Not Even Mentioned on UG -- New Zealand

I haven’t posted in a long, long time, and have relocated way Down Under. Since there’s no mention of NZ on this forum that I could find, I’ll give a brief rundown of the local mongering scene for anyone who may be traveling this way.

The Country

NZ is sparsely populated by US East Coast standards (4.3 million in a country the size of Colorado, but 1.6 million live in Auckland, so it’s pretty empty outside Auckland), but has stunning scenery and great opportunities for outdoor pursuits (fishing, hunting, skiing, golf, beaches, sailing, whatever). Cost of living is pretty high, since nearly everything has to be imported, but not prohibitively high. Exchange rate against the US$ has been getting worse (from a US perspective) – about NZ$ 1.15 per US$ 1.00 right now. From my perspective, it’s weird that the price of gasoline keeps falling regularly.

Everyone speaks English (with an accent, of course), and you drive on the left. There’s basically no crime to speak of, and Americans are still a bit of a novelty outside the main tourist spots. Tipping is considered strange (at bars, restaurants, AMPs, or anywhere else).

Prostitution is legal. Safe sex is universal from what I’ve seen.

Venues and Pricing

There are four main venues for prostitution – independents, brothels, AMPs, and the street scene.

Many (if not most) indies advertise on the NZ Girls website, which you can search by area, nationality, age, and available hours. Pics are generally accurate, and you can search reviews on the associated Adult Forum website (although they will NOT be as honest or informative as those on UG, they’ll at least give you an idea of whom to avoid). Prices range from $100 to $500 per hour, with $120 to $160 for 30 minutes being pretty typical. Asian ladies command lower prices in general. Latinas are rare and charge a premium. Most indies work out of their apartments or homes, or from local hotels if they’re traveling or prefer not to work from home.

Brothels tend to be located in the major cities and local towns, and can easily be found with a quick online search. They’ll have a fixed-fee time-based pricing structure (you’ll pay extra for Greek, fetishes, whatever – not for straight sex, though). You’ll usually have a choice of providers, and some of the larger places will have pics of available ladies on their websites so you can decide whether it’s worth a visit. There’s no pressure – if you walk in and don’t find someone you like, just head for the next brothel down the road. Facilities vary – some brothels are quite luxurious, while others are pretty crude – but they’re generally pretty clean and private.

AMPs are basically cut-price brothels. Most ladies are Chinese, but there are plenty of Thais, Malays, Filipinas and Vietnamese. They’re cheap ($60-$80 for 30 minutes), but will urge you out the door once you pop. Facilities tend to be very basic, and some of the locations are so public that it’s amazing that they attract customers (although many are single or travelers, so I guess they don’t care).

The street scene is limited (South Auckland, mainly) and apparently tends to be dominated by Maori or South Pacific ladies with substance-abuse issues. It’s reportedly really cheap ($20 or so), but I’ve never partaken, so can’t really comment.

Prices are generally all-inclusive (except for Greek, BDSM, fetishes – all of which are available, but not with every provider, and not for the base price), and providers will be quite honest about their limits or lack of limits.

The Providers

Most indies or working girls in brothels are referred to as NZ European – in other words, white local girls. There are quite a few Asians as well, and some of the indies are really stunning and charge much less (probably the AMP pricing structure holds down what they can charge). Local Maori or South Pacific Islander ladies are also fairly common, and seem to charge less than the white girls but more than the Asians. Providers range from 18 to 60+, and the usual age-deflation in advertising is common until it just won’t wash (at which point truth prevails and prices tumble).

Summary

NZ won’t become a sex-tourism destination because it’s too remote and too expensive compared to other alternatives. However, if business or pleasure takes you here and you want to monger, you have plenty of choices and don’t need to worry about legalities, hanging out in seedy surroundings, or outrageous prices. It’s just a service that’s there when and where you want it. Pretty refreshing, actually.

Was told by some New Zealanders that I met on vacation once that there are some parts of the country one should not travel to as the local native population isn't to friendly to foreigners. Would appreciate your take on that for I plan on going someday since the scenery and whitewater rafting is awesome.

Last edited:
Wow jyris welcome back to UG and thanks for the great, informative report! Don't know if I'll ever be able to make it there but interesting stuff sounds like a great place!

Was told by some New Zealanders that I met on vacation once that there are some parts of the country one should not travel to as the local native population isn't to friendly to foreigners. Would appreciate your take on that for I plan on going someday since the scenery and whitewater rafting is awesome.
The Maori iwi (= tribe) near Lake Waikaramoana in the Urewera Mountains (Bay of Plenty region of the North Island) has been known to hassle hunters and campers in that area, but I've been trout fishing around there with no problems whatsoever. If you're with a tour operator, it's even less likely that you'd venture into a dangerous area -- they'll know where to avoid.

There is also a bit of a gang culture (with the Mongrel Mob and Black Power being the best-known gangs) tied to the local illegal drug trade, and you might see some tattooed and patched-up members from time to time in some of the smaller cities and towns, but they basically leave civilians alone; I've never even found them to be unfriendly, never mind threatening.

If you guys are willing to venture into the South Bronx and Paterson in search of providers, then you shouldn't be afraid of venturing anywhere in this country. There's no need, anyway (at least not to monger) -- there are plenty of brothels and AMPs in better areas and plenty of indies working from those same areas.

I'd be A LOT more worried about Thailand than NZ, and I know a bunch of you have been to Thailand. So, if you make it here, just relax. It's really pretty safe.