Night at Movies

I will be one of those people still going out to the movies even when every new release is streamed directly to our Google Glasses™. For the right one I don't mind paying the money to go out to see it. I saw Tenent in an empty theater last December as a matinee and paid ~$9 per ticket, and when it was re-screened in 70mm at the Museum of the Moving Image, I didn't think twice about spending $20/ticket to see it again. Some films absolutely command a large screen and unparalleled surround sound experience (Dunkirk, 1917, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood).

While I enjoy the comfy lounge seats, I don't at all need it to enjoy my theater experience. I still enjoyed seeing art house movies in that basic Huntington Cinema Arts Centre, however old the seats may have been. To keep costs down I don't buy the concessions; if it's a long movie and I think we might get hungry I'll have the girl I'm with take a water bottle and bag of candy in her purse and it's fine. Theater popcorn usually sucks anyway.

I don't see kid/family movies or those which a bunch of teens would flock to, so generally my theater going experiences have been pleasant. I have friends with the 70" TV and 7.1 surround sound setup, but it just doesn't come close to replicating a teacher experience, especially one a 70mm screening or one with an IMAX setup.

... I still enjoyed seeing art house movies in that basic Huntington Cinema Arts Centre, however old the seats may have been. T.....
Ah yes, the Cinema Arts Centre. They used to have a Sunday singles event that I would go to if I wasn't too hung over from Sat nite. Something like 15 bucks and you got to watch a film and when over there would be a brunch and sometimes someone from the film would give a talk or if they couldn't get someone Vic would talk about the film. This was before the internet was useful so you had to get a subscription for their newsletter mailing list to see what was on the schedule and read something about each film. Was pretty good as ratio of female to male was like 20 to 1 with almost no bimbos.

I always liked smart women in that after round 1 was over I could have a decent conversation while waiting out the refractory period to round 2.

Ah yes, the Cinema Arts Centre. They used to have a Sunday singles event that I would go to if I wasn't too hung over from Sat nite. Something like 15 bucks and you got to watch a film and when over there would be a brunch and sometimes someone from the film would give a talk or if they couldn't get someone Vic would talk about the film. This was before the internet was useful so you had to get a subscription for their newsletter mailing list to see what was on the schedule and read something about each film. Was pretty good as ratio of female to male was like 20 to 1 with almost no bimbos.

I always liked smart women in that after round 1 was over I could have a decent conversation while waiting out the refractory period to round 2.
20:1 ratio? . No kidding …
Is this place still around?

20:1 ratio? . No kidding …
Is this place still around?
IDK as I've been out of that sort of entertainment for quite a while. Check it out online if you are interested.

BTW, during this part of my life I was w/o a SO so I had no strings attached and no secrecy concerns. I gave women my work or home # that they could call which (foolishly for them) gave them a sense of security that I was totally available to enter into a relationship. I never misrepresented myself that I was — they just assumed it was the case.

They may be lily white but some of the harbor towns (Northport, Port Jefferson I'm familiar, with), were pretty rough places when I was growing up long ago. Some of the guys from that era are still around (although I don't understand how they are still living given their lifestyle ) even though the towns have turned artsy (especially Northport), or touristy (especially Port Jeff).

BTW, if ever in Northport be sure to stop at Copenhagen Bakery for lunch. I get one of their outstanding special of soup, 7 grain bun and espresso cookie and one of their coffees. Very satisfying. Note they close at 3pm. Also, there is the Sand City Brewery for local beers.
You get around.:)