Non Renewal VS Eviction

I have one tenant that I sent a certified letter stating I will not be re newing his lease for a few reasons all major violations according to lease agreement. I also sent a copy to the town just incase he claims I am evecting him. Town knows all violations he did. According to them (the town) atleast two of those violations also town regulations. He has till October 1 st to vacate. As of now his laywer is filing under the the extedend non eviction law. The town is also looking to have charges brought against him for a those town violations.... I asked the town if does not vacate can he claim squatters rights they said no cause he has been paying rent this whole time. Any other property owners here or have heard having simular issues rgarding tenants.

I have one tenant that I sent a certified letter stating I will not be re newing his lease for a few reasons all major violations according to lease agreement. I also sent a copy to the town just incase he claims I am evecting him. Town knows all violations he did. According to them (the town) atleast two of those violations also town regulations. He has till October 1 st to vacate. As of now his laywer is filing under the the extedend non eviction law. The town is also looking to have charges brought against him for a those town violations.... I asked the town if does not vacate can he claim squatters rights they said no cause he has been paying rent this whole time. Any other property owners here or have heard having simular issues rgarding tenants.
I believe you can evict for holdover especially when documented lease violations. They won’t let you evict for back rent. Did they hire a lawyer or were assigned by court. Outside NYC your chances are better. You should invest in a consultation with counsel as to current laws and your options.

I don't think the eviction ban applies to non-renewals. Non renewal is allowed in locations and situations. HOWEVER....if there's a holdover then you're suing for eviction. Hmm...@bricktop's distinction makes sense to me but I am not a lawyer and haven't faced this specific situation. Definitely check in with a lawyer it sounds worth it in this case.

The violations were also noted by town inspectors since the upstairs tenants were getting an odd odor this was after I notified the town of the other ones. I guess you can say I played the game. when the upstairs called me I told them to call the town telling them I was out of town.Then when the town came to look at unit we could not get in the tenent changed the locks which is another violation of lease he called the sheriffs office and I called a locksmith we all went in and it was a disaster mold growing in bathroom hotwater leaking in tub. My lawyer says he is out his lawyer lost cause he was paying rent did not claim hardship. This is in Suffolk County. The worst part is over.

The violations were also noted by town inspectors since the upstairs tenants were getting an odd odor this was after I notified the town of the other ones. I guess you can say I played the game. when the upstairs called me I told them to call the town telling them I was out of town.Then when the town came to look at unit we could not get in the tenent changed the locks which is another violation of lease he called the sheriffs office and I called a locksmith we all went in and it was a disaster mold growing in bathroom hotwater leaking in tub. My lawyer says he is out his lawyer lost cause he was paying rent did not claim hardship. This is in Suffolk County. The worst part is over.
Depending on how much you want him out you might consider offering a incentive to get him out. Say $1000. If you do this make the offer in court infront of the judge. The judge will as him for an answer. It’s always been yes when I’ve done this. This speeds things up considerably and will eliminate chance for damage when angry tenants leave. Good luck

Do not have to he was already told by the town that he must leave by October 1 the Sheriffs Department will be there as wellas someone from legal team. He has no defense once his lawyer saw the violations and pictures of unit told you have to go.

Do not have to he was already told by the town that he must leave by October 1 the Sheriffs Department will be there as wellas someone from legal team. He has no defense once his lawyer saw the violations and pictures of unit told you have to go.
Good to hear this
Perhaps we can all pitch in. Help with some renovations and you can keep it as a crash pad for us UG’ers :)

Yes he has to leave by Oct 1 and it will be enforced by the Sheriff.

However, Oct 1 is 7 days away.

A lot of concrete mix can be dumped down the drain and toilet pipes, copper piping, wiring torn out and sold for scrap — you get the idea.
A $1000 incentive, as wisely suggested by @Bricktop to be paid after he moves out with no (further) damage to the place might be a good idea.

Yeah it may stick in your craw to give something that you do not legally have to do — but the idea is to get the guy out and be able to quickly restore the place to an inhabitable and desirable rental apartment.

It's like not yielding the right of way to some idiot who isn't legally entitled to it — and the people you leave behind having comfort that you were dead right in what you did.

Guess he didnot want to wait till the 1st upstairs tenant called me last to inform me that he is moving now I turned on the security app on and saw himl oading stuff in a small u-haul truck. Will stop by later to acess unit and make the calls to my contractor to come by and see what he needs to fix it all up.........At this point I am glad he is gone and I will eat the cost for repairs no sense trying to drag him for damages not worth my time.