Net Neutrality

In co-ops you don't even own that. In a condo, you purchase the real property on the inside of the unit (from the walls in). In a co-op, you purchase shares in a corporation that owns all the real property, inside and out. None of the actual real estate is yours, only part ownership in a corp that owns it. The board my allow you to install a dish inside, but y0u'd may well have to ask permission first.
Nope. Nothing is yours in a coop or a rental apartment but the law covers that. As Slinky pointed out nothing on the façade of the building but if you have a terraces, balconies or patios FCC rules trump any of the landlord. I remember reading about this case a while back in that the landlord found dishes handing off tenants balconies objectionable. The FCC stepped in and stated that it was the only ones that could regulate antennas and the only rules that the landlord could impose are safety, e.g., the dish must be securely fastened and the like
In the case of condominiums, cooperatives and rental properties, the rules apply to “exclusive use” areas, like terraces, balconies or patios. “Exclusive use” refers to an area of the property that only renters and their guests may enter and use

justme

homo economicus
Come on — it’s all about money and you guys now it. Amazon is going to be able to negotiate better deals for shipping the same size box, that the local mom and pop store.
Content providers can and do negotiate prices as a function of volume. That is orthogonal to net neutrality.

A better metaphor would be the post office demanding that Amazon pay more to ship Nestle products than It does to ship Hershey products.

justme

homo economicus
You guys know that there are well-studies oligopolistic effects that are akin to monopolistic ones? Even in areas with three or four service providers, it’s hard to argue that there is sufficient competition to guarantee free market effects. Telecom, as an industry, consistently has among the lowest customer service ratings which is one predictable result of their market structure. Moreover, that structure is partially enforced by government regulation that limits things like wires in the ground and wireless bandwidth. I’m all for letting competition drive market dynamics in an actual free market, but I don’t trust equilibrium in one where supply is already artificially limited.

Which is why the founders chose to go with a constitutional republic instead of a democracy.
Yup. The founders were really smart guys.
Whether you agree with politics of Bill O'Reilly or not, his latest book Killing England, is an excellent scholarly read as to how our country came into being and the role of the founders. IMHO, the book is politically neutral and once you start it you will not be able to put it down.

Content providers can and do negotiate prices as a function of volume. That is orthogonal to net neutrality.

A better metaphor would be the post office demanding that Amazon pay more to ship Nestle products than It does to ship Hershey products.
I think the metaphor is more like Nestle paying the PO for the right to expedite shipment of its products by whoever sells them.

Yup. The founders were really smart guys.
Whether you agree with politics of Bill O'Reilly or not, his latest book Killing England, is an excellent scholarly read as to how our country came into being and the role of the founders. IMHO, the book is politically neutral and once you start it you will not be able to put it down.
Well he certainly has plenty of free time now to work on his next book, "Killing America".

justme

homo economicus
I think the metaphor is more like Nestle paying the PO for the right to expedite shipment of its products by whoever sells them.
Maybe. But to be clear, none of the producers (Nestle/Amazon) is asking for the ability to do that negotiation. Everyone is happy negotiating on a content neutral basis.

Given that costs are independent of content, you’d expect a free market to produce exactly that result. More evidence that the market is already plenty inefficient.