Lower Back Issues and Cures

Yesterday when I got out of bed I was bent over in an awkward position. I coughed and injured by lower back. It was painful but really didn't slow me down at first. As I sat in front of a computer during the day I became more and more immobile. Are there exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles in your back and regain flexibility so that you can avoid this in the future?

billyS

Reign of Terror
plat22,

It is not just your back muscles you need to strengthen, you need to strengthen your entire core.

Once your back feels better you need to work on your abs. Forget crunches for now. Crunches are good if you already have a decently strong core and want to tone. Start with full range sit-ups with an ab mat. Then you can move on to pikes and Russian twists and for your back some Good mornings.

If you have a belly, start thinking about diet. A fat belly will put strain on your back.

Also, I'm in IT and spend most of the day at a desk. I make it a point to stand up and stretch my back and take a walk.

Along with your ab work you should do some stretching. Tight hip and hamstrings can pull your pelvis out of wack, affecting your back.

plat22,

It is not just your back muscles you need to strengthen, you need to strengthen your entire core.

Once your back feels better you need to work on your abs. Forget crunches for now. Crunches are good if you already have a decently strong core and want to tone. Start with full range sit-ups with an ab mat. Then you can move on to pikes and Russian twists and for your back some Good mornings.

If you have a belly, start thinking about diet. A fat belly will put strain on your back.

Also, I'm in IT and spend most of the day at a desk. I make it a point to stand up and stretch my back and take a walk.

Along with your ab work you should do some stretching. Tight hip and hamstrings can pull your pelvis out of wack, affecting your back.
All excellent advice.

I've had two surgeries on my lower back due to a herniated disk (long story). Over the years, prior to surgery, I tried just about every possible treatment. Sarno, physical therapy, yoga, stretching, meditation, traction, steroid injections, nerve blocks, acupuncture, massage, accupressure massage, etc. The ONLY thing that ever helped me was (drumroll) swimming. It's low impact. Great exercise, so you'll lose weight naturally simply by swimming regularly. It strengthens the core, the back and the arms and shoulders (which are actually quite important for lower back injury, because you use your arms and shoulders to lower yourself into chairs, push yourself up, open doors), and it stretches you out for better range of motion. I can't recommend it more highly. Don't expect to feel better over night. But I would say that after four to six weeks of swimming two to three times per week, you'll start to feel much better.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Monk, I agree with most of what you are saying except this;

...... the back and the arms and shoulders (which are actually quite important for lower back injury, because you use your arms and shoulders to lower yourself into chairs, push yourself up, open doors),
You should be using your legs to get out of a chair or your car. Plant on your heels and drive your hips up. Your arms are used just to keep your balance. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body. Use them.

This is why so many people have problems with their hips and legs later in life. You don't use them right.

Even people who spend a lot of time in a gym. They spend all their time doing bench presses and curls so they look good at the beach and neglect their legs. Squats are the most important exercise. Done right it approximates lowering yourself into a chair or onto a toilet.

Monk, I agree with most of what you are saying except this;

You should be using your legs to get out of a chair or your car. Plant on your heels and drive your hips up. Your arms are used just to keep your balance. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body. Use them.

This is why so many people have problems with their hips and legs later in life. You don't use them right.

Even people who spend a lot of time in a gym. They spend all their time doing bench presses and curls so they look good at the beach and neglect their legs. Squats are the most important exercise. Done right it approximates lowering yourself into a chair or onto a toilet.
Billy, that is MY biggest problem. I would concentrate on combined exercises to build muscle so that I will continue to be my beatiful self as I am getting older. I completely negleted my core, which I understand gets weaker as you get older. So I am going to change my rutine and add more core exercises, planks...Prone Cobra etc.

Billy you are 100% right about using your legs. I threw my back out years ago and was told I had early degenerative joint disorder (they always come up with some bullshit name for things). After that I ignored follow up treatment and just changed the way I do everything from getting our of bed to picking up things on the floor using the strength of my legs instead of burdening my back. I have never had another back problem again, it takes time and practice to re-train the way you move but eventually it becomes automatic.

My grandma used to hit my back whenever I slouched to remind me to straighten up, she would point out a old woman with a hunchback and yell "do you want to look like her ??". It might sound a little abusive from a modern day parenting perspective but I thank her for it. When I find myself slouching I think of my Grandma and the old hunchbacked woman and straighten up.