NHL Hockey

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
2nd or 3rd best team in history. Who is better?

1950s Habs
1970s Habs (I think they won 6 of 9)
1980s Oilers

I always though 80s Isles were better than 80s Oilers, but looking at the teams objectively they are pretty much equal. The Oilers were a lot better defensively than I thought. 70sHabs I am too young to remember. Although Potvin was probably the best defenseman on any of the above mentioned squads, the big 3 defenseman on the late 70s Habs are probably 2.3.4 in terms of cornerstone defenseman.

Interesting debate...

And poor Barry Beck. Much maligned by Ranger fans, because he wasn't Potvin. But looking back , he was pretty good.

2nd or 3rd best team in history. Who is better?

1950s Habs
1970s Habs (I think they won 6 of 9)
1980s Oilers

I always though 80s Isles were better than 80s Oilers, but looking at the teams objectively they are pretty much equal. The Oilers were a lot better defensively than I thought. 70sHabs I am too young to remember. Although Potvin was probably the best defenseman on any of the above mentioned squads, the big 3 defenseman on the late 70s Habs are probably 2.3.4 in terms of cornerstone defenseman.

Interesting debate...

And poor Barry Beck. Much maligned by Ranger fans, because he wasn't Potvin. But looking back , he was pretty good.
Great to see you here Gavy.... I knew I would wake you up. Yes, Barry Beck was good, but of coarse, no Potvin, but then again, not many are....I think jus the Oilers were better but by very little. But I would not argue with someone they said they were equal, or they thought Islanders were just a tad better. Its almost too close to call.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I browse from time to time. Juggling two friends really rough, but I can monger at times. Girl on the cover of the NY POST yesterday was a girl bunyon and I knew from Roosevelt Avenue, by the way.

LW, I have a question re: LI strip clubs/go go spots. Will post in appropriate forum.

I was seething after last nights game, I had Isles/Leafs/Pens in a 3 team parlay. 200 to win 580. Two minutes left after Leafs and Pens take care of business the fucking Isles blow the lead. FUCK! And I'll be there tmre night...

I wouldn't say it's over. Too many rookies in the lineup, not everyone will be what's predicted. Kravstov has a wide range of possibilites. Some are high on him some are low. There isn't a trustworthy center after Zib. Howden or Chytil may take that next step. Shesterkin has been a beast in the KHL but plays on a stacked team that happens to be Putin's favorite team so they always get stars and do well. Who knows how he'll do in a better league not on an All-Star team. There are way too many questions before you can say the rebuild is over. Also, the 2020 draft is supposed to be the best draft since 2003 so a lottery pick would go along way. Perhaps making the playoffs and trading Kreider with two mid 1st round picks would add even more young great players. Regardeless of all that, I'm so excited to see what this team will be. If everything comes together the Rangers could be a modern dynasty, meaning 2-3 cups over the next 8 years. Man I'd love to see that.

Rangers have some serious cap issues right now. So they will probably have to trade another player or two for just draft picks. See the Vesey trade with Buffalo.

As JHS81 pointed out, the roster still has a lot of young, unproven talent. I think secondary scoring will be an issue. I'm also not completely sold on the defense as a whole. Trouba is a nice addition though. Also, the King is 37 years old! I think they compete for a playoff spot.

As an Islander fan, it pains me to say that the Devils might be the most exciting team in the Metropolitan area next season. They did a good job rebuilding that roster. Hughes, Subban, Gusev. They should be fun to watch!

Hollander - Did Isles do anything big in free agency? Seems to me after there solid run in playoffs last year, they sat kind of idle in the off season. I know they resigned Lee. I am an Islander fan to a degree, followed them religiously in 90's-2000, then they just got so hard to watch.

Your think last year was a fluke, or we have something legit with this group?

Hollander - Did Isles do anything big in free agency? Seems to me after there solid run in playoffs last year, they sat kind of idle in the off season. I know they resigned Lee. I am an Islander fan to a degree, followed them religiously in 90's-2000, then they just got so hard to watch.

Your think last year was a fluke, or we have something legit with this group?
As of right now, they are basically returning the same team as last year with the exception of a change in goalie. As great as Lehner was last year, he was unproven coming into the season. I think Varlamov will be fine for them.

I think the coach and the system will make them competitive again this year. They need a scorer up front. They tried to sign Panarin, but he wanted to be a Ranger.

Too much in flux with the Isles. I don't know if they broke ground on their Belmont arena but until they do, I don't trust Nassau or NYS to stick to their promises. They practice in LI and now play half their games in LI and the other in BK. I don't know how you sell that to a player when the Rangers and Devils are set up better in every way possible. The last 25 years have been a joke for the Isles. If I want to live in NYC and live that life, even the Devils provide that option. You can live on the UWS, West Village and be 20 minutes from the Rock, where they play and practice.

Rumor is, one of the reasons they signed Varlamov is to help convince prospect Ilya Sorokin to come over. They are very good friends. Sorokin has been regarded as one of the one best goal tending prospects in hockey for a few years now. But, he keeps signing to play over in Russia (KHL).

As far as Varlamov himself, he's 31 and been trending downward. But, Trotz's goaltender coach, Mitch Korn has been a wizard throughout his career. So maybe he can turn that trend around, like he has turned around so many other guys. Hell, who would have thought Lehner and Greiss would have been the best goal tending tandem in the NHL last season!?

So Hockey is off to a great start. Rangers young and exciting, fast, and is playing well, just of coarse not there yet. Islanders? What can I say. Very impressive. All good players, solid, no stars, all playing hard and playing well in this great coaches system.