My encounter

Now this isn't quite hate mail, but I feel like it is close enough.

I sell adult advertising for a local alternative newspaper. My office happens to be on the first floor and open to the street. A police officer wandered in to my office instead of the main newspaper office one morning. He realized what type of sales went on here, and asked me if my parents were ashamed of me. He then went on to ask if I sneak in and hide from people passing by my door. I answered that " I walk proudly in to my office everyday and my parents are proud of their daughter for working at a job for a company she loves."

The man looked at me, shrugged, and asked for a piece of candy from the big bowl on my desk. He reached in the other bowl and questioned what the round tins were. They are custom condoms we hand out. He took one for him and his partner and a handful of candy. I just laughed.

We have had resistance to our paper before, when some local town tried getting the stores to ban carrying the paper. Everyone obliged except one store owner who requested more papers be dropped off at his location. We got a lot of press on it which just ended up helping us and making them look ridiculous. I just have never had it said personally to me before. I wish I had seen his name.

A few print publications that used to take adult ads in New York have recently stopped claiming to have bowed to pressure from NOW (the National Organization of Women). Has your paper received any pressure from NOW (or does it even exist in Phoenix)?

Well even if you didn't seehis name. There surely is a sheet with his patrol schedule and I guarantee you haven't forgotten his face. Perhaps a call to Internal Affairs. Don't bother callingthe precinct as they'll just make an excuse or tell you you heard him wrong.. You should have asked him if he didn't have better things to do, like patrolling the streets & keeping them safe!
<<~~~Applauding you!

Last edited:
A few print publications that used to take adult ads in New York have recently stopped claiming to have bowed to pressure from NOW (the National Organization of Women). Has your paper received any pressure from NOW (or does it even exist in Phoenix)?
Our paper is actually in New England. I work out of the Boston office, which is the largest paper as well. The name of the paper is just The Phoenix.

We have not run into any problems with them since I have been here which was last September. My manager has been here over a year and also hasn't experience anything in this office, but has in others she has worked in. I will look into it though. I have heard of NOW before, but not that stuff about NY.

I don't know if there is a multi quote, so I'm doing it this way. Sorry.

Well even if you didn't seehis name. There surely is a sheet with his patrol schedule and I guarantee you haven't forgotten his face. Perhaps a call to Internal Affairs. Don't bother callingthe precinct as they'll just make an excuse or tell you you heard him wrong.. You should have asked him if he didn't have better things to do, like patrolling the streets & keeping them safe!
<<~~~Applauding you!
I didn't even think of that. We have detail officers working all the time doing construction, even on deadline day. Not one of my girls has been bothered by them. Then this dude rolls in on a random day just to try to be an ass. It feels weird to say it, but I was proud of myself as I'm usually shy and don't often stick up for myself.

This guy was either a freak or thought this was some whacked-out kind of flirting. Plenty of cops are mongers, and many cops have no real problem with adult entertainment. But a few get off on busting providers, and more are just doing what they're told.

Our paper is actually in New England. I work out of the Boston office, which is the largest paper as well. The name of the paper is just The Phoenix.

We have not run into any problems with them since I have been here which was last September. My manager has been here over a year and also hasn't experience anything in this office, but has in others she has worked in. I will look into it though. I have heard of NOW before, but not that stuff about NY.
If you do a search on this site, New York Magazine and I think Our Town have both dropped adult ads siting the NOW campaign as their reason. There was some discussion of this within the past six months.

And this whole time I though PhoenixAdult was a guy in Arizona.

Are you bound by contract to only do sales for that publication?
I thought I was going to lurk more than actually post so I didn't put too much time into my username. We have some issues with out of New England branding as most people assume we are in the city of Phoenix.

And I did have to sign a non-compete contract. I can't sell for any other publication for a year once I leave here. We don't have any print competition in this area so it won't be as much of an issue for adult, but we have competition as a whole publication.