New Jersey contractors

Taking advantage of some well aligned fortune, I am purchasing a rental house just outside of Morristown.

I got information on an electrical contractor and had him come take a look. He gave a good estimate for the work, but I cannot verify if he is licensed with the state. . . seems fishy! Are not all contractors supposed to be licensed in NJ?? shouldn't I be able to find him on the states consumer protection website? If he is not licensed, should I be reporting him??

This is the first time I am venturing into this, and the first time dealing with NJ contrators.
thoughts and insight appreciated

Taking advantage of some well aligned fortune, I am purchasing a rental house just outside of Morristown.

I got information on an electrical contractor and had him come take a look. He gave a good estimate for the work, but I cannot verify if he is licensed with the state. . . seems fishy! Are not all contractors supposed to be licensed in NJ?? shouldn't I be able to find him on the states consumer protection website? If he is not licensed, should I be reporting him??

Thomas Electrical Services
31 Harrison Ave
Morristown, NJ
973-261-3594

This is the first time I am venturing into this, and the first time dealing with NJ contrators.
I belive in any state they are required to be licensed Hire at your own risk.

Thomas Electrical Services
31 Harrison Ave
Morristown, NJ
973-261-3594

If you need permits he will need a license to file. Why put a contractor on a Amp board?

If you need permits he will need a license to file. Why put a contractor on a Amp board?
It sounds to me as if he was asking for your valued and trusted opinion as fellow mongers. It doesn't appear to be advertising and I don't believe he violated any rules by asking. There are many categories in this "Amp" board but maybe he should have posted it in the "Watts" section instead. :)

Why would you want to be reporting someone to anyone? Did he scam you or something? Interfering with a mans livelihood could produce unexpected results. Especially when he knows where you live. If you are renovating a house do you need permits from the town or state to do so? If you do and play by the rules then I would think that the electrical contractor is responsible for answering to the people that issued the permits who should be inspecting his work. In my experience and humble opinion of course. :)

billyS

Reign of Terror
He gave a good estimate for the work, but I cannot verify if he is licensed with the state. . .
If he is not licensed, should I be reporting him??
I wouldn't report him but I wouldn't use him either.
If something goes wrong and he is not licensed and bonded you could be on the hook for a lot of money.
He might burn the place down or use cheap unlicensed labor.
Maybe he lost his license.
Maybe that's why he gave you such a good price.

For the electrical work I had done recently it wasn't inspected until it was done so that means all the time he was working on my power was before any third party got involved.

Your instincts were right to question why this guy can't be found anywhere. Something is fishy.
I wouldn't use him.

It sounds to me as if he was asking for your valued and trusted opinion as fellow mongers. It doesn't appear to be advertising and I don't believe he violated any rules by asking. There are many categories in this "Amp" board but maybe he should have posted it in the "Watts" section instead. :)
you are a funny guy!

I come to this board for insight and opinion, i have come to value what many of you offer on a variety of topics.

thanks for confirming my spidey sense.

APM - you can close this thread if you wish

Do you know that for a fact?
In my little village in NY I have filed for permits for work to be done on my property. I am not licensed but did the electrical work myself and had it inspected by Underwriters as to being in code. I attached the drawings (that I drew up) of each project to the permit and attached electrical certs to the permits. Work done was inspected by village engineer and was in conformance to the drawings and permits closed out with CO's. For major work I used electrical guys but didn't care if they were licensed or not as I had work inspected by Underwriters for compliance with latest code.

Also, any electrical work I do inside the house is done by me (not part of a major project like a kitchen or bathroom redo) and I don't bother with permits or inspections. Same with plumbing work — do you really want to have the replacement of an outdoor hose bib or replacement of ancient toilet or wash machine shutoff valves with ball valves, inspected — the expense and time for testing of the solder joints to prove non-lead solder was used and inspection costs for a job that only costs me 10 bucks.

Ps. Would have been funny (to me anyway - I like puns) if you said Why put an electrical contractor on a Amp board?

In my little village in NY I have filed for permits for work to be done on my property. I am not licensed but did the electrical work myself and had it inspected by Underwriters as to being in code. I attached the drawings (that I drew up) of each project to the permit and attached electrical certs to the permits. Work done was inspected by village engineer and was in conformance to the drawings and permits closed out with CO's. For major work I used electrical guys but didn't care if they were licensed or not as I had work inspected by Underwriters for compliance with latest code.

Also, any electrical work I do inside the house is done by me (not part of a major project like a kitchen or bathroom redo) and I don't bother with permits or inspections. Same with plumbing work — do you really want to have the replacement of an outdoor hose bib or replacement of ancient toilet or wash machine shutoff valves with ball valves, inspected — the expense and time for testing of the solder joints to prove non-lead solder was used and inspection costs for a job that only costs me 10 bucks.

Ps. Would have been funny (to me anyway - I like puns) if you said Why put an electrical contractor on a Amp board?
In the 5 boros permits are done on line. If you don’t have a license # you can’t submit the application. Need Con Ed to connect a service if you don’t have a license they won’t talk to you. Who is this underwriter that inspected your work? Insurance company?

I think in some towns homeowners can do certain work with out licenses but has to be inspected to make sure it's up to code, to get the permit.

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist

Definitely don’t snitch on him... maybe he knows it by trade and this is the only way he supports his family... just use someone different if you can’t verify him in a way that makes you comfortable. At least you are able to make the decision in who you hire... don’t tattle tale unless he does you some sort of harm to you

In the 5 boros permits are done on line. If you don’t have a license # you can’t submit the application. Need Con Ed to connect a service if you don’t have a license they won’t talk to you. Who is this underwriter that inspected your work? Insurance company?
Here is a list from Town of Oyster Bay
https://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/uploads/Approved-Electrical-Certificate-Issuers.pdf

Been maybe 25 years since I needed it done so I forget who I used so I could get the CO for bathroom I added to my house ( plus all the info stayed with the house when I sold it) . Since the house had the # of bathrooms on its original CO, adding another could be a problem when I went to sell it. I wouldn't have bothered with the inspection if I was just updating an existing bathroom although everything I do would be up to code.
What's important if you do the electrical work yourself (check to see if your town allows you to do it yourself or requires a licensed electrician) is not to cover the work, e.g. don't put the sheetrock over it, so the inspector can look at all the wiring. I got the latest electrical code from the public library for what was acceptable as internet wasn't around then. It's called the National Electrical Code (NEC) and is updated every 3 years. 2020 is the latest update so you will need that one. They specify electrical box sizes for # of separate wires in the box, where the staples go holding the cables to the studs, etc. When I wired the garage I didn't have it inspected. There wasn't any sheetrock in the garage (sheetrock wasn't required when house was built during the 50's) so I used armored cable for the wiring as all wiring was exposed and although don't remember if code required it. Didn't have a problem when I sold the house.

Call your township (or Village if the Village has its own permit process) and they will tell you who you can use and requirements as to who can do the wiring.
I don't know (or care) about requirements for NYC as I always lived in Nassau or Suffolk.

Here is a list from Town of Oyster Bay
https://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/uploads/Approved-Electrical-Certificate-Issuers.pdf

Been maybe 25 years since I needed it done so I forget who I used so I could get the CO for bathroom I added to my house ( plus all the info stayed with the house when I sold it) . Since the house had the # of bathrooms on its original CO, adding another could be a problem when I went to sell it. I wouldn't have bothered with the inspection if I was just updating an existing bathroom although everything I do would be up to code.
What's important if you do the electrical work yourself (check to see if your town allows you to do it yourself or requires a licensed electrician) is not to cover the work, e.g. don't put the sheetrock over it, so the inspector can look at all the wiring. I got the latest electrical code from the public library for what was acceptable as internet wasn't around then. It's called the National Electrical Code (NEC) and is updated every 3 years. 2020 is the latest update so you will need that one. They specify electrical box sizes for # of separate wires in the box, where the staples go holding the cables to the studs, etc. When I wired the garage I didn't have it inspected. There wasn't any sheetrock in the garage (sheetrock wasn't required when house was built during the 50's) so I used armored cable for the wiring as all wiring was exposed and although don't remember if code required it. Didn't have a problem when I sold the house.

Call your township (or Village if the Village has its own permit process) and they will tell you who you can use and requirements as to who can do the wiring.
I don't know (or care) about requirements for NYC as I always lived in Nassau or Suffolk.
Very good Sir