Money and Investing (formerly Pfizer Stock prices)

I own Pfizer stock, it's going nowhere.
The short of it is, with respect to the markets and performance...
What should make sense doesn’t and what does not make sense, leaves me SMH. ( P/E ratios, performance etc)

There is a ton of cash available accompanied with historically low rates leaves plenty of room for chasing returns

there is a separate thread for this I believe somewhere..

Here is something crazy about Pfizer. Somebody at work did an analysis of the there 25 year returns an it came out to -8%

I didn't crunch the numbers myself but that sounded insane

Here is something crazy about Pfizer. Somebody at work did an analysis of the there 25 year returns an it came out to -8%

I didn't crunch the numbers myself but that sounded insane
I believe your colleague is mistaken
Closing price December 29 1995 9.95
Today closing 39.21
The current dividend yield is appx 4%
even if we factor in inflation, we are still in positive territory—

There are plenty of other blue chip
stocks that have outperformed PFE-

I own this ( among many others) stock as part of a balanced conservative portfolio

( mods, further discussion could be warrantied, if desired in a different thread)
TY

I believe your colleague is mistaken
Closing price December 29 1995 9.95
Today closing 39.21
The current dividend yield is appx 4%
even if we factor in inflation, we are still in positive territory—

There are plenty of other blue chip
stocks that have outperformed PFE-

I own this ( among many others) stock as part of a balanced conservative portfolio

( mods, further discussion could be warrantied, if desired in a different thread)
TY
We probably have a bunch of professionals in the group, would be a nice thread for us to share thoughts and ideas.

We probably have a bunch of professionals in the group, would be a nice thread for us to share thoughts and ideas.
I have over half my $ in S&P index funds. If you invested in 1995 you would have close to *X your initial investment (not including dividends which are modest - few percent a year but on top of the 8X).

Get a copy of A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel. He is up to his 11th edition.
No nonsense, practical guide to long term investing. A classic.
This is the guy who proved that if you pinned a copy of the WSJ on a wall and had a chimp throw 10 darts at it and invested in those stocks you would do better than almost all of the stock investors or mutual funds.

I have over half my $ in S&P index funds. If you invested in 1995 you would have close to *X your initial investment (not including dividends which are modest - few percent a year but on top of the 8X).

Get a copy of A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel. He is up to his 11th edition.
This is the guy who proved that if you pinned a copy of the WSJ on a wall and had a chimp throw 10 darts at it and invested in those stocks you would do better than almost all of the stock investors or mutual funds.
Yeah, well I’m happy to point you in the direction of the Vanguard study (yes Vanguard, the people that have preached the do it yourself mantra for decades) that shows investors that have used a financial advisor return 3-4% more per year on average. “If you invested...” needs to be followed by “and never touched it...” for that theory to work. I have a relative that may be one of the best investors of all time and he’s only done it for himself. But that’s rare. I get it’s possible. But the average investor should get GOOD ( not always easy to find) professional advice. You wouldn’t do your own root canal would you???

Discipline is the key to successful investing or trading. There is a significant difference. Goals, risk tolerances, cash flow are all things one must take into account when buying stocks, commodities, real estate etc..

There are plenty of resources available. One just needs to know what they want to accomplish :)

pokler

Power Bottom

In general that may be true but other factors have to be taken Into account like style , risk , mkt cap etc.

Yeah, well I’m happy to point you in the direction of the Vanguard study (yes Vanguard, the people that have preached the do it yourself mantra for decades) that shows investors that have used a financial advisor return 3-4% more per year on average. “If you invested...” needs to be followed by “and never touched it...” for that theory to work. I have a relative that may be one of the best investors of all time and he’s only done it for himself. But that’s rare. I get it’s possible. But the average investor should get GOOD ( not always easy to find) professional advice. You wouldn’t do your own root canal would you???
Pleas do point me to that study.

Would recommend Ben Grahams book. I just do call options on pfizer because product mix was lackluster or nearing limits of patent protection before. Turned $4 into $80 (purposefully small to pay hobby) once stage 3 trial started. I would point you to QQQ or similar ETFs.

@genius search ISGQVAA in google for above mentioned study or Vanguard alpha.

i've been reading about this myself in many articles.
i am not an expert but it seems that the earnings/success from the vaccine have already priced in on the stock price as it isn't a long term income that they will consistently have.
moderma will have approval by the FDA by Friday they say so thats half the markershare of the covid vaccine out the window, other countries and regions have early contracts with aztraseneca that is also producing the vaccine.
if they beat the forecaster earnings then it may climb, but it will drop if they foresee that the demand for the vaccine will banish after the first dose.

No I wouldn't do my own root canel. What does that have to do with financial management? BTW, what you just tried to do is a sales 101 trick of using a serious of questions with obvious answers to lead a potential customer to agree with you.
For example here is a script:

You wouldn’t do your own root canal would you?
You want to ear a return greater than the market average, right?
So you should use a skilled financial planner right?

Would recommend Ben Grahams book. I just do call options on pfizer because product mix was lackluster or nearing limits of patent protection before. Turned $4 into $80 (purposefully small to pay hobby) once stage 3 trial started. I would point you to QQQ or similar ETFs.

@genius search ISGQVAA in google for above mentioned study or Vanguard alpha.
From a search on ISGQVAA:
"..advisors could add value, or alpha, through relationship oriented services such as providing cogent wealth management through financial planning, disciple and guidance rather than by trying to outperform the market,..."

Well I feel I don't need that kind of value (and pay for it), thank you.

If you look at the history of the financial experts who run mutual funds, over the long run (pick any 20 year period from whenever financial records were kept) you will see that some of them may have some very good years but over the long run their returns will return to the mean less their management fees. I am assuming, of course, that a financial adviser that you may pick is as skilled has the financial experts who run mutual funds.

So if you were to pick a total stock market index fund with a 0.2% management fee (doesn't take much management so the fee is very low) you will track the market to 99.8%.

If you do that will most of your investment $'s then you can, as I did, play around with a couple of stocks that you may feel have something special that others are overlooking.

In general that may be true but other factors have to be taken Into account like style , risk , mkt cap etc.
Yup, and your age e.g.,you can be a lot more aggressive when you have a 40 year working horizon ahead of you than when you a done with working for pay and are living off your investments.

I own Pfizer stock, it's going nowhere.
You could buy option into january for low price. Also buy the stock now. HFT will soon hit this stock due to the lack of activity. Worst case scenario keep the stock long term for dividend. This company isnt going out of bizf or sure. Its gonna be a stock like kodak after hours up 100 percent. Stock always takes a beating right before. The 1% love sale price also.....

PFE is not a stock that is going to give you scratching your head returns like Tesla, for example...
The downside risk of a stock like PFE is minimal when compared to some other high flyers..
I would add to my portfolio at these levels for a long term hold and dividend play

Thought for today ...
Not liking what is coming out of Europe regarding further lockdowns etc—

I would take a few $$ and buy some S&P puts, or a PUT option in one of the indicies which would reflect a market reaching its peak in the short term..

pokler

Power Bottom
During the past 6 months there were plenty of times you could of made the case that scary news is coming and Market is too high .
Each time you'd of lost big time buying puts and this is no different .

During the past 6 months there were plenty of times you could of made the case that scary news is coming and Market is too high .
Each time you'd of lost big time buying puts and this is no different .
Of course— It’s a matter of timing..

Right now I feel there is more downside risk then upside.. ( at these historic levels)... Where are we going to be in a year from now.. Ypur guess is as good as mine..What does concern me though is all this money that is being printed by the government— The day of reckoning will come ..