NHL Hockey

It looked like DP was smiling before he got punched in the face. What the fuck was so funny?? I don't know, maybe if I had a contract like his I would be smiling all the time too. Even while getting knocked out!!

I'm not sure how Gavy reacted to that, he may have been pretty amused with Di Pietro getting clocked because he is his main whipping boy but then again he is still an Islander after all and maybe he will put that fact over his personal dislike for him. I'm sure he'll chime in as soon as he sees this.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I think I was the very first Rick DiPietro "haters" (I jumped on board that terrible day we traded Loungo/Jokkinen away for middling players). And I have been very vocal to anyone that'll listen how mch I don't like the guy or can't stand to watch the way he plays in the net. The arrogance, the contract, the link to Milbury. Yeah, I have a hard time letting go of my disdain for this guy.

That being said, his team continually REFUSES to stick up for themselves and for one another. I am sick of watching this team get pushed around year after year. If you are going to be at the bottom of the league, you might as well make it very difficult for the opposition to play against you.

I think if he begged off the fight, we'd have called him a pussy. Cooke's been running him all season. If his teammates weren't going to back him up, he might as well have. I can dislike DiPietro for 1,000 things. This? Well, I actually feel bad for the guy.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
It is really funny, I never liked him and "not so secretly" wished he'd go away any way necessary. Islander fans, even his biggest supporters, have pretty much abandoned him after this instance. And for some strange reason, I kind of feel bad for the guy. I don't know why. He was the bane of my rooting existance. He is my second most hated sports personality directly linked to my team (Milbury being #1).

DiPietro is the only player I ever yelled at from the stands. That includes about:

750 hockey games
200 baseball games
10 football games

And I did it on two occasions (once last year and once this year). I felt bad about it the second time. He made the same bonehead overhandling the puck routine that caused a goal. There was about 3500 spectators at the Colliseum that night. Where I sit in the 200 section is about 120 feet from the net. There was a lull in play at the other endand I bellowed, "Hey, Rick, retire already!" He looked in my general direction adn I know he heard it. I felt bad for yelling that, too.

Well, here it is. The tide has finally turned COMPLETELY against him. I was the first of the Rick DiPietro haters. The minute Milbury made that asinine Loungo/Jokkinen for a bucket of pucks and dog shit, I started the "I Despise Rick DiPietro" fan club. But, for this od reason, I just feel sorry for him. I wonder why that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavy, I hope you have watched this series. Your mind will be changed on Lunquist. He is unbelievable. He is the only reason the Ranger were in this series. If he is not the best goalie in hockey, he is surely second best.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Gavy, I hope you have watched this series. Your mind will be changed on Lunquist. He is unbelievable. He is the only reason the Ranger were in this series. If he is not the best goalie in hockey, he is surely second best.
I never doubted his talent. I always make the comparison of him and DiPietro. He was drafted 200th in the same draft that DiPietro was drafted 1st overall. The comparison is natural. And , I have been saying this since I was a teenager, YOU NEVER DRAFT A GOALTENDER IN THE FIRST ROUND!! NEVER!!

The thing with LundQvist is that his teammates hate him. He is a duesche bag of a person, much like DiPietro is a prick of a guy. Maybe it goes with being a netminder. I don't know.

As for the Rangers, you can't go far when you have an entire team of 3rd line players. Much of what Tortarella said after yesterday's game.

Something very special is going on in NY...

If you have not been paying attention, The NY Rangers have the best overall record in all of Hockey. Lundquist has been incredible... The play hard every single shift... Gaborik is playing unbelievable... The dee is shut down.... This is becoming a very good and enjoyable season...

If you have not been paying attention, The NY Rangers have the best overall record in all of Hockey. Lundquist has been incredible... The play hard every single shift... Gaborik is playing unbelievable... The dee is shut down.... This is becoming a very good and enjoyable season...
Hey lightweight
The Rangers are having a great season so far. A fun team to watch. Bunch of good guys. Loved the 24/7 thing on HBO. This team got me to watch hockey again.
Now we all know the NHL regular season is basically a long preseason till the real season starts. Playoffs. Where any thing can happen. 8's beat 1's. Hot goalies (we got a good 1). I feel this team can make a playoff run. Balanced team. Good mix of vets and youth.

I'm never one to get too excited by the Rangers early season (even mid season) exploits but this team continues to surprise. Blue Shirts may have the best goalie in the league.

I'm never one to get too excited by the Rangers early season (even mid season) exploits but this team continues to surprise. Blue Shirts may have the best goalie in the league.
I agree, I think we have a the best Goolie... Ranger presented themselves Quite well in the Allstar weekend. Rangers Rookie, Haglin wins the fastest skater contest, Lunquist was great in gfoal and how about Gaborik, scoring a hat trick with 3 goals and an assist to win the MVP honors.

Joyboy,pagliacco,nychelsea,retox,lascivious,and yes, GAVY

Lets hear from you guys.... It's Hockey time.... Rangers are good this year... .. Gavy, many years ago, you said, Lunquist was a dick, and his teamates hated him....... I always meant to tell you how wrong you were then....

I am a lifelong Islander fan.Even though the team has been struggling the past few years I am pretty sad they are moving to Brooklyn.My brother and I had season tickets for about 5 yrs.Besides the games,it was cool just hanging with my brother for those 3 hour each game...kind of a bonding thing,with both of us working crazy hours.Dont see me going to brooklyn though too much of a trek for me.

I am a lifelong Islander fan.Even though the team has been struggling the past few years I am pretty sad they are moving to Brooklyn.My brother and I had season tickets for about 5 yrs.Besides the games,it was cool just hanging with my brother for those 3 hour each game...kind of a bonding thing,with both of us working crazy hours.Dont see me going to brooklyn though too much of a trek for me.
Ok, a few things... I hate the Islanders. Yes, they have sucked recently... Maybe you and your brother can go to just a few games in Brooklyn, and it will be something different and quality time together... Plus, I am glad they did not more out of NY.... The Islander owners diserved a new Arena..... So, you can at least understand it. That place is one of if not, the worse Arena around..... I for one, get the Islander tradition. I used to go to 30 Islander games a year when they were winning. I had a family mewmber who had season tickets for the Islander but never used them. I used to go and see incredible Hockey. They say the 3rd best team in History, I say they were the second best team in Hockey History, and a close second at that... I never rooted for them, although I learn to really like many of the players, but I was never arrogant and cheered against them either, as I always felt I was in there house... Unless of coarse, they played the Rangers.... I was at every playoff game back then... What a treat that was...

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, Stan Fischler agrees with Lundqvist being disliked by his teammates, but I digress.

You wrote "islanders owner deserves a new arena". Not for nothing, regardless of the Town of Hempstead and the failed bond vote, he was offered the right to build a new arena with his own money on the 77 acres in Uniondale.

All of this because Wang doesn't agree to a sweetheart "consulting job" for Alfonse D'Amato's brother Armand. Mid 2000s, Wang is lunching with Alphonse at the Italian restaurant in Carle Place on Old Country Road. They are discussing his Lighthouse Project and , yeah, not everything is going to get done, but probably 70-75% is getting approval.
Middle of the lunch, Alphonse drops the , "oh yeah, and my brother Armand will be attached to the project as a consultant for x amount..."
Wang balks, doesn't want to "get into dirty politics" and refuses to do business with D'Amato (who STILL has a lot of power in TOH).

What "x" amount is is subject to speculation. I've heard it range from 100k to 1mil a year. So fuck Charles Wang.

About the Barclays. Terrible for hockey. Say what you want about the Coliseum, I ask anyone on the board to show me an arena in the nhl with better sight lines. And the fact that I can leave my house at 6:45 and get to me seats by the National Anthem? You can't beat it. The Barclays was an ordeal. Drunks on the train, the train itself, the terrible sight lines. What a horror show. The NHL would never allow the Islanders to move. That cable contract - despite other teams having their own network (like the Yankees have with YES) is still one of the best in the NHL. Spoke with Isles CFO Art McCarthy on the platform in Jamaica the night of Barclays. Guy was with his sweet teenage daughter, known him for years. Despite that, we got into an argument when he said,"Charles had serious offers from two cities" to move. I didn't call him out on that being bullshit right away, I asked "what cities" and he huffed and puffed about "not getting into that". That's when I told him my contact with Bill Daly and said the Isles were never in danger of leaving $25 mill a year until 2030 (cable deal). Went back and forth...bullshit guy...cute daughter. Whatever.

Anyway, Isles fans overrate this team. Small defense (except for Hamonic who is a serious stud in this league --- no idea why he isn't on power play). Was happy to see Poulin play well in loss to Chicago. I think we all like Nabakov, great teammate , funny interview, but thinking he can play more that 45-50 games is folly.