Manhattan DA announces they will stop prosecuting prostitution cases

Base on the article I read, while police will not arrest prostitution it did say they will focus on the Johns so it’s just turning the table .
Have John's ever been prosecuted to any significant degree? Other than LI, I've seen very sporadic efforts to "make an example" of some john's, like once every 5/10 years by posting their mug shots in the newspaper (back when that was a thing)?

The only arrests I've seen have been providers (AMP), and even then, a lawyer from the higher-ups gets them out, and it seems there is no follow-up, but I'm sure it's just a fine.

Have John's ever been prosecuted to any significant degree? Other than LI, I've seen very sporadic efforts to "make an example" of some john's, like once every 5/10 years by posting their mug shots in the newspaper (back when that was a thing)?

The only arrests I've seen have been providers (AMP), and even then, a lawyer from the higher-ups gets them out, and it seems there is no follow-up, but I'm sure it's just a fine.
While John’s was never the target in the past and most times an id check and let go. Due to the change of decriminalize prostitution the new focus will be on John’s. So if you got caught in the past you weren’t the target so you were release. Now if you get caught you be in handcuffs and taken to the station house and charge with a crime whether it’s a ticket to appear or held for arrangements. It still sucks that you got to go thru all that and waste time and you might even miss work. Explaining to your employer why you got arrested well that’s something I don’t care to be in.

With the way thing are going, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Prostitution is legalized in NY. And most likely sooner than later. I can only see it as a win/win for the state. Tax Revenue, regular testing, increased divorce proceedings leading to more court time. I’m all for it. I just hope there’s not a lot of red tape on our end (showing ID, getting vaxed, etc...)

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
With the way thing are going, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Prostitution is legalized in NY. And most likely sooner than later. I can only see it as a win/win for the state. Tax Revenue, regular testing, increased divorce proceedings leading to more court time. I’m all for it. I just hope there’s not a lot of red tape on our end (showing ID, getting vaxed, etc...)
Legalizing it is the worst idea. They should definitely decriminalize it though. This business works just fine the way it is ... other than them trying to put us in jail. Put the people in jail that are robbing clients, robbing the girls, or forcing girls to work... but there’s no reason to harass a girl that’s working to take care of her family and responsibilities . There’s always going to be an underground world with this.

While John’s was never the target in the past and most times an id check and let go. Due to the change of decriminalize prostitution the new focus will be on John’s.
I'm not sure that's going to be the case. I think they're going to try and target the pimps, not that I think it will work.

BTW, How did we go from closing all the strip clubs for BS reasons to decriminalizing prostitution?

The only way to go after Johns is with a sting. So look out for undercover street walkers. Other than that I don't think it will be an issue.
Maybe I am being paranoid, but here is the situation I worry about.

Massage without a license is still a felony, while sex work will not be prosecuted. For the worker at least,

So LE raids an AMP. They ask the provider, "were you doing massage without a license?". "No sir! I was giving a BBJ". The client then gets arrested, while the provider goes free. To avoid a felony arrest all the provider needs to do is admit to sex for payment. Now there will be evidence against the client. Before there was none.

The clients in that Florida debacle, were arrested because there was evidence on tape from a hidden camera. When a judge threw the tape out due to invasion of privacy, the DA had to drop all the charges. Now the DA will have a provider statement.

SUPAMAN

Not here for the bear hunting
Maybe I am being paranoid, but here is the situation I worry about.

Massage without a license is still a felony, while sex work will not be prosecuted. For the worker at least,

So LE raids an AMP. They ask the provider, "were you doing massage without a license?". "No sir! I was giving a BBJ". The client then gets arrested, while the provider goes free. To avoid a felony arrest all the provider needs to do is admit to sex for payment. Now there will be evidence against the client. Before there was none.

The clients in that Florida debacle, were arrested because there was evidence on tape from a hidden camera. When a judge threw the tape out due to invasion of privacy, the DA had to drop all the charges. Now the DA will have a provider statement.
They can't do that because prostitution is still a criminal act therefore defense lawyers could raise technical issues and point out selective prosecution. They could try but the first shark suited downtown defense attorney worth his salt will squash it and set new precedent. John only have to worry about honey pot traps.