Must take Covid test to eat here

This news item created an interesting discussion in my office. What if as a condition to physically returning to work companies mandate that employees must submit to a monthly COVID test or be forced to take the vaccine when available. You won't be fired if you do not follow the mandate, you just won't be allowed to physically return to the office......
How do you reconcile the term "forced" with "You won't be fired ....you just won't be allowed to physically return to the office".

Looks to me that if an employee chooses not to get vaccinated the company will protect the employees in the office from the results of that employee's choice. Note that those in the office who get vaccinated are 95% protected, not 100%.

Ps. I would hope that restaurants will post whether or not all their staff are vaccinated so I will be able to make a better informed decision on whether or not to patronize that restaurant.

How do you reconcile the term "forced" with "You won't be fired ....you just won't be allowed to physically return to the office".

Looks to me that if an employee chooses not to get vaccinated the company will protect the employees in the office from the results of that employee's choice. Note that those in the office who get vaccinated are 95% protected, not 100%.

Ps. I would hope that restaurants will post whether or not all their staff are vaccinated so I will be able to make a better informed decision on whether or not to patronize that restaurant.
I’m not sure if HIPAA laws will allow that if the employee doesn’t want to disclose the fact that he got the vaccine or not.

Please supply the source of the data supporting your post.
I'm sure you know how to google, numerous different sources will come up. I know you are particular with your reading sources, so hopefully one that you find up to your standards will be there.

Also numerous people in the medical field that I'm friends or family with, (RN, PA, MD) stated this to me.

Three people that tested positive for antibodies early April-May now no longer test positive.

I’m not sure if HIPAA laws will allow that if the employee doesn’t want to disclose the fact that he got the vaccine or not.
This is a new situation that we are in. My office never really closed, but in March they did send 90% of the work force home. Later, those of us that were still going in got an email telling us that one of our coworkers tested positive. HIPAA prevented them from telling us who it was.

All this factored into our lively work place discussion. Can a company make getting tested / vaccinated a condition of employment or entry into the building? Certain businesses can, like those that are in the medical field. But can a bank? An auto parts store?

Will the testing stop at COVID? There are deadly things out there.

I'm sure you know how to google, numerous different sources will come up. I know you are particular with your reading sources, so hopefully one that you find up to your standards will be there.

Also numerous people in the medical field that I'm friends or family with, (RN, PA, MD) stated this to me.

Three people that tested positive for antibodies early April-May now no longer test positive.
I agree... I know that is to be true..
But the unknown.. can one catch it again if they have had it already?

I agree... I know that is to be true..
But the unknown.. can one catch it again if they have had it already?
Yes, I have read rumors of 1 or 2 people getting it again. I do not know how true that is either. I don't follow this covid stuff to much. It doesn't concern me, I'm deemed essential so I don't get to work from home, nor did I get any government hand outs.

It has nothing to do with HIPPA, if an employer makes a vaccine mandatory to employment, there will be some blowback here in New York, just as there is with nursing home staff being required to get a flu shot, but in a at-will employment state, there is no way to stop such a mandate. People tend to give HIPPA supernatural powers, but it really is pretty specific as to what it covers, and specifically states what it doesn’t.

As I understand HIPAA it applies to employee protected info related to health insurance, health plans etc. For example, can't an employer require a drug test as a condition of obtaining, and if employed, retaining employment?