Lost in Translation

Originally posted by h. von bingen 1.nah, who's married to sharon dq? think.

2. say dq, do you go to these hojo parties? i could imagine it.

3. also, you should publish a thread of your "little scenarios." it would be an excellent read.
[1] Oh, ozzy. Have you been taking ozzy's "side" instead of slinky's in one of the mega threads that I no longer have time to follow?

[2] I'm afraid I don't have a clue about what a hojo party is (so I doubt that I go to them).

[3] You're probably right about this. I'll give it some thought if I get a chance to relax anytime soon.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Originally posted by justme
they are entirely overwrought.
I do see what you mean, but it made me laugh because that is exactly, word for word, what one of my children says about Shakespeare! And he has a point too...all those suicides and anguished solioquies on the meaning of life and so forth.

-Ww

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by slinkybender
You know that saying about dogs looking like their owners?
I don't doubt it.

I know too many clever girls like that. Maybe that's why her films bother me.

(I'm working on a one word answer for why I don't like Kaufmann)

It has ben stated of late that the "Off Topic" area duplicates conversations that can be had better in other places, but this is my primary on-line community and lately, sports and politics and Arts discussions with people I "know" can be best had here.

I just saw this film today and had been avoiding reading this thread until now.

Thanks Ww for starting this thread and for all who responded. I saw this film by myself, but it's great to have others to hear from and learn from.

Wwanderer

Originally posted by oddfellow4870

1 - this is my primary on-line community and lately, sports and politics and Arts discussions with people I "know" can be best had here.

2 - Thanks Ww for starting this thread and for all who responded. I saw this film by myself, but it's great to have others to hear from and learn from.
1 - This is not currently one of my primary on-line communities, but I think you are 100% right. In fact, I would say that it is exactly the "off topic" discussions that convert net forums (whatever their original purpose) into net communities, rather than something more akin to an interest-group newsletter.

2 - You are welcome, of course. I greatly enjoyed this thread. Maybe you could favor us with your comments on the movie at some point...

-Ww

Movies grow on me, so I would have more to say on a repeat viewing. This one is worth more than one view.

It seemed so obvious to me that he would end up in bed with her. When I realized I was wrong, I saw the film as much more interesting.

There is a natural and appropriate distance between the middle aged man and the 20 something girl and when a young girl seems at all interested in you, just the interest itself is really enough, not sexually of course, but it does make you feel you still have a place in the world of the living.

I was in a production of "Ten Little Indians " once and played opposite a really lovely girl who gave me this glowing note when the show was over. It meant a lot. Sure I would have liked to have gotten in her pants, but her admiration and respect were probably better.

I see the Murray character's chief traits as charm and humor. There was a lot of pathos in the calls home and you could just tell that when the wife doesn't respond and seems so disconnected, he really misses making a real connection. The commercials and the language isolation make him feel even more disconnected.

So, the young lass meets the need.

Not too profound, just a few reactions.

Wwanderer

1 - There is a natural and appropriate distance between the middle aged man and the 20 something girl and when a young girl seems at all interested in you, just the interest itself is really enough, not sexually of course, but it does make you feel you still have a place in the world of the living..

2 - Not too profound
Italics added.

#1 shows #2 to be incorrect, imo; I think it is an excellent insight.

-Ww

There is a natural and appropriate distance between the middle aged man and the 20 something girl and when a young girl seems at all interested in you, just the interest itself is really enough, not sexually of course, but it does make you feel you still have a place in the world of the living.

I hear you. It's one of the nice perks of an academic gig. I hope they never learn what a perv I really am!

It has often been a fear of mine that women would be able to read minds. I get this image of a Times Square news scroll across my forehead. How can they not know what's going on in my head? G-d help me if the ever new what was going on in mine. Never mind whether they are young or not.

Perv forever!

This is the most fucking profound post on this website.

Movies grow on me, so I would have more to say on a repeat viewing. This one is worth more than one view.

It seemed so obvious to me that he would end up in bed with her. When I realized I was wrong, I saw the film as much more interesting.

I was in a production of "Ten Little Indians " once and played opposite a really lovely girl who gave me this glowing note when the show was over. It meant a lot. Sure I would have liked to have gotten in her pants, but her admiration and respect were probably better.

I see the Murray character's chief traits as charm and humor. There was a lot of pathos in the calls home and you could just tell that when the wife doesn't respond and seems so disconnected, he really misses making a real connection. The commercials and the language isolation make him feel even more disconnected.

So, the young lass meets the need.

Not too profound, just a few reactions.