Notification of email

Does anyone know how to set the computer to be notified when I receive an email ? If I am in UG, surfing the web, typing a letter in word.....a noise or You've got mail when I actually receive it instead of maybe 1 hour later when I happen to check it ? I think I use Windows mail for e-mail.
Thanks

Last edited:
control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> sounds (tab) -> in the Progam Events window scroll down until you see "New Mail Notification" Click on Sounds box and select a sound.

Hey Ruff, I just tried it and it worked to the sound of tada...but only if I am in the mail program. I am doing something wrong or should I be able to hear it no matter which program I am in ?
Thanks

The sound should work if your mail program (assuming Outlook or Outlook Express) is running no matter if it's resident or in background. Try another sound selection and also check your volume setting.

The sound should work if your mail program (assuming Outlook or Outlook Express) is running no matter if it's resident or in background. Try another sound selection and also check your volume setting.
Of course Outlook or Outlook Express or any other email client must be linked to send and receive your IMAP email. Oddly enough Outlook and Outlook Express (now called Microsoft Mail in Vista) cannot send or receive email from Hotmail or MSN. Microsoft wants you to visit these web sites so that you can see their advertisements. There are other email clients such as Thunderbird, which is produced by Mozilla, the same folks who make Firefox and Eudora by Qualcomm that can.

I've tried to get the names of the incoming and outgoing servers for hotmail which is required to set up an account using a third party email client, but I've not been able to find it. If you use an MSN paid email account, you can easily set up Outlook Express to get and send MSN emails.

If you log on to Windows Live Messenger, the latest version of Windows Messenger, this will alert you to any new MSN or Hotmail email you have received, as well as any other crap Microsoft wants to tell you about. Of course you can use Live Messenger as an Instant Messenger, but does anyone use IM anymore?

If you log on to Windows Live Messenger, the latest version of Windows Messenger, this will alert you to any new MSN or Hotmail email you have received, as well as any other crap Microsoft wants to tell you about. Of course you can use Live Messenger as an Instant Messenger, but does anyone use IM anymore?
yup that's the best way to get notified once a email arrives for hotmail and msn mail

Hey Elmo,
I can download this free ? And then it overwrites over my existing windows email ?