Night at Movies

Ventured out to see the James Bond flick-
Have not been to the movies in years..
- $32.00 for two tickets
- $18.00 for popcorn and drink

The plot was interesting - Without getting into to much detail, the realities of subject matter have been talked about from time to time by the so called conspiracy theorists..

It was though nice to get out

The last flick I saw in a movie theater was Titanic (not joking). The audio was deafening, people behind us were talking to each other, making noise from opening plastic wrappers to stuff the bought to eat that was annoying and distracting, getting up throughout the movie to get more pop corn or to pee and walking up and down the aisle looking for their seat (and top it off having their companion explain what they missed) and finally my shoes ending up with buttered popcorn and candy stuck on their soles.
Just a typical night at the movies.

I'll wait for the DVD (new releases are something like $18 at Target) where:

I don't have to deal with the hoi polloi many of which I would not want to be in the same room with no less seated right next to me.

I can fast forward thru coming attractions and credits (do I really care about the name of the casts' hairdressers or who the best boy or key grip is). BTW, what the hell is a key grip or a best boy?

I can make my popcorn exactly as I like it, maybe a salsa dip and maybe a bottle of wine or smoke a joint.

if I miss a few words in a scene I can go back a couple of seconds and replay.

Pause a scene to get a better look, e.g., the nude scene in Titanic with Kate Winslet

if in the middle of the movie if my SO or I have to leave the room for whatever, we can pause it.

Next time you head to the movies on the island, go on Tuesday’s. Showcase cinema in Hicksville and Farmingdale tickets are $8.75 all day and there are also discounts on popcorn and refreshments that day too.

The last flick I saw in a movie theater was Titanic (not joking). The audio was deafening, people behind us were talking to each other, making noise from opening plastic wrappers to stuff the bought to eat that was annoying and distracting, getting up throughout the movie to get more pop corn or to pee and walking up and down the aisle looking for their seat (and top it off having their companion explain what they missed) and finally my shoes ending up with buttered popcorn and candy stuck on their soles.

I don't have to deal with the hoi polloi many of which I would not want to be in the same room with no less seated right next to me.

I can fast forward thru coming attractions and credits (do I really care about the name of the casts' hairdressers or who the best boy or key grip is). BTW, what the hell is a key grip or a best boy?

I can make my popcorn exactly as I like it, maybe a salsa dip and maybe a bottle of wine or smoke a joint.

Pause a scene to get a better look, e.g., the nude scene in Titanic with Kate Winslet

if in the middle of the movie if my SO or I have to leave the room for whatever, we can pause it.
It wasn’t all that bad, but I certainly agree with most of your points. I suppose some of the reason for my post was the nostalgia- The world has changed just a bit- thinking back to the late 60’s and 70’s when going to the movies was a treat and much looked forward to event-
Now- ( and I say this because I am a 007 fan), I have no real reason to go to the big screen for just the reasons you said.

It wasn’t all that bad, but I certainly agree with most of your points. I suppose some of the reason for my post was the nostalgia- The world has changed just a bit- thinking back to the late 60’s and 70’s when going to the movies was a treat and much looked forward to event-
Now- ( and I say this because I am a 007 fan), I have no real reason to go to the big screen for just the reasons you said.
I agree with you and Genius, there is no more allure to go to the big screen. Not with Hi-Def 75" tvs and incredible surround sound capabilities. Not when I can sit in the comfort of my own home, sans the popcorn and sour patch kids stuck to the bottom of my shoes ( As Genius so eloquently stated in his post)

Saw Bond last week, worth seeing. As for the prices we are taking everything with no lube n it's the way its always been. Just got it again, saw Halloween, another good ass reeming

Alamo Drafthouse is the best!! We have one up here in Westchester and the daytime ticket prices are very reasonable. They also sell food and Booz at reasonable prices. I go during the week around lunch, I’m either totally alone or there are at most 10 people in the entire theater, and I get to relax and enjoy. I’d see all the new releases the well after the hit, it was great. Then the pandemic struck and my regimen was shut down. I fucking miss it.

Best Boy is the 2nd in charge of either the electrical dept(movie lighting "gaffers") or set rigging dept (grips).

Best Boy is the 2nd in charge of either the electrical dept(movie lighting "gaffers") or set rigging dept (grips).
And why do people who see the film need to know who they are?
For example I watched news of the world recently and part of my decision to buy the DVD was Tom Hanks was the leading role.

I didn't say to my SO "Wow! Satoshi Yamazaki is the best boy grip on this film — let's buy it watch it tonight"

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist

The titanic came out when I was in middle school :oops::oops:

The movie theater near me has eliminated the problem with people getting up to get food. (Obviously not to pee) …BUT…They now have screens at your seat to order food… way too expensive and not my thing… I don’t really do TV or movies… such a waste of time.

D

Deleted member 128262

Ventured out to see the James Bond flick-
Have not been to the movies in years..
- $32.00 for two tickets
- $18.00 for popcorn and drink

The plot was interesting - Without getting into to much detail, the realities of subject matter have been talked about from time to time by the so called conspiracy theorists..

It was though nice to get out
@trader1 was the movie worth the hype that I’ve been seeing from the TV ads?

The movie theater near me has eliminated the problem with people getting up to get food. (Obviously not to pee) …BUT…They now have screens at your seat to order food… way too expensive and not my thing… I don’t really do TV or movies… such a waste of time.
Wait till you're our age.
TV and movies will be most of your entertainment. :)

@trader1 was the movie worth the hype that I’ve been seeing from the TV ads?
I think so.
I’ve been watching the Bond films for decades. Always some hype and over the top typical Bond antics. I did not go in with any expectations-
I’ll put it this way…
Many of us will spend $50, $100 , $200 or more for 30 minutes of excitement and the opportunity to drop a load with no guarantee the girl will be hot..What’s a mere $15.00 for a few hours of entertainment
( I’m not sure if that was a good analogy .. lol)

Ouch — that hurt Sophia, I was "treated" to that movie by my now SO on my 50th birthday.
.....… I don’t really do TV or movies… such a waste of time.
Mostly I agree, but IMHO a little TV has its place as does newspapers (it is entertaining to see how the same event can be portrayed differently depending on the political slant of the paper) and plays, operas, ballet.

Some may think that people who enjoy ballet are fogeyish, and conservative, but my SO at the time, a ballet buff, treated me and her girlfriend on one of my birthdays in the late 70's to an outstanding dinner, an outstanding ballet with Mikhail Baryshnikov, and finally when we got home treated me to an outstanding performance with me, herself and her girlfriend. My SO was a dancer herself (not her day job) but not ballet as she was to heavy for ballet — did you know that dancers are very flexible — oh they are.

As far as opera, not for everyone but take a look at Carmen — you can get a version on youtube and you will immediately recognize the music.

A little amount TV is useful every day is useful in getting opinions on whats happening in the world. Most of my watching is at the gym doing the aerobic part of my workout. Some of the TCM can be entertaining — I just watched River's edge (1986),a very strange film with a very young Keanu Reeves playing a dramatic role playing a teenager — nothing like his later action films (Wick, Matrix).

@trader1 I enjoyed the Bond films during the 60's but lost interest in the later ones and haven't seen any of them.

billyS

Reign of Terror
A little amount TV is useful every day is useful in getting opinions on whats happening in the world. Most of my watching is at the gym doing the aerobic part of my workout. Some of the TCM can be entertaining — I just watched River's edge (1986),a very strange film with a very young Keanu Reeves playing a dramatic role playing a teenager — nothing like his later action films (Wick, Matrix).

@trader1 I enjoyed the Bond films during the 60's but lost interest in the later ones and haven't seen any of them.
I saw Rivers Edge when it first came out.
It was Dennis Hoppers "creepy" phase ( see also Blue Velvet and his Nike commercial).
And although I've heard different since, I remember Rodger Ebert saying it was based on a Long Island case. Not the James Pius case (you know, that was the one a young James Burke made his bones as a snitch) but another case where this crazy looking teen stabbed another teen to death in the woods and blamed it on Satan. Happened out in Suffolk. One of the similarities was that a lot of kids knew what happened but didn't say anything.
I remember the teen who did the murder making crazy faces giving the devil sign as Newsday snapped his picture as he was getting arrested. He committed suicide in jail shortly after he was arrested.

It was Dennis Hoppers "creepy" phase ( see also Blue Velvet and his Nike commercial).
And although I've heard different since, I remember Rodger Ebert saying it was based on a Long Island case. Not the James Pius case (you know, that was the one a young James Burke made his bones as a snitch) but another case where this crazy looking teen stabbed another teen to death in the woods and blamed it on Satan. Happened out in Suffolk. One of the similarities was that a lot of kids knew what happened but didn't say anything.
I remember the teen who did the murder making crazy faces giving the devil sign as Newsday snapped his picture as he was getting arrested. He committed suicide in jail shortly after he was arrested.
I've read it was inspired by the murder of Marcy Conrad, who was killed by her boyfriend Anthony Jacques Broussard in Milpitas, California, in 1981. Although not identical, it looks like the murder has many similarities to the film — much more so than the LI case.

Here is a relevant link — decide for yourself:

https://www.sfweekly.com/news/yesterdays-crimes-what-really-happened-at-the-rivers-edge/

BTW, Danyi Deats, the murdered girl in the film, had an outstanding body (no pun intended) in the fully nude scenes.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I've read it was inspired by the murder of Marcy Conrad, who was killed by her boyfriend Anthony Jacques Broussard in Milpitas, California, in 1981. Although not identical, it looks like the murder has many similarities to the film — much more so than the LI case.

Here is a relevant link — decide for yourself:

https://www.sfweekly.com/news/yesterdays-crimes-what-really-happened-at-the-rivers-edge/

BTW, Danyi Deats, the murdered girl in the film, had an outstanding body (no pun intended) in the fully nude scenes.
Yeah I don't know why Ebert had originally said it was based off the LI case. Maybe he didn't know about the real case.
But I do remember seeing the movie tied to the case you alluded to later on.

Some of the characters reminded me of the dirt bags from my town growing up.

That was the murder that occurred in the Azteka woods in Northport. Pretty much every high school kid knew that the kid (Gary Lauer's) was dead and rotting in the woods. The kids who killed him brought kids up there to show them the dead body. Ricky Kasso was the one who killed himself in jail. Read the book "Say You Love Satan!" for the full story, it was really interesting. Media made it all out to a satanic ritual killing, that the lily white town or Northport were all a bunch of satan worshippers. It was ALL about drugs.

That was the murder that occurred in the Azteka woods in Northport. Pretty much every high school kid knew that the kid (Gary Lauer's) was dead and rotting in the woods. The kids who killed him brought kids up there to show them the dead body. Ricky Kasso was the one who killed himself in jail. Read the book "Say You Love Satan!" for the full story, it was really interesting. Media made it all out to a satanic ritual killing, that the lily white town or Northport were all a bunch of satan worshippers. It was ALL about drugs.
They may be lily white but some of the harbor towns (Northport, Port Jefferson I'm familiar, with), were pretty rough places when I was growing up long ago. Some of the guys from that era are still around (although I don't understand how they are still living given their lifestyle ) even though the towns have turned artsy (especially Northport), or touristy (especially Port Jeff).

BTW, if ever in Northport be sure to stop at Copenhagen Bakery for lunch. I get one of their outstanding special of soup, 7 grain bun and espresso cookie and one of their coffees. Very satisfying. Note they close at 3pm. Also, there is the Sand City Brewery for local beers.