after Corey passed and I see myself comparing Fiona ( the kitten) to him, but I have to keep telling myself shes not him, shes her own lil self...

But I guess thats just normal when you loss perfection..

I had two cats. The second cat a took in from a lady who was alergic.
He was 4 months old. He spent 7 years with the older cat, and was never alone until now.

Getting another cat is as much for him as for me.

My roommate and buddy passed away unexpectedly at 8 3/4 years of age in July 2004. He was a tough little guy and had beaten potentially fatal illnesses twice; I thought he had 7 lives left. I miss having a feline presence in my home, but HH is dead-on: perfection is a hard act to follow. Part of me thinks about adopting, but the rest of me wonders if it's a good idea, as I know that no other cat will ever compare for me.

akm495: Take comfort in the knowledge that Madison clearly had an exceptional life, thanks to you, and it's clear that he knew that he was loved.