Mobil Broadband

I have been using DSL (Verizon) for a number years now and have been generally satisfied with it.
I want to consider whether or not switching to mobil broadband is a smart move. In my situation I would probably access the net from my present location most of the time but would like to have the flexibility to have access to the net when I am on the move.

I would appreciate (as well as other UG'ers, I am sure) if anyone has any experience with the technology to comment on it.

Some of the questions that arise are amoung the following:

In my local area, how reliable is it from a single location. Is one service provider better than others.
In my local area, when on the move is it readily accessible. Are there structural, line of sight, distance impediments to getting a usable signal.

If I have service in NYC, can I access the same service in Chicago, LA, etc. I.E do they have national roaming?

What are the minimum requirements for a laptop needed.

Is the technology sufficient developed at this time that it will be around for a while and not be replaced in several years by a new technology.

I access broadband on my laptop through my Blackberry/cellphone (service through Verizon) using VZAccess. If you already have Verizon service, the cost is negligible, but I've been told that a stand-alone broadband account runs about $ 70 per month.

It's great for getting work done on the train or other locations where I need net access and can't access WiFi, but it's slower than DSL. The software only takes up a couple of kbs, so any decent machine should be fine. I've used it throughout NY/NJ/CT/MA, and I'm pretty sure that there are no additional roaming charges -- but check with your service provider.

One thing, though -- every time that I use the service, the date and time get reset on my Blackberry. I'm pretty good about remembering to reset it, but it has caused me to miss a wake-up alarm once or twice.

Jyris..How do you...

access the itnernet with your laptop using your Blackberry? If there is some way that I can use my laptop to connect with the itnernet while traveling using my Blackberry, nobody told me.
Let me know.

If your Blackberry (or other PDA) is also a cellphone, you may be able to install software on your laptop which will allow you to establish a broadband internet connection. In my case, I have to tether the PDA to the laptop when I want to do so, but who knows, some setups may allow a Bluetooth connection as well.

The software to do so came with my new Blackberry anyway (VZ Access). I had to upgrade my cellular plan to get it to work (whatever the upgrade was, it was very cheap -- like $10/month). Works great, but, as I said, it's slower than cable/DSL/wireless. Since I'm often at locations where I can't get ANY of these, I'm not complaining.

I have used both the Verizon and Sprint mobile broad band. I found the Sprint one to be a bit faster, not sure why but the Verizon one had better coverage. It makes going out looking for hookers a lot easier. I can get on the net from my car and have access to all the sites I need, like UG.

It's not as fast as DSL but it comes close depending on signal strength. I've been able to play internet games while using it.

You can also use this Linksys device to connect multiple PC's to a wireless broadband service:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3463339789B02

Mobile broadband

I have been toying with the idea myself, I have cable and would like to go DirecTV, but I get my interenet via cable. I saw the device that the criscokid linked to. I guess I have to look into this

verizon aircard

I have been using DSL (Verizon) for a number years now and have been generally satisfied with it.
I want to consider whether or not switching to mobil broadband is a smart move. In my situation I would probably access the net from my present location most of the time but would like to have the flexibility to have access to the net when I am on the move.

I would appreciate (as well as other UG'ers, I am sure) if anyone has any experience with the technology to comment on it.

Some of the questions that arise are amoung the following:

In my local area, how reliable is it from a single location. Is one service provider better than others.
In my local area, when on the move is it readily accessible. Are there structural, line of sight, distance impediments to getting a usable signal.

If I have service in NYC, can I access the same service in Chicago, LA, etc. I.E do they have national roaming?

What are the minimum requirements for a laptop needed.

Is the technology sufficient developed at this time that it will be around for a while and not be replaced in several years by a new technology.
I just started using it the aircard is going to cost you about $100 and the sevice monthly about $ 50 bucks .I" ve been happy with it , but I hate paying for acess

It totally depends on where you live, but...

AT&T usually has the best service plan for mobile broadband. Its stand alone fee is $70 flat fee for unlimited usage [lower if you use AT&T cellular phone service as well] as compared to a flat but capped used by other services is cheaper in the long run for most business users who would exceed the $60 fee with extra MBs over the cap in most scenarios. [For instance, Sprint's is $40/mo but is capped at 40MB.]

Since you will be using it for home and business you would definitely exceed the capped bandwidth limits on most other plans.

AT&T also has 3rd generation UMTS deployed, which has about an average 280 Mb/sec throughput both ways with low latency.

It is faster than T-Mobile's 2and Sprint's 2.5G EV-DO technology.

The problem is their UMTS has a limited roll out just now, and will till the end of 2008. So, if you live in the Greater NYC area, meaning NYC and any of the NJ counties [Hudson, Bergen, Union, Essex, Passaic] you will have the faster speed. If not you will fall back to
AT&T's 2.5G "Edge" technology, which is slower than EV-DO. So log onto AT&T's site and check their UTMS coverage map and if it covers where you live that would be my suggestion to you for cellular wireless broadband.

Last edited:
I just started using it the aircard is going to cost you about $100 and the sevice monthly about $ 50 bucks .I" ve been happy with it , but I hate paying for acess
I've had the Verizon aircard for nearly 3 years now and am on my 2nd one (the rev-a model which has higher speeds). With my spotty wi-fi router at home I generally use it at home for most things also. I also travel a lot and it works well EVERYWHERE that Verizon gets a signal, which in the US is more than everywhere else.

Outside of video streaming and heavy downloads it is definitely fast enough to do just about anything you need.